Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jan 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #2,747 of 4,593
Replied in wrong thread, deleted

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #2,750 of 4,593

Quote:
Hey joker, any plans to add the m80s to the fashion v. function thread?

Hah, no - I think that one's better off being a one-time deal. I already have trouble finding time for this thread.

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #2,753 of 4,593

Quote:
This is pretty random, but would you consider a K181 at $100 a good deal? I've made the mistake of checking out more headphones on Amazon... Also, how well would they work as portables?

That's about the most I would pay for them unless I really wanted that 'club' sound signature. They are reasonably portable but not much more so than an M50 or HP700 or any of the other average-sized DJ cans despite being supraaurals. The detachable cable is a plus for portability, especially if you can get a shorter one for portable use (it uses the same mini XLR plug as the K702 and some other AKG cans). Don't plan to wear them 'round the neck when not in use because they choke.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #2,754 of 4,593

Quote:
That's about the most I would pay for them unless I really wanted that 'club' sound signature. They are reasonably portable but not much more so than an M50 or HP700 or any of the other average-sized DJ cans despite being supraaurals. The detachable cable is a plus for portability, especially if you can get a shorter one for portable use (it uses the same mini XLR plug as the K702 and some other AKG cans). Don't plan to wear them 'round the neck when not in use because they choke.

Wow, thanks, that pretty much answered all the questions I had and didn't explicitly ask! You are a truly amazing person.

Jan 7, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #2,757 of 4,593
Joker,

I know you have tried the Radius HP-TWF21's (which I currently love and have as my favorite IEM besides the e-Q5 and the GR10). After looking through this thread, I am stuck for a decision...

I'd like a portable headphone with a very deep, punchy, speedy, and controlled low end, a smooth midrange that's lush, smooth treble, and a big overall extension (Not airy or separated, just big).

EDIT: Price doesn't matter.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #2,758 of 4,593

Quote:
Joker,

I know you have tried the Radius HP-TWF21's (which I currently love and have as my favorite IEM besides the e-Q5 and the GR10). After looking through this thread, I am stuck for a decision...

I'd like a portable headphone with a very deep, punchy, speedy, and controlled low end, a smooth midrange that's lush, smooth treble, and a big overall extension (Not airy or separated, just big).

EDIT: Price doesn't matter.

Closest is probably the M-80 - it covers the depth, punch, and smoothness, has decent speed and control, and doesn't lack for space considering it's a small on-ear portable.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #2,759 of 4,593
Joker, nice job! I would like to see you review the JVC HA-S160. I haven't heard the HA-S150, and I believe the HA-S160 should earn more than 5 out 10 for sound. I would also like to see you review the Samson SR850. It is made by Superlux. Some say it is the same as the Superlux 668B, however the 668B is 56 ohms, and the SR850 is only 32 ohms. Another two headphones you should imo add are the JVC HA-S600 and HA-S650. The HA-S650 is much more compact and sounds better, however the HA-S600 is cheaper. I wrote reviews of the S650 and S600, however it would be nice if you would review them and add them to your list.

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #2,760 of 4,593
Joker,

Thanks for the excellant review. This is a great resource for people starting out their collection in learning what they like and don't like as well as what they expect from their headphones. I recently started getting into "better" headphones you have found it quite daunting.  So far I've been able to find some pretty good deals through Amazon on some great earbuds and headphones, including the UE TripleFi 10;s, Sennheiser 448s, Klipsch s4i & s51, as well as the Image Ones.  I also have some various earbuds I have collected through deals, et.c (Meelectronics, etc.)  I splurged and bought the B&W P5s as my "babys."  So far, I have used them as my everyday headphones but winters in Chicago can be harsh and I am not sure I want to use them everyday for my walk to the train and then to work and back.  The Image Ones have been good for that though.  I bought the V-moda which sounded great but pinched my ears a little bit too much and were uncomfortable - maybe I didn't give them enough time . 

Still, I want to keep hearing new cans.  Although I am open to any recommendations, I have narrowed my next pair down to three possibilities.  I aim to spend between 100 and $200.  So far, I am interested in the Sennheiser 25HD1-IIs, the Grado SR60i (or 80i) or possibly giving the V-Moda M80's another shot.  I did like them but could only wear them for about an hour before my left ear would start hurting.  They were a bit bassy for my tastes although I didn't mind.  

For reference, I like the B&Ws because of their "natural" sound (sorry, I do not have the lingo down yet).  That doesn't mean I won't like any other type of cans though - I guess I am not sure what I like.  I listen to a lot of rock, punk, indie....not so much hip-hop.

Any recommendations?   I am open to anything within the price range I mentioned above. I would like to on-ear headphones, as I have a small head and some of the full size cans look ridiculous (not that that should matter, but when I am riding the train or walking through the city I get a bit self-conscious (I know this through various sunglass purchases, etc and know it will be the same with cans).  But, again him open to anything that might be recommended. 

Also, for more information, I mainly use my iPhone 4S as my main player and do not have any amps. I am researching portable amplifiers so if you have any recommendations as to those, I am open as well.  I just don't want to break the bank at this point while I am still trying to figure out what I like don't like.

Thanks again and sorry for the long post. Anyone is welcome to chime in.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back