Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Feb 15, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #1,636 of 4,593
Hi everybody from Spain.

Firt of all, i'd like to thank ljokerl for its fantastics reviews which have been very helpful to me during the last months.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones and i´d like to ask for your advice.

I am gonna use them only on the road and on the library that's why i need then not to leek much sound. Isolation is very important too, but i live in a small city (70.000 people) where the traffic is not extremely noisy, so i don´t need them to be like iems.

I mainly listen to rock: Zeppelin, Rolling, Beatles, Sabbath, Allman, Alice Cooper, Aerostmith, BOC, Yes, Camel, King Crimson, Grunge, etc. so i don´t need them to be versatile. I need them to be rockers!

I have some Alessandro Ms1i and i love their sound, although i have never tried a different ones.

My alternatives are:

Ultrasone dj1, second hand, for 60 euros (81$).
Numark PHX pro DJ. On Amazon for 39 pounds (62$)
Shure SRH440, on Amazon.de for 82€ (110$)
Fischer Audio's FA-004, on gd-audiobase for 83$

I ruled the AKG 81dj out, as i heard they are unconfortable, and i think they are worst than the others.
And I cannot go for the M50s, HD25, etc, as they are very expensive to me.

At this moment I feel inclined to the Fischers as they may match the sound i like (at least one sound i like). They are BEAUTIFUL and reasonably cheap. The cutbacks are they are not really portable (not as portable as the others), and the isolation, which i heard is not great, although enough to use them on the library.

Numark would be second now, very closed to the Fischer, mainly because the price
I have heard wonders about the Shure but the price and size push me back a little.

I feel attracted to the Ultrasone because their asolation. I also think they must have a better sound than Numark and Fischer, although i don´t really know.

I forgot to say i own both e5 and e7 amps, so that wouldn´t be a problem, although they are not fine amps.

I am open to suggestions, but remember that here in Europe almost everything is more expensive, so i would have to make a desicion between these 4.

Thanks in advance (Especially to the ones who read it all, :))

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #1,637 of 4,593
All I can say is that's a pretty good deal on the PHX. I have not tried the others you've listed but the PHX has very decent comfort and isolation unless you have very large ears (the cups aren't too big). Plus amazon is a good place to buy them as Numark is not known to have the greatest quality control.

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #1,639 of 4,593

Quote:
All I can say is that's a pretty good deal on the PHX. I have not tried the others you've listed but the PHX has very decent comfort and isolation unless you have very large ears (the cups aren't too big). Plus amazon is a good place to buy them as Numark is not known to have the greatest quality control.

Thanks a lot for your rapid answer ljokerl.
Do you think they are made for rock?

Which closed can, by the way, of the ones you know, would be better for rock, regardless the price?

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #1,640 of 4,593

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your rapid answer ljokerl.
Do you think they are made for rock?

Which closed can, by the way, of the ones you know, would be better for rock, regardless the price?

The PHX has a very specific flavor to it but I'm not one who thinks sound signature and genre preferences necessarily go hand in hand. I guess the answer would be that the PHX works for rock for me. The HD25 works well for rock, though for me its greatest strength is electronica.

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #1,641 of 4,593
joker, any chance you will be testing the Jays V-jays in the near future?

Thanks

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #1,644 of 4,593

Quote:
joker, any chance you will be testing the Jays V-jays in the near future?

Thanks

Not unless someone sends me a pair. 

Quote:
Wondered too. Recall DWeaver offered to lend his after finding he didn't really like 'em much. I guess their limited availability outside Europe makes them less attractive for review; Dweaver got his sent to Canada from UK.

I think he's still on his honeymoon with the DN-HP700.

Quote:
Im curious to see is the XB700 ranks above or below the XB500. Ive read there is quite a difference in their mid range. besides the obvious bass quantity one could guess.

Above. I think the way that the XB700 separates the bass and midrange makes less sacrifices overall compared to how the XB500 does it, though I'm sure many will disagree.

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #1,645 of 4,593
Thanks again ljokerl.
That's what i expected to hear.

Quote:
The PHX has a very specific flavor to it but I'm not one who thinks sound signature and genre preferences necessarily go hand in hand. I guess the answer would be that the PHX works for rock for me. The HD25 works well for rock, though for me its greatest strength is electronica.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #1,646 of 4,593
Fantastic! Thank you so much. I loved comparing your notes to what I remember of all the portable headsets I tried out. Your highest scoring headphones are inline what with I found (although I did not listen to all of the ones you did). Thanks for sharing.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #1,647 of 4,593
so which is better?.....the soundmagic p10 or the p20?

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #1,648 of 4,593

Quote:
so which is better?.....the soundmagic p10 or the p20?

The P10 since it's cheaper and doesn't require constant fit re-adjustment.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #1,650 of 4,593

Quote:
BTW, I ran into all sorts of problems with those Prodipe's so they're going to be a little bit late getting to you. Hope that's not a problem.

Nope, not at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back