Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Mar 23, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #1,831 of 4,593
you mean there are 3 kinds of beats? and one more expensive than the other?! ....

and as much as I like my Superlux HD668b, i dont think it qualifies as a "portable" headphone

Yea again, you definition of that will vary. To me, it just mean anything I can power to good sound from a portable source. I know people that walked around with RX700s lol, and I happily walk around with my Samson's at the moment. But as I admitted, it's a bit of a stretch. I posted more because I know a lot of people look at this thread even when they aren't strictly looking for something small. Besides, some of the headphones on this thread aren't so tiny(looks at XB700 =P)

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #1,832 of 4,593

Quote:
Hey guys,

I had read your reviews carefully and I was looking for a headphone for mainstream pop songs (Kesha, gaga, and the likes). Which one suited the most for that genre? Because pop nowadays have a very bad engineered songs. They tend to have low bass and over-pierced high. I used to listen to them with Sennheiser MX980, but I found the bass to be lacking much and the highs is a bit too much. I had tried the HD 25 II but it can handle the songs highs. So now, I narrowed my choices to B&W P5 and Creative Aurvana Live. Or is there any other options? I won't use them with any amplifier as it would be portable (this excludes M50 for its telephone cable) and will be put inside my small postman bag.

I think the CAL! offers much better value for money than the P5. What it will come down to is portability - the CAL! is large (circumaural), only moderately-isolating, and somewhat fragile. The P5 is much smaller, much more isolating, and (except for the cable) built like a tank. The Phiaton MS400 is somewhere between these two on all counts and may be worth looking into.

Quote:
Or to cut it short... Joker would you be able to review the Samson SR 850 please?  
smile.gif
  Or the even cheaper Superlux 681? 
gs1000.gif

Thanks for the tl;dr. These headphones have been suggested previously but I don't think the 681 follows my criteria for a portable. To be included in this thread a headphone must be at least one of the following:
a. Supraaural
b. Flat-folding or collapsible
c. Equipped with a portable-length (<5ft) cable. 

Quote:
My bad; I actually meant the Beats Pro.

OP you gotta try Beats Pro.

I think I'm done with Monster cans for the time being. 

Quote:
Yea again, you definition of that will vary. To me, it just mean anything I can power to good sound from a portable source. I know people that walked around with RX700s lol, and I happily walk around with my Samson's at the moment. But as I admitted, it's a bit of a stretch. I posted more because I know a lot of people look at this thread even when they aren't strictly looking for something small. Besides, some of the headphones on this thread aren't so tiny(looks at XB700 =P)

The XB700 does fit one of my portable criteria (see above) so it qualifies. Other cans, like my DT770/250, JVC DX1/DX3, MB Quarts, etc simply did not and had to be left out. Let me know if either of the cans you suggested qualify as portable and I'll add them to the 'want' list.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #1,834 of 4,593

I think the CAL! offers much better value for money than the P5. What it will come down to is portability - the CAL! is large (circumaural), only moderately-isolating, and somewhat fragile. The P5 is much smaller, much more isolating, and (except for the cable) built like a tank. The Phiaton MS400 is somewhere between these two on all counts and may be worth looking into.

Thanks for the tl;dr. These headphones have been suggested previously but I don't think the 681 follows my criteria for a portable. To be included in this thread a headphone must be at least one of the following:
a. Supraaural
b. Flat-folding or collapsible
c. Equipped with a portable-length (<5ft) cable. 

I think I'm done with Monster cans for the time being. 

The XB700 does fit one of my portable criteria (see above) so it qualifies. Other cans, like my DT770/250, JVC DX1/DX3, MB Quarts, etc simply did not and had to be left out. Let me know if either of the cans you suggested qualify as portable and I'll add them to the 'want' list.

Ahh I see your criteria now.

In that case then the Superlux 668B should fit your criteria. The other models mentioned have a standard really long cable, but the 668B's one is detachable and includes different length ones in the package, one of them being 3.3 ft long.

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #1,836 of 4,593

Quote:
Are the MS300s on your to-review list? 
bigsmile_face.gif

No. There's a very good comparison of the MS300 and MS400 out there so I figured my time is better spent elsewhere.

Quote:
Ahh I see your criteria now.

In that case then the Superlux 668B should fit your criteria. The other models mentioned have a standard really long cable, but the 668B's one is detachable and includes different length ones in the package, one of them being 3.3 ft long.

Ah. thanks - I appreciate the info.

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #1,837 of 4,593
I agree on the 668bs, I have them, and use them portably, mostly because I dont have another headphone, only IEMs...I'm interested to see your opinion on them. If you lived on the east coast, and I wasnt so busy with school, I'd have no problem lending them to you to review...

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #1,838 of 4,593
joker,
if you ever want to review another cheapie, I'd be interested to see your impression of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kanon-Extra-Comfort-30mm-Speaker-Stereo-Headphones-MP12-/190515742789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5b9f8845

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,840 of 4,593
Just joining to say thanks for the comprehensive reviews.  New to the whole audiophile thing as I was never super big into music in high school or college even.  Trying to pick up a pair of the Audio Technica M50S (not the M50, using them at work so closed back helps I would think).  Keep up with the reviews as they were really helpful.

One question I did have was it seems like as the price and quality go up its harder and harder to find a 3.5mm jack on the headphone.  Is this just because of the use of 1/4" jacks in professional studios and equipment is more prevalent?*

*Based on my limited knowledge I'm assuming that larger jacks allow for information to be passed through and thus better sound.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #1,841 of 4,593
Just joining to say thanks for the comprehensive reviews.  New to the whole audiophile thing as I was never super big into music in high school or college even.  Trying to pick up a pair of the Audio Technica M50S (not the M50, using them at work so closed back helps I would think).  Keep up with the reviews as they were really helpful.

One question I did have was it seems like as the price and quality go up its harder and harder to find a 3.5mm jack on the headphone.  Is this just because of the use of 1/4" jacks in professional studios and equipment is more prevalent?*

*Based on my limited knowledge I'm assuming that larger jacks allow for information to be passed through and thus better sound.

First off, the M50s is exactly the same as the regular M50, the only difference is that the S has a straight cord as opposed to a coiled cord. Both models also have a 1/8" plug, but with a 1/4" adapter screwed on. As for the 1/4" plug dilemma, I think it's because stereo systems generally use 1/4" jacks (for the reasons you mentioned), so high-end manufacturers tend to put the larger plugs (and longer cables) on their higher-end headphones, so they're easier to use at home... I think...

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #1,843 of 4,593

Quote:
First off, the M50s is exactly the same as the regular M50, the only difference is that the S has a straight cord as opposed to a coiled cord. Both models also have a 1/8" plug, but with a 1/4" adapter screwed on. As for the 1/4" plug dilemma, I think it's because stereo systems generally use 1/4" jacks (for the reasons you mentioned), so high-end manufacturers tend to put the larger plugs (and longer cables) on their higher-end headphones, so they're easier to use at home... I think...

Thanks for the correction on the M50/M50S confusion I had going on, thought I saw that they were different, my bad.

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #1,844 of 4,593

Quote:

I think all of the headphones in this review have 1/8" plugs. Some include 1/4" adapters though. 

1/4" plugs are popular because they were the de facto standard until portable audio began to take shape in the 1990s. There is no reason for a larger contact area to yield better sound.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #1,845 of 4,593

Quote:
I think all of the headphones in this review have 1/8" plugs. Some include 1/4" adapters though. 

1/4" plugs are popular because they were the de facto standard until portable audio began to take shape in the 1990s. There is no reason for a larger contact area to yield better sound.

Agreed.  The larger jack is just for durability IMO.  The 1/4 is a lot harder to bend or snap off if you use your headphone in an environment with a lot of people moving about or bumping into things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back