Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jan 10, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #1,261 of 4,593
ljokerl, Since had permanently lost my Senn HD555, i had to switch to my good old semi-broken Sony XB500 can. Semi-broken because both driver holders (the circles that clamp to the drivers) on the headband broke, so i had to hot glue my right cup, and use superglue on the left one, but it constantly breaks and i have to re-glue the left cup every other day. I'd rate the build quality of the headphones 3/10.. 
One question bothers me though, will the M50s have decent bass if i plug it into my iPod nano 5G without an amp? When i plug the XB500 the volume/low frequencies are quite nice, but will it be the same or better for M50s?

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #1,262 of 4,593
I really like to see your face when you try the Sennheiser RS180 for the first time.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Wireless... Bah humbug!

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #1,263 of 4,593
Quote:
I lurk around here from time to time. Lately I've been wanting some closed portables and had the chance to search around and came across this thread. A huge thanks to Joker for helping yet another newbie. Every forum should have threads like this for people like me.
smile.gif

[...]

Thanks again joker (insert thumbs up smiley here).

Ah, great - glad the thread was helpful. 

Quote:
I really enjoyed the overview on Kleer technology.  I've always wonder how its SQ compares with wired or standard bluetooth.

Thanks - I actually had to spend some time/thought compressing the entire 'what makes Kleer special' shtick into just a few sentences but I'm glad it's still coherent. 

Quote:
ljokerl, Since had permanently lost my Senn HD555, i had to switch to my good old semi-broken Sony XB500 can. Semi-broken because both driver holders (the circles that clamp to the drivers) on the headband broke, so i had to hot glue my right cup, and use superglue on the left one, but it constantly breaks and i have to re-glue the left cup every other day. I'd rate the build quality of the headphones 3/10.. 
One question bothers me though, will the M50s have decent bass if i plug it into my iPod nano 5G without an amp? When i plug the XB500 the volume/low frequencies are quite nice, but will it be the same or better for M50s?

The M50 will not have the sheer bass body of the XB500 but it will sound cleaner and punchier even straight out of an iPod.

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #1,264 of 4,593
Heys Joker! Just curious to ask, still remember when i was thinking about getting my first can, You said you were kinda interested to tryout FA-002 and 003. (which i end up taking FA-003, and was glad with it)

Though this thread is for portable cans, would be really curious how you think about FA-003  =))

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #1,265 of 4,593

Quote:
Heys Joker! Just curious to ask, still remember when i was thinking about getting my first can, You said you were kinda interested to tryout FA-002 and 003. (which i end up taking FA-003, and was glad with it)

Though this thread is for portable cans, would be really curious how you think about FA-003  =))

To be honest there are a few headphones in this collection of reviews which are "Portable"  they really aren't small and in some cases they don't isolate or prevent leakage or they don't sound great off a basic portable source. Only a few headphones IJokerI has reviewed can achieve most of these things and still maintain a level of fidelity acceptable to audiophile ears.

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #1,266 of 4,593
Quote:

I've actually heard the FA-003 courtesy of rawrster and it's an impressive-sounding thing though not portable by any stretch of imagination. My lasting impression was one of balance and neutrality - very tight, crisp, and punchy across the spectrum. Soundstage is spherical and well-rounded, smaller than with my AKGs but (from memory) not far behind the Sony SA5k.

Quote:
To be honest there are a few headphones in this collection of reviews which are "Portable"  they really aren't small and in some cases they don't isolate or prevent leakage or they don't sound great off a basic portable source. Only a few headphones IJokerI has reviewed can achieve most of these things and still maintain a level of fidelity acceptable to audiophile ears.

In my defense people kept saying that if I reviewed some Grados, they would suddenly become portable 
tongue.gif
. There are standards though (believe it or not) - in order to be included in the thread a headphone has to be at least one of these three things:

1. Supraaural
2. Flat-folding and/or collapsible
3. Outfitted with a portable-length (<5ft) cable

Efficiency has never been a factor as some people here have portable rigs more powerful than my desktop setup. 

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #1,267 of 4,593
I would look forward to you starting a Full-Size Can Review Extravaganza Thread.. But ouch! Thats gonna predate the wallet big time like no tomorrow >.< Still i shall look forward to the day where you struck lottery and start buying all sorts of big cans to review before putting them on FS for super cheap price ROFL!

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #1,268 of 4,593
Quote:
No problem it's nice to have a better perspective on what I want vs need 
wink.gif

They should be here monday now the question is do I use them right away or resist and let them burn in for a day or two?

I say go ahead and use them - there's no advantage to resisting so why self-flagellate?

And I just did! Wow I thought my older Phillips SHE9500 sounded great but after 10 minutes these DT235s make me realize how 'tinny' the sound is on the earbuds.. almost painful by comparison. Listening to "EET" by Regina Spektor on the SHE9500 was like she was singing without mids into my ears and these DT235 sound more like I'm in a room with her playing.. if that makes sense?

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #1,269 of 4,593
I'd be really interested to hear what you have to say about the Phiaton MS 300; from what I hear, it's actually quite different from the MS 400 and I'm considering buying a pair either tonight or tomorrow. It would be my first real set of cans, so I want to get as many opinions as possible before I pay over $100 for headphones. :p

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #1,270 of 4,593

Quote:
I'd be really interested to hear what you have to say about the Phiaton MS 300; from what I hear, it's actually quite different from the MS 400 and I'm considering buying a pair either tonight or tomorrow. It would be my first real set of cans, so I want to get as many opinions as possible before I pay over $100 for headphones. :p

Sorry, I've never occasioned upon an MS300. I have yet to hear a poor product from Phiaton if that's any help but I haven't a clue how the MS300 differs from the MS400 aside from size.

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #1,271 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:

I've actually heard the FA-003 courtesy of rawrster and it's an impressive-sounding thing though not portable by any stretch of imagination. My lasting impression was one of balance and neutrality - very tight, crisp, and punchy across the spectrum. Soundstage is spherical and well-rounded, smaller than with my AKGs but (from memory) not far behind the Sony SA5k.

Quote:

In my defense people kept saying that if I reviewed some Grados, they would suddenly become portable 
tongue.gif
. There are standards though (believe it or not) - in order to be included in the thread a headphone has to be at least one of these three things:

1. Supraaural
2. Flat-folding and/or collapsible
3. Outfitted with a portable-length (<5ft) cable

Efficiency has never been a factor as some people here have portable rigs more powerful than my desktop setup. 

Not just the grado's but like the M50's are "portable" size.

I just think that open back Hi-fi isn't very Hi-fi when all you can hear are the sounds of the bus around you. I know that if you want to be serious about portable headphones you should use IEM cause full sized and Supraaural Just cannot compete in efficiency, portability, or passive( and sometimes active) isolation.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #1,272 of 4,593

Quote:

I've written up a review/comparison of the MS300 vs MS400 here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/523079/review-comparison-phiaton-showdown-ms-300-vs-ms-400-vs-ps-500

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #1,274 of 4,593
I used to fall for the whole "Open-back is superior to closed." spiel but both pairs of my Audio-Technica's (ATH AD500's & ATH AD700's) sounded like crap, UR40's sound like crap, my SEMI-open JVC HA-D700's sound great and my new closed-back Prodipe Pro800's have a bigger soundstage than my Maxell DHPii's.

Go figure, eh?

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #1,275 of 4,593
Open vs Closed depends entirely upon the listening environment and personal preference, although I'm not sure why you brought that up in this thread.

Quote:
I used to fall for the whole "Open-back is superior to closed." spiel but both pairs of my Audio-Technica's (ATH AD500's & ATH AD700's) sounded like crap, UR40's sound like crap, my SEMI-open JVC HA-D700's sound great and my new closed-back Prodipe Pro800's have a bigger soundstage than my Maxell DHPii's.

Go figure, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back