Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Feb 25, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #1,696 of 4,593
I've been considering buying a Stretch, but some new versions popped up, and I have no idea how they differ. So any info on the SHL9560/10 and the SHH9560/10? Because the price difference is pretty huge.

Feb 25, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #1,697 of 4,593

Quote:
I've been considering buying a Stretch, but some new versions popped up, and I have no idea how they differ. So any info on the SHL9560/10 and the SHH9560/10? Because the price difference is pretty huge.

SHL is the bare headphone while SHH has an iPhone mic/remote.

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #1,699 of 4,593

Quote:
SHL is the bare headphone while SHH has an iPhone mic/remote.

Seems like it. I guess I will wait for the review. I know you're not a big fan of writing about phones you're about to sell. Couple of stores here have the SHL listed for ~$65, so it might be intresting.

BTW: I didn't see you mention anything about your K701. Are you planning on keeping them both (talking about the K601) or just the one you end up liking more?

To be more on topic: I'm quite suprised how high you rated the XB700. I never really considered them as an option to be hi-fi basshead phones, because of their marketing, but now it really seems Sony hit the nail square on the head with it. Looking forward to the XB1000 now. Kind of hoping that they will come with a 1.2m cord, so you can review them
biggrin.gif
 Sometimes I wonder what your surrounding thinks, when you show up with different sets of phones every other day. Especially when it ranges from the KSC75, to the P5.

On an other note: these contests seem to be pretty fun, so I really don't mind that you're not announcing the planned reviews like in the IEM thread. Actually it seems to be a better way to do just that.

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #1,700 of 4,593

Quote:
I'm quite suprised how high you rated the XB700.

I don't consider them rated 'high'.  His rating seems inline w/ how I hear them.  

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #1,701 of 4,593

Quote:
I don't consider them rated 'high'.  His rating seems inline w/ how I hear them.  

I didn't question that. I just never really bothered to read that much about them, because I assumed people saying that's good because of the ridiculous amount of bass, and it has equal amount of shortcomings by just that. But it does not seems to be the case.

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #1,702 of 4,593
Quote:
Seems like it. I guess I will wait for the review. I know you're not a big fan of writing about phones you're about to sell. Couple of stores here have the SHL listed for ~$65, so it might be intresting.

BTW: I didn't see you mention anything about your K701. Are you planning on keeping them both (talking about the K601) or just the one you end up liking more?

To be more on topic: I'm quite suprised how high you rated the XB700. I never really considered them as an option to be hi-fi basshead phones, because of their marketing, but now it really seems Sony hit the nail square on the head with it. Looking forward to the XB1000 now. Kind of hoping that they will come with a 1.2m cord, so you can review them
biggrin.gif
 Sometimes I wonder what your surrounding thinks, when you show up with different sets of phones every other day. Especially when it ranges from the KSC75, to the P5.

On an other note: these contests seem to be pretty fun, so I really don't mind that you're not announcing the planned reviews like in the IEM thread. Actually it seems to be a better way to do just that.

Well, if you factor in comfort and build quality, $65 is a good deal for The Stretch. I bought them a while ago when they were $99 and felt a bit underwhelmed. I've been hesitant to sell them, too, since the price has fallen quite badly. One of these days I'll get around to it.

I have not had a chance to compare the K701 to the K601 as my K601 is out on loan. I am quite happy with either individually (went through a dozen or so full-size cans before settling on the K601) but will end up keeping whichever I like best. My amp was tuned for the K601 but if the K701 sounds better out of my dac than the K601 does out of my amp, I'll be quite happy to sell the amp as well. My full-size setup doesn't get a whole lot of use to start with. 

The XB1000 is very interesting but it seems to be priced over $300 at this point which is more than 4x what I paid for the XB700 (and more than 6x what I paid for the XB500). Since price is a huge factor in favor of the XB700/XB500, I will probably wait a while before trying the XB1000. There are also two Sony reviews coming up which I think people will find interesting.

Oh and my coworkers are quite used to my headphones and earphones. I once bet that I could wear a new headphone to work every day for a month and never wear the same one twice... obviously people underestimate my obsession with audio gear. Since then, noone has asked except when I've worn Beats and B&Ws or my customs.

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #1,703 of 4,593

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh and my coworkers are quite used to my headphones and earphones. I once bet that I could wear a new headphone to work every day for a month and never wear the same one twice... obviously people underestimate my obsession with audio gear. Since then, noone has asked except when I've worn Beats and B&Ws or my customs.

Is it sad or is it cool that I could quite literally do this for a year?

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #1,704 of 4,593
I would love to own the P5, I thought it was really nice when I got to demo it briefly but cant really judge it, i recall it not being my cup of tea, but overall quality was pretty awesome.  Maybe I can get someone to loan me a set heh

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #1,706 of 4,593

Quote:
Is it sad or is it cool that I could quite literally do this for a year?

A little of both. I have a pretty high turnaround rate so if earphones were fair game I'm sure I could manage a year of weekdays.

Quote:
oooh, can you review the Ultrasone Hfi-580 and the Klipsch Image One next? im thinking about getting one of those or the ms 400

I actually bought a Klipsch Image One but it was lost in transit. Currently waiting to see if the seller will send me another or refund me off FedEx insurance before I buy anything else.

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #1,707 of 4,593
I wish I sent you my HFI580 when I had it....
frown.gif
  I think you might like the Senn HD598 based on your preferences though it's not exactly a portable but not massive either.

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #1,708 of 4,593
Feb 27, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #1,709 of 4,593
Hey Joker, when you give the headphones a rating in sound, are you basing them off from your IEM sound scale or do you have a pair of reference headphone?\

If this was asked and answered before, I apologize for asking. I haven't looked though any of the comments in this massive thread. 

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #1,710 of 4,593

Quote:
Hey Joker....have you heard Fischer Audio's on ear headphones?.......i can't find reviews for them anywhere......
link: http://www.fischeraudio.com/card.php?id=75
       http://www.fischeraudio.com/card.php?id=74

has anyone heard these?....and how is the company?

I have not heard any of Fischer's portable headphones. I believe the only two that have been reviewed extensively are the FA-004 and the Oldschool '70. Finding reviews of the other ones in English is fairly improbable as availability is quite low.

Quote:
Hey Joker, when you give the headphones a rating in sound, are you basing them off from your IEM sound scale or do you have a pair of reference headphone?

The scales for the two threads are not related by design. Both threads have several headphones that are used as benchmarks at different price and performance points. However, I would say they are comparable to within +/- 1 pt. My general reference for headphone sound is my AKG K601 and the 'benchmark' reference for this thread is the HD25-1, which I am quite familiar with in terms of both strengths and weaknesses (same goes for the ATH-CK10 in the IEM thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back