Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Dec 27, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #121 of 4,593
I've actually taken shots (on ebay) at both the Rolands and the Yamahas. I guess I wasn't interested enough to actually bid competitively - the RH10MS has always interested me more but I've been unable to get one of those as well.

As for the mini Denons, I may get a chance to borrow those from a friend at a later date. Certainly have looked at them before but they are mentioned around these parts very rarely.

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #122 of 4,593
Lower-end Yamaha models are made of cheap plastic and have a reputation for breaking.

RH-50 and up are pretty decent kit. They're a bit slow next to the newer headphones, but they compensate by midrange detail and airiness.

AH-P372 outperform the K-81, except maybe for those seeking a boombox on ears.

Jan 1, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #123 of 4,593
One of the best reviews I've read, though I'm looking forward to if you ever get around to circumaurals < $70 as well. Most people get cans in this pricerange once or twice - they move on to a higher price tier once they get a taste. I hear "Competes unbelievably well for a $40 headphone - only one I would consider buying" applied to everything at this pricepoint, without too much real comparison.

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #124 of 4,593
any chance of reviewing sennheiser HD228 yet
biggrin.gif

liked the reviews but i cant find the akg k81/518 anywhere in canada for a decent price sadly (and futureshop has a sale for HD228s for 70)

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #127 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squalish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the best reviews I've read, though I'm looking forward to if you ever get around to circumaurals < $70 as well. Most people get cans in this pricerange once or twice - they move on to a higher price tier once they get a taste. I hear "Competes unbelievably well for a $40 headphone - only one I would consider buying" applied to everything at this pricepoint, without too much real comparison.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
. I think the HA-M750 qualify as circumaurals. The only other sub-$70 circumaurals I've got are the JVC HA-S700 and Equation EP-3070, reviews of which are coming soon
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by slntdth93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any chance of reviewing sennheiser HD228 yet
biggrin.gif

More interested in the HD238 but amazon cancelled my order without explanation and then I got some other stuff, so I'm holding off on that for a little while. Hopefully will get my hands on the PX200-II fairly soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man, I'm so conflicted about the zebra pads.

They're so hideous, but I want a pair.

I wish you could buy the earpollution pads separately. I'm rather intrigued by the optional mesh pads as well - they have the potential to be quite comfy without heating up one's ears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joker how come you didn't include the HD25-1? Just curious.

Still working on that. Much easier to pin down the sound of lower-end headphones than the intricacies of higher-up gear.

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #128 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
. Still working on that. Much easier to pin down the sound of lower-end headphones than the intricacies of higher-up gear.

Ah ok
popcorn.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #129 of 4,593
Any chance to get a comparison to a MDR-V6? Mainly because I have that as my only full size (together with a bunch of IEMs) and wonder how they compare (it seems a bit silly to start to compare them to RE0)
wink.gif

@kshelton: where did you get the E7? Me wanna.
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #131 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
. I think the HA-M750 qualify as circumaurals. The only other sub-$70 circumaurals I've got are the JVC HA-S700 and Equation EP-3070, reviews of which are coming soon
wink.gif

If you're open to that market segment, here's what I'm trying to hash out right now, a selection between:
JVC HA-RX700
JVC HA-M750
Sennheiser HD485
Audio Technica ATH-SJ5
Audio Technica ATH-M30
Beyerdynamic DT235
DBI Pro 700

All K81DJ competitors in one way or another. I have rationale for rejecting some other cans at this pricepoint here.

Jan 4, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #132 of 4,593
To be honest in terms of sound the RX700 is still a full head above any portable phone I've tried for the money. If modded it can easily beat the more expensive HA-M750 and even the CAL! and K81Dj. I liked them so much I bought a second set after selling my first one and missing it. That said, I've probably got a DBI700 coming in soon
tongue.gif
. I don't consider either the DBI700 or the RX700 portable though.

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #133 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by buz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any chance to get a comparison to a MDR-V6? Mainly because I have that as my only full size (together with a bunch of IEMs) and wonder how they compare (it seems a bit silly to start to compare them to RE0)
wink.gif

@kshelton: where did you get the E7? Me wanna.
biggrin.gif

I had the E7 in red because I am waiting for it
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #134 of 4,593
Well let's see if the E7 or the Icon Mobile turn out to be better, which ever gets the better reviews in a head to head comparison I will buy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back