Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
May 10, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #3,121 of 4,593
So how does the DT1350 fare with an unamped portable player?

May 10, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #3,122 of 4,593
Quote:
So how does the DT1350 fare with an unamped portable player?

IIRC not as well as the competition - it likes a better source more than an HD25 or M-80 or ES10.

May 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #3,123 of 4,593
Great thread! Just what I needed but I'm still not able to decide.  

I'm looking for a portable headphone in $50-$100 (lower the better) range with a neutral sound signature. I was going to get the Senn HD238s but read a lot of negative reviews and being open air doesn't really help my case. I was just wodnering if it might be worthwhile to just wait and get m80s! Any suggestions?
I mostly listen to rock and heavy metal but really I listen to everything....from Norah Jones to Metallica (Currently playing Nightwish on repeat)

-Thank you

May 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #3,124 of 4,593
I'd recommend the HD 219's. They are Sennheiser's reboot of the HD 218 / 228 / 238 line. The 219's are the lowest of the bunch and the cheapest. Basically they sound a little better, with some tweaks (better low end, more clarity, a bit easier to drive and thus they work better unamped than they did previously). 

You can get the HD 219's for around $50. Excellent headphones for that price. I don't think you'll get much more for the step up ones. I believe the next one up in the line is just a bit louder/ more efficient. The last one is the open version, which I don't really recommend. 

Check out my review thread, should be on the first page still. 

That said...ljokerl, you should totally review the HD 219's! :) I just got them and I'm totally in love. 

May 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #3,126 of 4,593
Quote:
Great thread! Just what I needed but I'm still not able to decide.  

I'm looking for a portable headphone in $50-$100 (lower the better) range with a neutral sound signature. I was going to get the Senn HD238s but read a lot of negative reviews and being open air doesn't really help my case. I was just wodnering if it might be worthwhile to just wait and get m80s! Any suggestions?
I mostly listen to rock and heavy metal but really I listen to everything....from Norah Jones to Metallica (Currently playing Nightwish on repeat)

-Thank you

The HD238 is not a neutral headphone. The PX200-II and HD428 are both better options for what you want - and closed. I would also pick the Beyer DT235 over the HD238 for a closed all-rounder. 

May 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #3,127 of 4,593
The PX 200 II's are good. I own them (although I need to replace the plug...it shorted out on me). But, be warned that they are rather bass lite. Yes they are neutral, but the bass frequencies, in my opinion, should always get a small bump just because bass frequencies are the easiest ones to have drowned out by ambient noise. Particularly when you are out and about. Plus, they aren't the more rewarding for heavier music for me, particularly Metallica's stuff (since the bass in their music isn't always very audible). 

May 15, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #3,128 of 4,593
Thanks guys! I got a bit adventurous and pre-ordered this Philips . Looks like they use the same driver as the 'Downtown' and 'Uptown' and I've heard only good things about them. The form factor looks like something I was looking for and is in the lower end of my budget! Hopefully this turns out to be good and not very bass heavy (looks like it might be!). 

May 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #3,129 of 4,593
I'm new to the forum so any help that could be given would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for a pair of wireless bluetooth headphones, along the wireless beats ilk, with a built-in mic (rather than one on the cable), an optional cable for flight use, and preferably controls on the cup. I have come across numerous poor reviews of the beats, which is why I am looking elsewhere. I'm aware of the Sennheiser MM450s, however I don't find them aesthetically appealing, which is a little trivial I'm aware but for £200-300 I would like to be completely sold on a pair. I was looking at the Fanny Wang 3000s but was disappointed to find out the mic was on the cord. I plan to use them predominantly for home use, with the view to also use them when travelling. Noise cancellation isn't a must, but would be a plus. I've tried to be as detailed as possible, so thanks for reading and any help I may be offered. 

May 16, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #3,130 of 4,593
I have the YUIN G2A as well as the AudioTechnica M50's, both of which were bought a long long time ago, pretty much because of this thread's reviews.

At the time I thought that the M50's were a definitive upgrade, and the YUINs had zero headtime for over a year.

But later I upgraded to Hifiman HE400's, and came to realize just now imbalanced and coloured the M50's actually sound. Going back to the YUINs wow, it's incredibly balanced, and is much more musical than I thought.

The mids are fantastic and has a much more realistic timbre than the M50's, the treble is slightly more rolled off but at the same time smoother and less spiky/sibilant compared to the M50's. Bass is great also, much punchier and less boomy than the M50's.

Of course neither of the two could hold a candle to the HE400's but that is several tiers up the foodchain, still it's interesting how exposure to better gear make me review older gear in a more enlightened manner.

May 16, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #3,131 of 4,593
Well,

I've read, read and read again this thread and many others.

I'm after some portable on ear headphones, preferably with removable cable but must be closed back as will be worn in public (transport/work etc)

My music taste is house/dance, I've tried sennheiser px360 - liked the sound but got a little hot, not got akg k450's - size wise pretty much on the money but feel they lack a little compared to the sennheiser

Budget around £150, other than the sennheiser hd25's what else would be recommended?

May 16, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #3,132 of 4,593
Quote:
Well,
I've read, read and read again this thread and many others.
I'm after some portable on ear headphones, preferably with removable cable but must be closed back as will be worn in public (transport/work etc)
My music taste is house/dance, I've tried sennheiser px360 - liked the sound but got a little hot, not got akg k450's - size wise pretty much on the money but feel they lack a little compared to the sennheiser
Budget around £150, other than the sennheiser hd25's what else would be recommended?

Never heard the PX360 or the K450 but the V-Moda M-80 is right around that price and worth checking out. 

May 17, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #3,133 of 4,593
Thanks joker, I'll see if I can audition a pair

I've also looked at (but not listened to):

Aiaiai tma-1
Audio technica ath or7 - hardly any info on these
eskuche 45

All seem like they could fit the bill

May 17, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #3,135 of 4,593
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be sure to check them out if I can find stock locally

They do seem very well reviewed, the tma's above also seem quite well reviewed as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back