Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Mar 16, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #1,786 of 4,593
is there a portable headphone that has similar bass to px100 and is:
a) As portable as px100 or slightly larger / foladble
b) Is a closed design so that it doesn't leak out too much sound and isolates better?

A similar sound to px100 or px100-II is also fine. 

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #1,787 of 4,593
|joker| - nice read, thanks for putting the reviews together, your ears must be tired now.....

I have done some looking around and digging and have pulled the trigger on a set of MDR ZX700's so eagerly awaiting them to see just how well they cope with some bassy business and throughout the spectrum....  :)

Was looking at the ATH M50's but the price in UK and the potential dodgy ebay fakes made me reconsider and your review painted them is a good light - can't seem to find any other reviews about them online or in headfi though so expect my review once they arrive!

Thanks again.

hp

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #1,788 of 4,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartyparty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have done some looking around and digging and have pulled the trigger on a set of MDR ZX700's so eagerly awaiting them to see just how well they cope with some bassy business and throughout the spectrum....  :)

...expect my review once they arrive!

Looking forward to it!

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #1,789 of 4,593

Quote:
b) Is a closed design so that it doesn't leak out too much sound and isolates better?

The px200 is closed, and same design/size as the px100

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #1,790 of 4,593
Quote:

How much are you willing to spend? The Phiaton MS400 would obviously do it but that's quite pricy. On the lower end of things there's the K81Dj but it does suffer from the negative connotations of "closed, bass-heavy can" and isn't as refined as the PX100 on the whole. There's also the equation RP-15MC with similar caveats. Neither has a similar sound signature to the PX100 but bass levels should be comparable (though the closed cans will always seem bassier)

Quote:
|joker| - nice read, thanks for putting the reviews together, your ears must be tired now.....

Was looking at the ATH M50's but the price in UK and the potential dodgy ebay fakes made me reconsider and your review painted them is a good light - can't seem to find any other reviews about them online or in headfi though so expect my review once they arrive!

Awesome, hope you like them. It seems that the pricier Z1000s have gotten all the audiophile love so more impressions of the ZX700 will be extremely welcome!

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #1,791 of 4,593

Quote:

Joker mentioned the MS400, though the MS300 are also worth considering. Smaller size and more portable, bass is punchier compared to the rumbly 400.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #1,792 of 4,593

What about the sennheiser hd228 or hd 218? both of those are closed but i dont think that they are foldable.
Quote:

Mar 17, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #1,793 of 4,593
Hi all,

Thank you for all the great suggesstions.  Phitaons are a bit expensive for the purposes i wish to use them for.  

RP-15MC seems it could do the trick but why is it orange in colour :p

As i understand px200 lacks in the bass and i'll try out hd228 or hd218

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #1,795 of 4,593
I caved in a got some PortaPro's too - too much love out there for then not to be tried out and put through their paces!

Looking forward to getting some mod action done eventually too!!

Now, how many headphones/IEM's do I really need................

:)

hp

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #1,796 of 4,593
Mar 18, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #1,798 of 4,593
So i decided something had to be done with the V6 cord

the worst part was mount the jack, i had to remove a small part of plastic because the jack connector wont reach the outerside to screw on, i peeled a bit of the aluminium cup but thanks to sharpie its hard to nitice. Im quite happy with the results and its sure more portable now 
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #1,799 of 4,593

Quote:
Thank you for this thread. I just ordered a pair of hd25s and can not wait until ther are here. I found the adidas model cheaper than I can find the regular so I will have to deal with the blue but oh well.

Great thread.

congratulations, that was quite a deal! hope you enjoy your hd25 as much as me. which is a ton.

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #1,800 of 4,593
Quote:
So i decided something had to be done with the V6 cord

the worst part was mount the jack, i had to remove a small part of plastic because the jack connector wont reach the outerside to screw on, i peeled a bit of the aluminium cup but thanks to sharpie its hard to nitice. Im quite happy with the results and its sure more portable now 
biggrin.gif

Very cool. That definitely makes them one of the best portable cans in their price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back