Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jan 31, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #1,351 of 4,593

Quote:
Hey ljokerl, there seems to be a pretty big support base for the Shure SRH 840s and the 750 DJs, and I was wondering how they stack up against the other cans here... They're pretty popular, so are there any plans to review them any time soon?

i have tried shure 750 , i  think it is full size headphones, not portable

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #1,352 of 4,593
Angelopsaro congrats on your Philips purchase, these headphones are great without question especially for the price. If you ever would like to move up in quality of sound go for Denon AH-D1001. I preferred the Philips SHP5001 as portable until I got the DENON. When I go out for a walk in a winter I use my Etymotic HF5 which I'm also quite happy with, the soundstage and the bass can't be compared to DENON but the overall sound quality they are very impressive, they also have an interesting feature of making bad/low quality recording sound decent.

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #1,353 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:
Hey ljokerl, there seems to be a pretty big support base for the Shure SRH 840s and the 750 DJs, and I was wondering how they stack up against the other cans here... They're pretty popular, so are there any plans to review them any time soon?

i have tried shure 750 , i  think it is full size headphones, not portable

But it's most definitely in the league with some of the other DJ cans in here, like the M50s (which I own) and the HD25IIs. Also, it folds, which makes it portable to a certain degree.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #1,354 of 4,593
From what I've read, the 750dj blows the Beats Studio out of the water with their bass-heavy sig while also maintaining good details in the mids and highs. SRH 840's have been described as rather dull-sounding/neutral. They're more for studio monitoring. 

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #1,356 of 4,593

Quote:
From what I've read, the 750dj blows the Beats Studio out of the water with their bass-heavy sig while also maintaining good details in the mids and highs. SRH 840's have been described as rather dull-sounding/neutral. They're more for studio monitoring. 

that doesnt say much about them.  
L3000.gif

but yes the SHR750dj is very interesting, so much that i put them in my list and scratch another popular one. I believe there is a "closed DJ cans" comparison in headfonia with the 750, 840, m50 and the beats. guess who won?

and as for portability, foldables dj cans are easy enough to carry i believe.

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #1,358 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:

that doesnt say much about them.  
L3000.gif

but yes the SHR750dj is very interesting, so much that i put them in my list and scratch another popular one. I believe there is a "closed DJ cans" comparison in headfonia with the 750, 840, m50 and the beats. guess who won?

and as for portability, foldables dj cans are easy enough to carry i believe.

The rest of that sentence was my "in a nutshell" way of telling the differences between them (bass heavy and lack of detail vs. bass-heavy and with very good attention to detail). lol Unless you mean there's just no point in comparing them to beats period. Which I guess can agree with.  

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #1,359 of 4,593

Quote:
Angelopsaro congrats on your Philips purchase, these headphones are great without question especially for the price. If you ever would like to move up in quality of sound go for Denon AH-D1001. I preferred the Philips SHP5001 as portable until I got the DENON. When I go out for a walk in a winter I use my Etymotic HF5 which I'm also quite happy with, the soundstage and the bass can't be compared to DENON but the overall sound quality they are very impressive, they also have an interesting feature of making bad/low quality recording sound decent.

Thx for the feedback. Actually Creative aurvana live! (which as a read are the same as the Denon D1001) are the one i want to buy but i wanted to spend some time with a budget portable so i make a more mature decision. So thats a good thing to hear from you.

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #1,360 of 4,593
Based on jokerl list if we look at sound quality only, HD25 and ATH-50 got mark 9. And then CAL, ESW9 and DENON HP700 are the only ones that got 8.5, so really D1001K/CAL is one of the 3 best sounding headphones according to jokerl. According to some people that compared sound quality of ATH-50 and D1001K, it is D1001K that had better sound. Even here on HeadFi people are divided 50/50 regarding which one is better http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/391641/denon-d1001-or-audio-technica-m50-for-portable-ipod
Another review here http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?topic=1412.0 speaks in favor of D1001K. And then finally here look how many people give them mark 10
http://www.testfreaks.com/headphones-headsets/denon-ah-d1001/user-reviews/
HD25 is weird looking thing to me with dark metallic sennheiser sound signature that I can't stand. But it is a matter of preference. So according to my very biased opinion D1001K is the number one portable. I never heard the ATH M50 but I will cause my DJ friend has it and I will post my own opinion on it.

So yes go for CAL!

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #1,361 of 4,593

Quote:
Based on jokerl list if we look at sound quality only, HD25 and ATH-50 got mark 9. And then CAL, ESW9 and DENON HP700 are the only ones that got 8.5, so really D1001K/CAL is one of the 3 best sounding headphones according to jokerl. According to other people that compared sound quality of ATH-50 and D1001K, it is D1001K that had better sound. HD25 is weird looking thing to me with dark metallic sennheiser sound signature that I can't stand. But it is a matter of preference. So according to my very biased opinion D1001K is the number one portable. I never heard the ATH M50 but I will cause my DJ friend has it and I will post my own opinion on it.

Well this got me into thinking. B) D1001K has similar sound signature with philips 5400? I can hear that my philips sounds better than my KSC75 but i like my koss signature better i think. Maybe its early to judge but i like the more aggressive upfront sound my Ksc has. Maybe my philips are too warm or maybe i need to give them more time.

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #1,363 of 4,593
Angelopsaro, I wouldn't say that SHP5401 has similar sound signature to D1001K, the whole reason why D1001K/CAL have such highly praised sound is because of Fostex bio cellulose driver used. The king of dynamic headphones Sony MDR-R10 (worth some 3-4K) also has bio cellulose driver. My understanding is that it was originally developed by Sony before Foster. The sound is very delicate, soft and no fatiguing at all, its bright but not too bright, it has just right amount of highs. You really need to listen to them to understand. They do sound much better than Philips. Philips without doubt also has some kind of paper drivers, this is why the bass is so good(actually paper does produce the best bass) and this is why they are so fast. But the driver they have also has the typical paper driver disadvantages which is some lack of realism in the sound if you know what I mean.
I have no issues with isolation, nobody in my office complains. If you want to walk on the street with them, then yes the isolation becomes a bit of an issue and you find yourself slightly increasing the volume. When I go outside I use my HF5 anyway because its a winter now and IEM is much more comfortable if you want to wear a hat.

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #1,364 of 4,593

Quote:
Angelopsaro, I wouldn't say that SHP5401 has similar sound signature to D1001K, the whole reason why D1001K/CAL have such highly praised sound is because of Fostex bio cellulose driver used. The king of dynamic headphones Sony MDR-R10 (worth some 3-4K) also has bio cellulose driver. My understanding is that it was originally developed by Sony before Foster. The sound is very delicate, soft and no fatiguing at all, its bright but not too bright, it has just right amount of highs. You really need to listen to them to understand. They do sound much better than Philips. Philips without doubt also has some kind of paper drivers, this is why the bass is so good(actually paper does produce the best bass) and this is why they are so fast. But the driver they have also has the typical paper driver disadvantages which is some lack of realism in the sound if you know what I mean.
I have no issues with isolation, nobody in my office complains. If you want to walk on the street with them, then yes the isolation becomes a bit of an issue and you find yourself slightly increasing the volume. When I go outside I use my HF5 anyway because its a winter now and IEM is much more comfortable if you want to wear a hat.

I got a lot of info from you post, so thank you. Amazon has the Cal! for a good price 80$ and its tempting. Still i need to spend some time with my philips and then go for the leap. When i decide to pull the trigger ill be around to mention if you were right or wrong (i am sure you are right so don't worry
cool.gif
)

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #1,365 of 4,593
Just enjoy the music, don't worry about headphones. I found that obsession about quality of sound has no limits, but after all they exist just to reproduce the music, it is the music itself that is important. I've spent some $3300 on my car sound and I absolutely love it, but because I disconnected crappy rear stock speakers all people sitting in the back can hear is the pounding bass coming from rear woofer, so I'm wondering I should drop another grand just make people rarely sitting in back happy, cause they are asking how come you spend so much money and we don't hear anything in the back. So I have to sit them at the front to actually prove it sounds great.
Anyway since all love music here I will post for the first time some of the songs I wrote lyrics for. These are demos to be recorded in studio soon, so don't judge hard

https://www.google.com/bookmarks/l#!threadID=GdDtFoJ1S7tE%2FBDQu5DAoQ0J6k9pwl

But any feedback appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back