Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jan 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #2,836 of 4,593

Quote:
hey joker ... would you mind putting up the shure srh 440/840 ?? or atleast mention how it stands against the audio technica ath m50 in sound quality and isolation?

I've never heard either of the Shures.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #2,837 of 4,593
Best bass-head phone with (VERY preferably) a removable cable around the $100 dollar price range?
If there is none, around the $200 dollar price range?
(primarily listens to hip-hop/ rap/ and a touch of pop)

Thanks.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #2,838 of 4,593
A database is nothing if we can't sort things out and make it accessible... it would be like taking a chemistry handbook and trying to pin point blindly the substance we want to know the melting point of.

Of course this is not such a handbook (in terms of cheer size and because of the fact you're reading reviews and not a quick chemical word), but I'm taking an extreme as an example.

I appreciate that there are tags linking to a precise headphone name but a lot of the people who will end up consulting this list doesn't know the names of an headphone they do not know yet. The clear profile picture of each headphone is a very nice and helping thing and I appreciate that. I have recognized a few Sennheiser models and associated many more names I did not know to headphones I often see in public (not to many) and on head-fi (quite a few).

For a newcomer who doesn't know these brands and who is seeking for the best sound/value ratio, these reviews alone won't be of much help. Thought can use ctrl+f to search for "sound (9" and "value (9" expressions but that's would be groping in the dark. Sure if he can do that and learn more about many headphones along the way (instead of finding the one that fits his needs straight away) then I'm happy for him, but not everyone care about headphones or have the patience to read and understand (by consulting the Head-fi glossary) all that stuff. Average consumer Joe who Google his way for the time around here, your boss, the ones who corrects and grades my reports at engineering school, mostly care for numbers, :frowning2:, and they need to be well sorted in a graphical way and ****... u'know.

(But again, this information is destined to head-fi, so it shouldn't be a problem because we all are headphone enthusiasts)... (but I think this could be very practical for the outsiders)... (because they can flush out already all the bad sounding headphones and pick up a truly good product at Futureshop, for once... maybe, if Futureshop stocks any of them in the first place)

This consumer will enjoy the sound of his new headphones so much that he will come back to this thread, read the full review of the headphone in question, and say thanks to the OP.

I just noticed a little a graph on the bottom of the thread. I am sorry if I missed it in the first place, this does a big part of the job! Thank you

I'll try making an excel spreadsheet similar to it with all the reviews and maybe the images.

Quote:

Or you could be happy that someone is taking time from their life to put this all together in the first place ....

That's my opinion at least.

Yes I could have contented myself of what was already there and done... but I felt like something was missing and I pointed it out. I had not read any reviews, I just looked at the highest ratings for sound quality category. What I was thinking was that this information was already present in some text file or an excel sheet on one's computer, but that this person had not realized it could be a practical thing to had it handily (in a "sortable" format), and that was what I asked for.

I have read Joker's reply and I realized it wouldn't be as simple as attaching a file privately accessible to the thread, and I also now consider that he might not want to send out this information in wild just yet either.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #2,839 of 4,593

Quote:
Best bass-head phone with (VERY preferably) a removable cable around the $100 dollar price range?
If there is none, around the $200 dollar price range?
(primarily listens to hip-hop/ rap/ and a touch of pop)

Thanks.

From what I've tried, M-Audio Q40 and AKG K181DJ. Neither quite has the ridiculous impact of a Denon D1100 but they are definitely bass-heavy, cost less, and have removable cords. 

Quote:

This consumer will enjoy the sound of his new headphones so much that he will come back to this thread, read the full review of the headphone in question, and say thanks to the OP.

I just noticed a little a graph on the bottom of the thread. I am sorry if I missed it in the first place, this does a big part of the job! Thank you

I'll try making an excel spreadsheet similar to it with all the reviews and maybe the images.

While I did want this thread to be useful to those just starting out, it's not supposed to be a completely brain-dead resource. You are right that those who can't be bothered to put time into figuring out what they are after or at least posting a question and asking to be pointed in the right direction probably won't find the right set or come back to the thread, but that's alright.

By the way, someone did do a nice excel version of the table in my other thread (linked below the table). The excel spreadsheet is nicer than one I could've done myself and was originally made without my assistance. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #2,840 of 4,593
Hey there... Great review!!! But I was wondering whether the sennheiser hd-25 or v-moda m/v 80 would be better for rock,pop and bass and drum music ??

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #2,841 of 4,593

Quote:
Hey there... Great review!!! But I was wondering whether the sennheiser hd-25 or v-moda m/v 80 would be better for rock,pop and bass and drum music ??

Personally, I think the more aggressive and lively signature of the HD25 suits those genres better.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #2,842 of 4,593
Than which genres do the M 80 sound reproduce better???

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #2,843 of 4,593
Awesome, awesome thread.

I've also been trying to decide between the HD-25 and V-modas for: extreme metal, ambient/atmospheric stuff, electronic, and gaming... I feel like the bigger soundstage of the v-80's would help with the latter while the aggressiveness and treble of the hd-25's would do the former (i predominately listen to metal and atmospheric metal/electronica), trying to find the most versatile one. I guess there's a point where I'm splitting hairs and either is a great choice, but what would you give the edge to, |joker|? Also taking into consideration that my source is my iphone 4s, and I don't plan on getting an amp... (unless something like that alesis ampcase turns out pretty nice.)

However, I plan on getting headphones around March (my birthday), and both the M-100's and Senn Amperior are coming out around that time, so perhaps I should wait and see.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #2,844 of 4,593

Quote:
By the way, someone did do a nice excel version of the table in my other thread (linked below the table). The excel spreadsheet is nicer than one I could've done myself and was originally made without my assistance. 

Sweet, thank you! (I can't believe you also made one for IEMs, I had not seen it before. Good job on being so prolific and accurate too!)

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #2,845 of 4,593

Quote:
Than which genres do the M 80 sound reproduce better???

Quite a few but it does come down partly to preference. I really think the HD25 works great for Rock and Electronic music which is why recommending it for your genres was so easy. I would recommend the M-80 over the HD25 if you need its more forward midrange (e.g. for vocal-centric genres such as R&B), its better timbre and smoother treble (e.g. for classical music with violins, etc), or its more laid-back, more spacious sound.

Quote:
Awesome, awesome thread.

I've also been trying to decide between the HD-25 and V-modas for: extreme metal, ambient/atmospheric stuff, electronic, and gaming... I feel like the bigger soundstage of the v-80's would help with the latter while the aggressiveness and treble of the hd-25's would do the former (i predominately listen to metal and atmospheric metal/electronica), trying to find the most versatile one. I guess there's a point where I'm splitting hairs and either is a great choice, but what would you give the edge to, |joker|? Also taking into consideration that my source is my iphone 4s, and I don't plan on getting an amp... (unless something like that alesis ampcase turns out pretty nice.)

However, I plan on getting headphones around March (my birthday), and both the M-100's and Senn Amperior are coming out around that time, so perhaps I should wait and see.

I think you've got a good grasp of the differences between the two. I do prefer the M-80 for movies (and games) and the HD-25 for most of my music (which is largely rock and electronica). Neither really needs an amp but I think the M-80 was designed with efficiency in mind and really benefits very little from amplification. 

The M-100 probably won't be as portable as these two and the Amprerior is priced quite high up there so I don't know if their release will help with your dilemma. 

Quote:
Sweet, thank you! (I can't believe you also made one for IEMs, I had not seen it before. Good job on being so prolific and accurate too!)

Thanks, they do keep me busy

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #2,846 of 4,593
But is the difference very significant? Cause I really like the design and accessories of the v-80... And if the significance is not that big I would prefer the v80 

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #2,848 of 4,593
If someone sends ljokerl a pair, sure. :wink: But my guess is that the CX485 is somewhat similar to the CX281. It would be far more interesting to see a review of the OCX880. (If someone sends him a pair, of course!)

EDIT:
Yikes! Didn't realize this was the Portable Headphone thread! I'll remind myself not to post on Head-Fi before I've had my morning coffee!

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #2,849 of 4,593

Quote:
any way I can get a review of the 

Sennheiser CX 485?'

Whats an earbud doing in a portable headphone thread 
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back