Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Sep 23, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #707 of 4,593
Would be interested on your comments on Shure SRH-840, Was thinking of going for cans ranging from $100~250 too but hmm, shall see how adding an SRH840 to your collections will tip the scales (and my final decisions) =)

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #709 of 4,593
Any chance the Monster Solos and/or Solo HDs get added to this great comparison?

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #710 of 4,593
Quote:
Would be interested on your comments on Shure SRH-840, Was thinking of going for cans ranging from $100~250 too but hmm, shall see how adding an SRH840 to your collections will tip the scales (and my final decisions) =)

No plans for the SRH840 yet but I do have a couple of cans in its class on the way - ATH-M50, Denon DN-HP700, Ultrasone HFI-450 & Pro 650. Probably not much help but I'm a bit burned-out on closed semi-portable cans.

Quote:
Interesting, so you prefer the ksc75's over the G2A's?

If you mean the value rating, the fact that the KSC75 costs less than 1/3 of what the G2A costs certainly skews the scales...

Quote:
Any chance the Monster Solos and/or Solo HDs get added to this great comparison?

I've always wanted to but I'm not interested in paying Monster for the opportunity to own one of the Dre-branded headphones. I have no problem with Monster as brand (I like all of the Turbines and the Monster Miles Davis... I even bought the Lil' Jamz) but the original beats sounded awful and I'm now scared to pay money for anything with the doctor's name on it. I would love to borrow a set from a fellow head-fier but there's obvious logistical issues such as the fact that more people here own the $1000+ FAD universals than Monster/Dre headphones & earphones.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #712 of 4,593

Quote:
I have often wondered if the ksc75 uses the same driver as the porta pro. 

Not the same driver but very closely related. AFAIK it's a Titanium-coated version of the PortaPro driver (which is also used in the KSC35). The Titanium-coated version is used in the KSC75 as well as (with different tuning) the UR40 and KTXPro1.

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #713 of 4,593

Quote:
ljokerl said :

I've always wanted to but I'm not interested in paying Monster for the opportunity to own one of the Dre-branded headphones. I have no problem with Monster as brand (I like all of the Turbines and the Monster Miles Davis... I even bought the Lil' Jamz) but the original beats sounded awful and I'm now scared to pay money for anything with the doctor's name on it. I would love to borrow a set from a fellow head-fier but there's obvious logistical issues such as the fact that more people here own the $1000+ FAD universals than Monster/Dre headphones & earphones.

Oh ya, Was thinking whether MTPG or MTPC or Miles Davis! Since in my side MTPC and MD is only like SGD$30 Difference which is actually not that big for me, Which gets me thinking which to pick!
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #714 of 4,593

Which headphone do you believe is the most suitable only for piano recordings and listening through an electric piano?

Budget is 60$-80$.

Sorry if the question is not relevant with the thread….

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #715 of 4,593
Don't spend much... my experience with a few electric pianos is that they have utter trash for headphone outputs (lousy power, even lousier sound quality). Just get something comfortable with a suitable length cord; don't spend more than $20 unless you intend to use it for other things.

Sep 24, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #717 of 4,593
Holy COW! That is one of the best comprehensive overviews, I have seen on any audio products (online or in magazines). Well laid out, consistent, engagingly written, not too much, not too little, just right...
Thank you!

Just an FYI: I have the 25-1 II's and love them although they are a very tight fit, oddly it is not really uncomfortable.

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #718 of 4,593
Quote:
Oh ya, Was thinking whether MTPG or MTPC or Miles Davis! Since in my side MTPC and MD is only like SGD$30 Difference which is actually not that big for me, Which gets me thinking which to pick! 
confused_face_2.gif

I suppose that depends on what you're after. I would definitely pay $30 more for the MD, especially if its not a big deal (and if you don't mind the design). The MD and Golds are very honest about being quintessential dynamics - warm, bassy, extremely smooth. The Coppers try do be something they're not and that bothers me on a subconscious level at all times. In terms of overall SQ for me its MD >= MTPC > MTPG. However, in terms of personal preference, it's MD > MTPG > MTPC. The MD is one of the smoothest IEMs I've heard and has an incredible dynamic range. It's not 'audiophile' per se but it does a lot of things very right. Just my $0.02

Quote:

Which headphone do you believe is the most suitable only for piano recordings and listening through an electric piano?

Budget is 60$-80$.

Sorry if the question is not relevant with the thread….

Armaegis is probably right but if I had to recommend a can for Piano recordings in that price range it would be the Numark PHX Pro (review coming soon). It's got a nice and forward midrange with very good clarity and JR is clearing them out at an insane $60.

Quote:
Holy COW! That is one of the best comprehensive overviews, I have seen on any audio products (online or in magazines). Well laid out, consistent, engagingly written, not too much, not too little, just right...
Thank you!

Just an FYI: I have the 25-1 II's and love them although they are a very tight fit, oddly it is not really uncomfortable.

Thanks, appreciate it 
beerchug.gif

Oh and your thoughts on the fit of the HD25 mirror mine. I've had them for about a year now and have worn them for some really long stretches with only minor discomfort. Amazing for something that clamps so hard.

Sep 25, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #719 of 4,593
My DhpII's sounded pretty good out of the box, deep punchy bass. After 24 hours it almost sounds like one of the drivers are out of phase. Actually, I just changed the balance between sides when playing a bass track. "Pure Silicon" from USAC Bass: SPL shootout album
smily_headphones1.gif
. This verified there is basically no bass coming from the left driver. The right side sounds normal, and the left side doesn't sound blown. Just throwing it out there for consideration. Quality control might not be that great on these things.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #720 of 4,593
Quote:
My DhpII's sounded pretty good out of the box, deep punchy bass. After 24 hours it almost sounds like one of the drivers are out of phase. Actually, I just changed the balance between sides when playing a bass track. "Pure Silicon" from USAC Bass: SPL shootout album
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />. This verified there is basically no bass coming from the left driver. The right side sounds normal, and the left side doesn't sound blown. Just throwing it out there for consideration. Quality control might not be that great on these things.

Ouch. I'm guessing this would be one of those times when you'd exercise the warranty or just get a replacement from the seller. 

Perhaps the fact that mine are still working perfectly after 2.5 months is more the exception than the rule. Lucky lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back