Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Mar 19, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #1,801 of 4,593
Well the PortaPro's arrived today - so far so good - Much comfier than I thought (apart from the hair pulling >< ).

Separation of sound and stereo performance (I guess this is "soundstage"?) seems improved over some of the IEM's I've been using (which were very much bass orientated) - but still bass response seems nice and full and a bit of Miles Davis showed some nice clarity and detail too - I like them!

So now just got to keep with them and wait for the MDR ZX700's to pop through the door next week sometime :)

I don't know if there are any mods worth doing on the PP's straight away or not - will do some reading but at the moment pretty happy with their sig.

Cheers,

hp

Mar 19, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #1,802 of 4,593
Just picked up the PX200ii for 60 bucks.  Straight out of the box they are pretty solid little cans.  I wouldn't foresee them changing much over time.  They are very even across the spectrum.  Not crisp on the upper end and not booming on the lower end.  Funny thing you get the feeling like the bass wants to boom, but stops just short.  Kind of a strange thing. 

I'll say this....they are a LOT smaller than I thought they would be.  Man, they are freakin tiny!!!  Remarkable isolation though for such a small headphone.  Don't have one around to test, but they might might be no bigger than a half dollar.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #1,803 of 4,593
I remember trying porta pros a while ago. Has anyone else had the problem of the little hook catching on your ear?

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #1,804 of 4,593
Quote:
Well the PortaPro's arrived today - so far so good - Much comfier than I thought (apart from the hair pulling >< ).

Separation of sound and stereo performance (I guess this is "soundstage"?) seems improved over some of the IEM's I've been using (which were very much bass orientated) - but still bass response seems nice and full and a bit of Miles Davis showed some nice clarity and detail too - I like them!

So now just got to keep with them and wait for the MDR ZX700's to pop through the door next week sometime :)

I don't know if there are any mods worth doing on the PP's straight away or not - will do some reading but at the moment pretty happy with their sig.

Awesome. My advice - let the ZX700 burn in for a bit and then switch to them exclusively for a couple of days. SQ differences are always more apparent retrospectively so you'll have an easier time putting your finger on what exactly it is the ZX700s are doing right by moving back down to the portapros after getting used to the Sonys. 

Quote:
Just picked up the PX200ii for 60 bucks.  Straight out of the box they are pretty solid little cans.  I wouldn't foresee them changing much over time.  They are very even across the spectrum.  Not crisp on the upper end and not booming on the lower end.  Funny thing you get the feeling like the bass wants to boom, but stops just short.  Kind of a strange thing. 

I'll say this....they are a LOT smaller than I thought they would be.  Man, they are freakin tiny!!!  Remarkable isolation though for such a small headphone.  Don't have one around to test, but they might might be no bigger than a half dollar.

Good buy. Oh, and if you think the PX200s are small, don't buy the Soundmagic P10 or P20 - those are so tiny it's silly.

Quote:
I remember trying porta pros a while ago. Has anyone else had the problem of the little hook catching on your ear?

Nope, but I did hate the headband for latching on to my hair. Had the same problem with the dB Logic HP-100s.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #1,805 of 4,593
Quote:

If a knife was attached to it, it would be the portable Swiss army knife headphone. The little PX200 II is very impressive for what it does well and despite the - in my opinion - emphasis on vocals it is a very good all rounder.   

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #1,806 of 4,593
No doubt.  They are pretty impressive little headphones.  Not your typical Senn veiled sound.  It was 60 well spent.  Glad I popped in there to look.  I'll enjoy spending quite a bit of time with them.  Haven't really found a good use for the volume control and clip yet....but it's not so heavy that it makes a big difference.  Just a little cumbersome. 

Quote:
Quote:
If a knife was attached to it, it would be the portable Swiss army knife headphone. The little PX200 II is very impressive for what it does well and despite the - in my opinion - emphasis on vocals it is a very good all rounder.   

Oh my.. The P10 or P20 might actually be an earbud on my head! lol.

Quote:
Quote:

Good buy. Oh, and if you think the PX200s are small, don't buy the Soundmagic P10 or P20 - those are so tiny it's silly.

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #1,808 of 4,593

Quote:
Wow, this thread is incredibly helpful, I think I'm gonna buy the V6 :D

Hey joker, don't you wanna give me yours? My birthday is in April :D

My V6 was a loaner pair from another head-fier. Sorry!

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #1,809 of 4,593

Quote:
My V6 was a loaner pair from another head-fier. Sorry!

and I heard from a good source that said head-fier likes them and wont get rid of them anytime soon 
ph34r.gif

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #1,810 of 4,593
How about one of the other 5000? No? Aww..too bad :D

It was a joke, mate :D I live in Portugal so you would probably pay more than Mcprogger paid for the headphones just to ship them to me :D

But I have a question, are they good for rock? I wanted Grados but they're open...

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #1,811 of 4,593

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGfpc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But I have a question, are they good for rock? I wanted Grados but they're open...

I have no problems using the V6 for rock. They are pretty good all-rounders though, as mentioned, not quite perfect.

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #1,813 of 4,593
Nice. Bit surprised that they don't even bother competing with their own headphone's bang for buck. Do you plan on reviewing some Bose cans too? It may help some young head-fi -ers in convincing their friends that the audio community does not think it's "the best". I really like the conclusion btw. 100% agreed.

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #1,814 of 4,593

Nicely put Joker, hopefully it will bust some audio myths.

The monster beats look like a rip off. i wouldnt mind paying 80$ for them, maybe 100$ if the ANC works as good as it suppose to. they look nice, but that is about it. ... 275?! wow, one can get a serious headphone for that money.. 

and whats the deal with the specs? are they scared someone might find out something or maybe they dont know its own headphone specs...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back