Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jan 13, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #1,276 of 4,593

Quote:
Sony V6 needs to be on this list :D

I'd love to see how it compares to the rest of these headphones.

I don't think it fits the criteria

Quote:
[...] in order to be included in the thread a headphone has to be at least one of these three things:

1. Supraaural
2. Flat-folding and/or collapsible
3. Outfitted with a portable-length (<5ft) cable 

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #1,278 of 4,593
Are they? I've only tried them at guitar center but I walked away with the V900HD that day (wasn't for me though
redface.gif
).

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #1,279 of 4,593
It's roughly the same as the M50 (maybe a tad smaller) when folded up.

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #1,280 of 4,593

Quote:
Open vs Closed depends entirely upon the listening environment and personal preference, although I'm not sure why you brought that up in this thread.

... ..

Quote:
Quote:
I just think that open back Hi-fi isn't very Hi-fi when all you can hear are the sounds of the bus around you. I know that if you want to be serious about portable headphones you should use IEM cause full sized and Supraaural Just cannot compete in efficiency, portability, or passive( and sometimes active) isolation.

Just made me think of it, that's why.

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #1,281 of 4,593
[size=10pt]OK ljokerl, you said you wanted some competition for the Coby CV-185's? Well, I've been hunting for just that for over a month now. It's not as easy as it sounds - finding phones that are at least as good or hopefully better in the same price range. So, I bought over a dozen phones ranging in price from $10-$20. All of them fell short of the 185's but one - the very one in my avatar. And what do you know they're Coby's. Coby CV-200's to be exact. They cost $10-$15 and come with some of the crappiest earbuds I've ever heard. But that's not what you buy them for anyways... at least I hope not.[/size]

[size=10pt]Anyways, and I swear this is the truth, these CV-200's are not only better than the 185's but better than my newly acquired $40 Pioneer portables.[/size]

[size=10pt]There can be only one and I tell you this is it![/size]

[size=10pt]BTW Not reviewing the Prodipe Pro800's would be like a crime against humanity. They are ridiculously, stupidly good and unlike the Creative's just keep sounding better and better.[/size]

[size=10pt]That is all.[/size]

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #1,282 of 4,593
Interesting you guys mentioned the V6, i was thinking of getting one, for my father.
he tried my denon p372 that i was carrying with me one day, and he said "OK but, do you have some sony?" 
L3000.gif

then the grados sr80, he liked what he heard, but said they were really ugly and hard to carry them.  and i though is a pretty good excuse to get the v6 since i wanted to try them anyway.

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #1,283 of 4,593
How come? They're small for a full-size headphone (almost supra-aural in fact), lightweight, pretty sturdy and foldable. The cable is coiled too which makes carrying them around a lot easier since it means the cable length is managable. I honestly wouldn't consider them 'true' portables, but If the Audio Technica M50 has a place on this list then I see no reason why the Sony V6 can't.

Quote:
ljokerl said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
EternalEmpire said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sony V6 needs to be on this list :D

I'd love to see how it compares to the rest of these headphones.

I don't think it fits the criteria

Sorry, I never saw that post >.<

Quote:
Quote:
Open vs Closed depends entirely upon the listening environment and personal preference, although I'm not sure why you brought that up in this thread.

... ..

Quote:
Quote:
I just think that open back Hi-fi isn't very Hi-fi when all you can hear are the sounds of the bus around you. I know that if you want to be serious about portable headphones you should use IEM cause full sized and Supraaural Just cannot compete in efficiency, portability, or passive( and sometimes active) isolation.

Just made me think of it, that's why.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #1,286 of 4,593
Hi All,

I'm a person who has been subsisting on $10 earphones for a while, and am finally looking for a considerable upgrade to full headphone.  As I am new to these kind of matters, I would greatly appreciate any help or advice.  Below are my criteria for getting one:

budget: ~$70-80, no more than $85
Weight: no more than 1 pound/16 oz
Supra-aural/Circum-aural: definitely circumaural
Closed/Open: fine with both
Listening environment: mostly at home, sometimes moderately busy offices
Audio source: My HP dv7t laptop, with IDT HD audio codec.  Music usually at 200-320 kbps.
Audio equipment: Just my laptop. No amps
Music genres: fairly broad, but tilts heavily towards electronica and indie rock/pop.  some hip-hop, rap, and rnb in between.  a touch of jazz and new age

Any particular choices I should be aware of?

Much thanks!

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #1,287 of 4,593
Hmm... thanks for the detailed criteria. Too bad the Creative Aurvana Live! has gone up in price again.

If it's got to be fully circumaural I would recommend the Maxell DHP-II. You have to baby them a bit but for comfort and sound at a reasonable price they're difficult to beat.

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #1,288 of 4,593

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm a person who has been subsisting on $10 earphones for a while, and am finally looking for a considerable upgrade to full headphone.  As I am new to these kind of matters, I would greatly appreciate any help or advice.  Below are my criteria for getting one:

Audio source: My HP dv7t laptop, with IDT HD audio codec.  Music usually at 200-320 kbps.
Music genres: fairly broad, but tilts heavily towards electronica and indie rock/pop.  some hip-hop, rap, and rnb in between.  a touch of jazz and new age

Much thanks!

Not really a portable but you might find the AKG k240 studio in the FS forums here for less than 80, i have seen them. and i like mines as much that i even dare to recommend it.
I have also seem some ATH M50 for lower then 90$ in the FS forums, but you might have to be patient for this one.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #1,290 of 4,593

Quote:
Hi All,

Much thanks!

Cortex CHP-2500

You can thank me later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back