Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Mar 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #1,846 of 4,593
I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this about the Beats Studio but i think you should have mentioned that although they block out a lot of noise, they leak music as if they were open phones. I guess you kinda did when you said the passive noise blocking sucked.

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #1,847 of 4,593
Joker, it's too bad you don't review Shure units... I just picked up the Shure SRH750DJ, and while the design is pretty meh compared to other DJ sets (all plastic, HORRIBLE pressure at the very top due to not conforming to my head shape/size) they sound much better than most of the bass-heavy competition. Overall signature is very similar to the M50, but more low bass, less midbass, a balanced midrange, and sparkly treble without sounding treble-forward. Basically it sounds like the entire frequency spectrum of the M50 was shifted down a few Hz...

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #1,848 of 4,593

Quote:
Joker, it's too bad you don't review Shure units... I just picked up the Shure SRH750DJ, and while the design is pretty meh compared to other DJ sets (all plastic, HORRIBLE pressure at the very top due to not conforming to my head shape/size) they sound much better than most of the bass-heavy competition. Overall signature is very similar to the M50, but more low bass, less midbass, a balanced midrange, and sparkly treble without sounding treble-forward. Basically it sounds like the entire frequency spectrum of the M50 was shifted down a few Hz...

i had a pair of those and they were amazing but had to much bass. i settled on the shure srh840 in the end. i would be curious to see joker's review of both of these units. and how they compare to the others posted. they both fold in so i think they classify as portables.

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #1,851 of 4,593
hello,
nice thread you have here!!:)

im interested in beyer 235 and akg 430 from your review
however im new here and cant fully understand the sound's word description

maybe you can help by describing which music suits for each of them??
if i can get both in same price, which one will u recomend n have more value??
i listen to various music so i dont have any preferences of sound type

it will help if u can compare to akg 412p as these are headphone i own now :D
source is from clip+

thanx a lot

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #1,853 of 4,593

Quote:
hello,
nice thread you have here!!
smily_headphones1.gif

im interested in beyer 235 and akg 430 from your review
however im new here and cant fully understand the sound's word description

maybe you can help by describing which music suits for each of them??
if i can get both in same price, which one will u recomend n have more value??
i listen to various music so i dont have any preferences of sound type

it will help if u can compare to akg 412p as these are headphone i own now
biggrin.gif

source is from clip+

thanx a lot

The K430 is a musical-sounding headphone that leans slightly towards smooth-and-fluid rather than tight and accurate. The DT235 is a little more dry and a lot less colored. I think they are both good all-rounders, just different. If portability is important, I'd get the K430. It's a lot less ugly and a lot more portable. Otherwise get the DT235. It's the better headphone technically and should be more comfortable as well. Never heard the K412 but both of these are fairly balanced. If the K412 is considered a bass-heavy headphone, these may be too bass-light for you.

Oh and thanks, glad the thread has been helpful 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
mymail0808 said:
mymail0808
Hi Joker;

Are you going to incorporate the new Denon D310, 510 & 1100 in your list? thanx a lot

No plans for any of these at this time

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #1,854 of 4,593
Mar 31, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #1,855 of 4,593
Quote:
it will help if u can compare to akg 412p as these are headphone i own now
biggrin.gif

source is from clip+

thanx a lot

AKG K-412P=K-24P=K-402(?). Open AKG counterpart to PX100. Cheap/cheerful/loud. K-430 are closed, and more muffled. DT235 are closed too, never been through here though. Closed headphones will isolate better, won't soak as much noise from the outside. The downside is they're usually less crisp/aggressive. Often less precise, too. The one big exception is Denon headphones, which have a reflex design (they bounce the backwave back up front).

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #1,856 of 4,593
AKG K-412P=K-24P=K-402(?). Open AKG counterpart to PX100. Cheap/cheerful/loud. K-430 are closed, and more muffled. DT235 are closed too, never been through here though. Closed headphones will isolate better, won't soak as much noise from the outside. The downside is they're usually less crisp/aggressive. Often less precise, too. The one big exception is Denon headphones, which have a reflex design (they bounce the backwave back up front).

yes im looking for different kind of headphone from akg 412p
the sound
and also from open to closed

thanx

The K430 is a musical-sounding headphone that leans slightly towards smooth-and-fluid rather than tight and accurate. The DT235 is a little more dry and a lot less colored. I think they are both good all-rounders, just different. If portability is important, I'd get the K430. It's a lot less ugly and a lot more portable. Otherwise get the DT235. It's the better headphone technically and should be more comfortable as well. Never heard the K412 but both of these are fairly balanced. If the K412 is considered a bass-heavy headphone, these may be too bass-light for you.

Oh and thanks, glad the thread has been helpful 
beerchug.gif

No plans for any of these at this time

i think i will pick 430
since portability is an issue i considered
and musical sounding sounds more interesting for me :D

thanx :)

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #1,857 of 4,593
Denon DJ DN-HP500 or DN-HP700 are a good choice, they've a very lively sound (quicker than any AKG set), they're lightweight, they fold, and they're built tough. The sound is cleaner/more even than anything AKG-made, and the DN-HP500 cost roughly the same as K-430. They are slightly bassy, but don't dismiss them as "bass-heavy DJ headphones". They're not, the bass/low midrange are boosted, but politely so. They've a very clean sound with quick dynamics. And there's the coiled cable. ~1.2 m. expanding to ~3 m.

DN-HP500 are the closest there is to closed K-412P. They play almost like "closed open" headphones.

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #1,858 of 4,593
Denon DJ DN-HP500 or DN-HP700 are a good choice, they've a very lively sound (quicker than any AKG set), they're lightweight, they fold, and they're built tough. The sound is cleaner/more even than anything AKG-made, and the DN-HP500 cost roughly the same as K-430. They are slightly bassy, but don't dismiss them as "bass-heavy DJ headphones". They're not, the bass/low midrange are boosted, but politely so. They've a very clean sound with quick dynamics. And there's the coiled cable. ~1.2 m. expanding to ~3 m.

DN-HP500 are the closest there is to closed K-412P. They play almost like "closed open" headphones.

im not looking for headphone similar to my akg
i want to have something different because im bored with it :D
and from amazon.de those denon you mention is almost twice of the price of the beyer
out of my budget :frowning2:

thanx for your suggestion though :wink:

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #1,859 of 4,593
The K-412P are quick and have an open sound, the DN-HP500 are similar, though they're closed. And they're quicker. They're fairly even across the whole frequency response, no surprises. Denon's Denon (or Foster's Foster), they're the closest to "closed open" headphones there is. Out of all the headphones that're there, DN-HP series are just straight, they put out what's played, and their slight bass boost only makes them separate bass & drums better. The K-430 ought to be more muffled and dark. Though you being in Germany (or close) explains why the Beyer headphones are twice as cheap... The reason to buy the DN-HP is - Foster/Denon dynamics, they're very quick, fluid, lively. Very realistic. As a downside, they've a slight drop in the midrange around 220 Hz (3rd octave), so they can sound a bit dry, but you can just push that part up on the EQ. AKG headphones are a different kin, and yeah, why decide between both when you can have both? If you take a look at my sig you'll see both Denon & AKG :p

Mar 31, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #1,860 of 4,593
Quote:
The sound is cleaner/more even than anything AKG-made

Oh really? That's quite a statement.

Quote:
 Denon's Denon (or Foster's Foster), they're the closest to "closed open" headphones there is. 

Again, what other closed headphones have you heard? Sennheiser HD250 Linear? The big Audio-Technicas? Ultrasone? Fischer FA-003? Sony R10????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back