Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Sep 17, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #691 of 4,593
I wouldn't call something like that a review. It just reads like an ad because it is one. Keeping the price in mind some things they mention actually make sense.
But anyway, no one would buy it if they wrote about channel imbalance or frequency peaks, but such negative points are a must in a review, imo.

I've become careful when reading "reviews", buyers impressions or hype threads. The amount of crap out there is incredible. 

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #692 of 4,593
The trouble with most Maxell headphones was, they didn't live long.

The speakers, tapes, cleaning kits, etc., were all fine. It's headphones specifically that weren't worth buying 'cause they'd fall apart, sometimes the same day.

If that's fixed with DHP-II, and they're disassemblable, well, cheers.

BTW, something many people don't know... It's not just Maxell, it's Hitachi Maxell. Maxell is a brand name of Hitachi.

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #693 of 4,593
I think the Koss UR-55 deserves a spot on this list. They're fairly new and most of the Best Buy's I have been in replaced the Porta Pro's with these. I'm a huge fan of them and I prefer them over my Porta Pros.
For awhile they were a Best Buy exclusive but now JR.com also sells them. I hope that they'll be more popular soon. Like the Maxell's, they deserve more attention.

There's a few people on here that liked them. To me, if I had to use something under $65 it'd be the Creative Aurvana Live or these. They also seem to be built a bit better too.

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #695 of 4,593
Quote:
I wouldn't call something like that a review. It just reads like an ad because it is one. Keeping the price in mind some things they mention actually make sense.
But anyway, no one would buy it if they wrote about channel imbalance or frequency peaks, but such negative points are a must in a review, imo.

Yeah, that's pretty obvious from Headroom's blatant pushing of the Skullcandy Titans. Better then earphones 3 times the price? Yeah, right.

Quote:
The trouble with most Maxell headphones was, they didn't live long.

The speakers, tapes, cleaning kits, etc., were all fine. It's headphones specifically that weren't worth buying 'cause they'd fall apart, sometimes the same day.

If that's fixed with DHP-II, and they're disassemblable, well, cheers.

BTW, something many people don't know... It's not just Maxell, it's Hitachi Maxell. Maxell is a brand name of Hitachi.

I can definitely see the DHP-II falling apart from mistreatment so I try not to be as rough on them as I am on my HD25-1 or Denon DN-HP700, which are my main portable cans now. So far (a bit over a month) they're holding up fine with almost daily use. 

Quote:
I think the Koss UR-55 deserves a spot on this list. They're fairly new and most of the Best Buy's I have been in replaced the Porta Pro's with these. I'm a huge fan of them and I prefer them over my Porta Pros.
For awhile they were a Best Buy exclusive but now JR.com also sells them. I hope that they'll be more popular soon. Like the Maxell's, they deserve more attention.

There's a few people on here that liked them. To me, if I had to use something under $65 it'd be the Creative Aurvana Live or these. They also seem to be built a bit better too.

Too bad you can't get the CAL! for $65 anymore. I'm definitely interested in the UR55 but I don't visit Best Buy very often... or ever. They've been on my 'to try' list along with the DJ100s for a while but I've got a half-dozen cans waiting for review.

Quote:
Ordered the MS 400's from amazon today.  Should receive them tomorrow.  I cannot wait!

Hope you like 'em 
smile_phones.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #696 of 4,593

True it's not a full blown review.  But their ratings are based on price point.  They gave the UR20 a 4.5 star rating.  That's a pretty high rating even at 20 dollars.  That's what really got me intrigued.  There really isn't a lot in the write up section about the sound. 

I got them yesterday and the sound is ok.  It's actually good for 20 dollars.  Far better than Sony's in this price range IMO.  After some initial listening, I can say for sure that the sound of these cans is hindered by the very cheap plastic housing.  They actually sound a bit on the plastic hollow side. 

They are also the biggest cans I think I have ever seen.  Think the AH D2000 on steroids.

Quote:

I've become careful when reading "reviews", buyers impressions or hype threads. The amount of crap out there is incredible. 

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #698 of 4,593
Quote:
I got them yesterday and the sound is ok.  It's actually good for 20 dollars.  Far better than Sony's in this price range IMO.  After some initial listening, I can say for sure that the sound of these cans is hindered by the very cheap plastic housing.  They actually sound a bit on the plastic hollow side. 

That's the 400 - 600 Hz peak in the FR, try to equalize that range down quite a bit and it'll sound less hollow.

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #699 of 4,593
Quote:
Just curious but do you ever see the M50 making an appearance on your reviews?

Yeah the review is nearly done but I've been putting off finalizing/posting it for weeks now. Too busy with the IEM thread.

Sep 18, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #701 of 4,593
Sep 18, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #702 of 4,593

Thanks.  I will definitely give that a try.  They do sound pretty good watching TV.  Voices sound pretty natural.  Not bad at all. 

I received a call from NASA and they asked me to put the UR20 away for the day because the Space Station was receiving interferance!!  LOL.  Did I happen to mention how big these cans are?????
Quote:
That's the 400 - 600 Hz peak in the FR, try to equalize that range down quite a bit and it'll sound less hollow.

Sep 19, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #703 of 4,593
Quote:
Thanks.  I will definitely give that a try.  They do sound pretty good watching TV.  Voices sound pretty natural.  Not bad at all. 

I received a call from NASA and they asked me to put the UR20 away for the day because the Space Station was receiving interferance!!  LOL.  Did I happen to mention how big these cans are?????

Voices should sound pretty "full" right? Songs on the other hand could sound a bit muddy.

Hahaha, I couldn't find any pics of someone actually wearing them. Didn't headroom use to make pics of the cans with the artificial head? :/

Sep 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #705 of 4,593

Quote:
Joker, you are a master. Words, research, attention to detail, and attracting a crowd - you've covered all the bases. 

Thanks, shigzeo, and good to see you around here 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back