Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Mar 1, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #4,231 of 4,593
  Not to butt in but since i own the hd419, rp-ht711 (what a coincidence haha) and hd668b:

if you find the hd419 to be too sibilant than the hd668b will drive you insane...the treble on hd419 is very recessed in comparison (just look up the frequency response graphs to see for yourself). I don't use it for the same genres of music but the brightness of the 668b can really make me feel physically uncomfortable if i turn it up too high. 

ljokerl recommended me the panasonic htf600 and i enjoy it a good bit. It sounds like a slightly warmer version of the rp-ht711. Build quality may be an issue, i've heard some reports of them not holding up well (although i've been fine with mine so far)

threi,

A coincidence indeed
eek.gif

Oh, pity to hear bad news about 668B. I was hoping I would take them.

But thank you very much for that information!
HD419 do make me feel physicaly uncofortable when listening to the parts of music containing trumpets or female voices (as far as I remember).
I am afraid to imagine what 668B would do to my ears..

Hm, I have looked at the FRs of the 668B and 419 and I don't understand why 419 were driving me crazy. I need to test them.
"Slightly warmer version of RP-HT711" - now that does sound interesting! What kind of music do you usually listen to?
If you listen to classical as well - how good do they perform with it?

[b]ljokerl[/b],

Could you please tell me if Panasonic RP-HTF600-S is a decent choice for classics?

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #4,232 of 4,593
No i dont listen to mucn classical, more hip-hop/instrumental a-la nujabes.

Even with that being said i dont regret my hd668b purchase, although it can get really harsh the clarity is amazing, and when i eq down the highs its probably my favorite sounding headphone to date.

Strange thing about your experience with the hd419, its the warmest headphone i own. You could probably try modding it (opening it up and taking the tape off the three holes/stuffing the inside with cotton padding). It makes the headphone a bit more bassy but it may remove some of the sibilance.

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #4,233 of 4,593

The warmness of the HTF600 flattens out into neutrality when you use velour earpads.  I am using the ones from my NXG HeadTrip NX-HTDJ...it was quite a squeeze to get them on though.  I also discovered that the NX-HTDJ sounds infinitely better with the HTF600's pleather pads...the NXG just doesn't have enough bass in the first place to use velour (makes them extremely bright).

Were you able to get a non-defective pair of the nxg or gave up and scavenged them for parts? Earlier you had said about getting 2 defective pairs.

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #4,234 of 4,593

The warmness of the HTF600 flattens out into neutrality when you use velour earpads.  I am using the ones from my NXG HeadTrip NX-HTDJ...it was quite a squeeze to get them on though.  I also discovered that the NX-HTDJ sounds infinitely better with the HTF600's pleather pads...the NXG just doesn't have enough bass in the first place to use velour (makes them extremely bright).

Were you able to get a non-defective pair of the nxg or gave up and scavenged them for parts? Earlier you had said about getting 2 defective pairs.

The first pair was defective, but the second pair was indeed operating as intended.  Their treble is very overpowering with velour pads (more than any other set of cans I own [ I don't have the Superlux set mentioned above]) since the velour reduces bass / midbass quantity.  With the HTF600's pleather pads, an actual seal is formed, and the bass / midbass is brought up to match the rest of the spectrum.  They were still quite bright, so I EQ'd their treble and upper midrange down a bit.

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #4,235 of 4,593
No i dont listen to mucn classical, more hip-hop/instrumental a-la nujabes.

Even with that being said i dont regret my hd668b purchase, although it can get really harsh the clarity is amazing, and when i eq down the highs its probably my favorite sounding headphone to date.

Strange thing about your experience with the hd419, its the warmest headphone i own. You could probably try modding it (opening it up and taking the tape off the three holes/stuffing the inside with cotton padding). It makes the headphone a bit more bassy but it may remove some of the sibilance.

threi,

I will listen to HD419 the following week and try to understand what bothered me.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to apply EQ as I am going to listen to CDP-based system. I can try to create a filter as adviced on the 668B forums, but I am not sure it will give significant improvement (to my ears) and be worth time spent.

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #4,236 of 4,593
  Could you please tell me if Panasonic RP-HTF600-S is a decent choice for classics?

It's got more bass than the HD668B and HD428 (and of course Q68). Didn't seem like that's what you were after but it's safer than the HD668B from a harshness standpoint. It's also got a pretty open sound despite being only vented/semi-open. 

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #4,237 of 4,593

It's got more bass than the HD668B and HD428 (and of course Q68). Didn't seem like that's what you were after but it's safer than the HD668B from a harshness standpoint. It's also got a pretty open sound despite being only vented/semi-open. 

[b]ljokerl[/b],

Thank you. As I understand RP-HTF600-S is not a very good option as well
biggrin.gif

The more choices you have, the more difficult it is to make a decision.
Especially when all the choices are far away from being perfect.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #4,238 of 4,593
ljokerl, might you try the Momentum On-ear later?  I think you'll love it.  Definitely up there among HD25, M80, and T50p/DT1350 in terms of sound.  It is very comfortable, too.
It does not, however, isolate.  At all.

The pile grows:

(and what looks like an SR60 actually has SR225 drivers)

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #4,239 of 4,593
What an incredible thread and website! I spent most of the afternoon reading through it. I am looking for some in the $250 for traveling. I listen to a pretty diverse collection of music but no metal or classical. Would the Custom Art Music One be you recommendation at that price point or below?

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #4,240 of 4,593
  ljokerl, might you try the Momentum On-ear later?  I think you'll love it.  Definitely up there among HD25, M80, and T50p/DT1350 in terms of sound.  It is very comfortable, too.
It does not, however, isolate.  At all.

The pile grows:

(and what looks like an SR60 actually has SR225 drivers)

Nice collection!

I tried the Momentum on-ear back to back with the full-size momentum and actually preferred the full-size one (sorry). 

It's a beautiful design as far as on-ear portables go, though. I'd do bad things for a blue one. 

What an incredible thread and website! I spent most of the afternoon reading through it. I am looking for some in the $250 for traveling. I listen to a pretty diverse collection of music but no metal or classical. Would the Custom Art Music One be you recommendation at that price point or below?

Sure, the Music One is a great value at $250. The only time I wouldn't recommend it is if you prefer enhanced bass or otherwise non-balanced sound.

Also, keep in mind that with impressions and shipping it might run you closer to $300. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #4,241 of 4,593
Nice collection!

I tried the Momentum on-ear back to back with the full-size momentum and actually preferred the full-size one (sorry). 

It's a beautiful design as far as on-ear portables go, though. I'd do bad things for a blue one. 

Sure, the Music One is a great value at $250. The only time I wouldn't recommend it is if you prefer enhanced bass or otherwise non-balanced sound.

Also, keep in mind that with impressions and shipping it might run you closer to $300. 

Thanks! I really appreciate it. Any plans to review the Music Two?

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #4,242 of 4,593
... I tried the Momentum on-ear back to back with the full-size momentum and actually preferred the full-size one (sorry). 

I just keep reading conflicting opinions on that over-ear Momentum.  There's only one way to settle the matter. 
popcorn.gif

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #4,243 of 4,593
Thanks! I really appreciate it. Any plans to review the Music Two?

No plans yet

I just keep reading conflicting opinions on that over-ear Momentum.  There's only one way to settle the matter. 
popcorn.gif

Clearly it's to convince Sennheiser to send me one of each 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back