Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Apr 1, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #1,861 of 4,593

The K430 is a musical-sounding headphone that leans slightly towards smooth-and-fluid rather than tight and accurate. The DT235 is a little more dry and a lot less colored. I think they are both good all-rounders, just different. If portability is important, I'd get the K430. It's a lot less ugly and a lot more portable. Otherwise get the DT235. It's the better headphone technically and should be more comfortable as well. Never heard the K412 but both of these are fairly balanced. If the K412 is considered a bass-heavy headphone, these may be too bass-light for you.

Oh and thanks, glad the thread has been helpful 
beerchug.gif

No plans for any of these at this time

i think i will pick 430
since portability is an issue i considered
and musical sounding sounds more interesting for me :D

thanx :)[/quote]
sorry to buggin you again :xf_eek:

after few thought i change my mind :p
i will cross out akg since i decide to try other brand
and portability is not an issue as long i can put it easily into my bag

so now the candidates are beyer dt 235 and numark PHX( is it the same with PHX pro??)
which one u recommend for rock and jazz listening??:D
or do you have better recommendation??full size is OK as long as they are easy to drive(budget around $60)
but no grado n ATH as those hard to find in german :frowning2:

thanx a lot

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #1,862 of 4,593

Quote:
after few thought i change my mind :p
i will cross out akg since i decide to try other brand
and portability is not an issue as long i can put it easily into my bag

so now the candidates are beyer dt 235 and numark PHX( is it the same with PHX pro??)
which one u recommend for rock and jazz listening??
biggrin.gif

or do you have better recommendation??full size is OK as long as they are easy to drive(budget around $60)
but no grado n ATH as those hard to find in german
frown.gif

thanx a lot

The PHX is a very colored headphone with forward mids and a good amount of added bass kick. It's great from a functionality standpoint - multiple cables, multiple pads, collapsible structure - but the signature may not be ideal for jazz. However, genre and signature preferences don't necessarily go hand in hand so YMMV. I'd probably play it safe and get the DT235 unless you feel that a relatively balanced level of bass won't cut it for you.

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #1,863 of 4,593
In the class. That is, K-430 and K-518 (AKG's direct counterpart by price/"startup DJ" class) sound rather muffled compared to DN-HP500. The big expensive headphone sets are a different story.

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #1,865 of 4,593
I have not heard the MS300. Between the MS400 and Q460 there is really no clear winner except in bass. The MS400 just walks circles around the AKGs when it comes to rumble, power, and impact.

Quote:
How do the AKG Q460 compare with the Phiaton MS 300/400? I am struggling to choose between the two as I prefer a bassier sound but would really like a detachable cord...

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #1,868 of 4,593
Would you say the Q460 has good sound quality? From the few reviews I have read on here there seems to be some mixed feelings about them. My only concern with MS300/400s is the cord. The cord always tends to be my downfall. I really wish they were detachable!

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #1,869 of 4,593

Quote:
I have not heard the MS300. Between the MS400 and Q460 there is really no clear winner except in bass. The MS400 just walks circles around the AKGs when it comes to rumble, power, and impact.

The MS300 is the least bassy of the Phiaton family, although with an amp it is the "punchiest".

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #1,872 of 4,593

Quote:
Would you say the Q460 has good sound quality? From the few reviews I have read on here there seems to be some mixed feelings about them. My only concern with MS300/400s is the cord. The cord always tends to be my downfall. I really wish they were detachable!

The Q460 is a good headphone, probably the most capable of all the consumer-class mini portables. It doesn't have a whole lot of bass and its clarity and detail levels really aren't outstanding so I can see how it would leave many unimpressed. However, it is very effortless and dynamic and has no trouble combining decent levels of texture with liquid smoothness. $170 or whatever the asking price is a little much next to many of the DJ cans, Sony ZX700s, Phiatons, etc but when you factor in portability it's not a bad buy. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #1,873 of 4,593
Well I've finally had my Sony MDR ZX700's for about a week now and as a noob I can definately hear the difference.

They have certainly improved after some burning in time as initially they sounded really tigt and harsh with not much bass - however after about 5 hours burning in they have loosened up and opened out to give a really rich warm sound with nice bass and from what I can hear a good deal of separation in the frequencies,

I've been more used to IEM's of late but these full size cans just seem to give off a nicer sound altogether - and they're not so big that you can't wear them out and about too.......

I also seem to like them unamped better too (I only have a Fiio E7 right enough).

Joker - you were right about burning them in and noticing a difference from the portapros too....

My ears like them muchly!

I recommend them to anyone - but still not many reviews of them out there.

Cheers,

hp

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #1,874 of 4,593
I got my ZX700 back from Joker and they were still changing. The bass takes a long while to settle in. Quite a difference in dynamics, separation, and layering from out of the box to a couple hundred hours.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #1,875 of 4,593
I find myself in the category of the "unimpressed". The mids and highs were alright, but I found myself pushing them beyond their intended design in the bass area. Really nice for Electronic / DJ barring the lacking bass. They made the intro of Red Heat by Tosca sound pretty seizure inducing. I fear I will have to give up and go with some m50's or K181's. I didn't quite want to go that large, but I'm tired of searching.

My last hope was the RocNation Aviator or Klipsch Image One. I tried them both at BB today and found the Aviator to be pretty bass light. I had to pump up the bass far too much on my EQ to get anything out of them. The Klipsch wasn't a bad setup, but the mid's sounded really tinny. Very uninspiring. I'm back to my PortaPro's for rock and Turbines for most everything else...until I can snag the m50 or K181. (haven't decided on which)

Quote:

The Q460 is a good headphone, probably the most capable of all the consumer-class mini portables. It doesn't have a whole lot of bass and its clarity and detail levels really aren't outstanding so I can see how it would leave many unimpressed. However, it is very effortless and dynamic and has no trouble combining decent levels of texture with liquid smoothness. $170 or whatever the asking price is a little much next to many of the DJ cans, Sony ZX700s, Phiatons, etc but when you factor in portability it's not a bad buy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back