Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Mar 21, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #4,261 of 4,593
  Thanks Joker, once again a really helpful review/comparison. 
I would love you to try the Superlux HD-681 EVO, they are really cheap and I have heard some great things about it.
I know it's just huge, but it has some handy features like a 'detachable' cable.

I had the 681 EVO for a short time but returned it. They sounded very good, but with even the slightest head movement, I heard squeaking/creaking.

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #4,263 of 4,593
Mar 24, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #4,265 of 4,593
Yeah apparently they are very neutral sounding for the money. Not that I haven't heard that before but they do have a nice frequency response graph. Might be worth looking into.

They are ok, but I preferred the JVC HA-S500 and Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80 clone) to the TH-MX2

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #4,266 of 4,593
I absolutely love these reviews. Some headphones I'd be interested in you taking a look at, Joker:

1. Bose AE2
  2. Harman Kardon CL
  3. MartinLogan Mikros 90
  4. Philips Fidelio M1
  5. Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear
  6. KEF M500

If you have the chance to get your hands on some of those headphones, please let us know what you think.

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #4,267 of 4,593
  I absolutely love these reviews. Some headphones I'd be interested in you taking a look at, Joker:

1. Bose AE2
  2. Harman Kardon CL
  3. MartinLogan Mikros 90
  4. Philips Fidelio M1
  6. KEF M500

If you have the chance to get your hands on some of those headphones, please let us know what you think.

Out of those I've briefly tried the HK (wasn't impressed) and the Momentum (liked, but wasn't blown away with). Maybe I'll get to try the rest some day. 

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #4,269 of 4,593

1. Bose AE2
  2. Harman Kardon CL
  3. MartinLogan Mikros 90
  4. Philips Fidelio M1
  6. KEF M500

Bose? LOL

I do respect the first Around-Ear (TP-1?).  That one actually does have good sound and the build quality doesn't seem too bad.  I picked one up for kicks with busted wiring off of fleabay some time back.  It seems to be designed for folks with small ears, and mine just barely fit.

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #4,270 of 4,593
  Were they terrible for the current $89?

Probably not terrible, but I didn't think they were as good as the HD448 that was on the next demo stand over, and you can get those for $70-something. I also thought the UE6000 was better. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #4,271 of 4,593

1. Bose AE2
  2. Harman Kardon CL
  3. MartinLogan Mikros 90
  4. Philips Fidelio M1
  6. KEF M500

hey hey pssst
v-moda xs

i have the mikros 90s, and for the $55 they're selling at now they sound okay. It is not a bassy headphone, althought I haven't finished my burn-in... One thing for sure though, unlike what someone said on the thread, the Mikros 90's are most certaintly not worth their $300 MSRP. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #4,272 of 4,593
hey hey pssst
v-moda xs

i have the mikros 90s, and for the $55 they're selling at now they sound okay. It is not a bassy headphone, althought I haven't finished my burn-in... One thing for sure though, unlike what someone said on the thread, the Mikros 90's are most certaintly not worth their $300 MSRP. 

Yeah Newegg has it on sale......for $60.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=mikros+90&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #4,273 of 4,593
  hey hey pssst
v-moda xs

Any credible judgment should be suspended until about 200+ hours with the MLs.  That has been reiterated ad nauseum.
Readers here should go to the Mikros 90 thread and read impressions there, rather than subscribe to heresay, thirdhand, from the likes of poopsockky.
If you are forming your personal "judgments" from innuendo, rumor and heresay . . . well, your "judgments" will be invalid.

Funny thing: this is what poop posted on the ML thread:
"I haven't burned them in yet, so i won't write anything about the sound... but its not like im really qualified to write about..."

So, the poop is not qualified to post his impressions, sans burn-in, on the Mikros 90 thread, but he is somehow qualified to post his "unqualified" and highly generalized impressions on the "shootout" thread.  Hmmmm.  

I have mentioned it before and I will repeat it again: this thread should include the Martin Logan Mikros 90 as a valid entrant/contender.

IMHO, the Mikros 90 ARE worth their $300 MSRP.

Unlike the popular Head-Fi darling KEF M500 which, IMHO, ARE NOT worth their $300 MSRP [nor their current street price].
The Mikros 90, IMHE, are among the best headphones--portable or otherwise--that I have heard/owned to date.

See the equipment lists in my community profile and decide for yourselves whether I am "qualified" to assert such claims about the Mikros 90.  Or, better yet, get a pair of the MLs and decide for yourselves.  

But please, do not form an erroneous opinion based on a thirdhand account from someone who has not even spent a modicum of hours with the Mikros 90 [and has not identified the gear/sources matched with the MLs.].

However, if that is the formative "norm" of opinion on this thread, or others on H-F, then these forums have a lot of "growing up" to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back