Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Feb 25, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #3,886 of 4,593
Cheapest I've seen the CAL's like $70, maybe $60? M-80's down to $150 pretty often and it's been as low as $130 at Amazon and Radio Shack, so not quite a 3x difference in the US, more like 2x I'd think. Personally I think it's easily worth it for portable use (and I'm pretty careful with my stuff so durability isn't an overriding concern).

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #3,887 of 4,593
Just seeking a bit of advice here. 

Basically bought some Denon AH-D1100s a while back for a decent price, thinking oh yeah, "I'm definitely a bass head".. Well turns out, I'm not that much of one. 

Curious to see what would be a good alternate for about 80€(about the price I can sell these Denons for. 

Looking for less bass, and more clarity and detail would be a plus. 

The Sony MDR-V6 pop up as a good choice, any opinions? 

(should mention I have Superlux 668Bs and sometimes find them to be a bit too much in the top end)

EDIT: Should also mention I'm up for IEMs as well. Open to any suggestion really! 

(Source is iPod classic > C&C BH > ALAC)

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #3,888 of 4,593
Quote:
Just seeking a bit of advice here. 

Basically bought some Denon AH-D1100s a while back for a decent price, thinking oh yeah, "I'm definitely a bass head".. Well turns out, I'm not that much of one. 

Curious to see what would be a good alternate for about 80€(about the price I can sell these Denons for. 

Looking for less bass, and more clarity and detail would be a plus. 

The Sony MDR-V6 pop up as a good choice, any opinions? 

(should mention I have Superlux 668Bs and sometimes find them to be a bit too much in the top end)

EDIT: Should also mention I'm up for IEMs as well. Open to any suggestion really! 

(Source is iPod classic > C&C BH > ALAC)

I would consider the Creative Aurvana Live / Denon D1001. Not nearly as bassy as the newer Denons but IMO better as a result. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3,890 of 4,593
Mar 2, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #3,892 of 4,593
I need a little guidance on portable headphones.  I'm looking to get a second pair of cans on a budget.  I listened to a demo set of the Sony MDR-V6 at a local music store and really liked them.  I see that Joker gave both the Panasonic and the Sony headphones a 7.75 overall.  If the Panasonic cans are really on par with the Sony V6's then I'd definitely rather get the Panasonics for less than half the price.  Could someone point out a few specific differences between these two?  The MDR-V6 is a little more than I want to spend, but if it's worth the extra money then I'd be willing to get them over the HTF600.  

Thanks!

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #3,893 of 4,593
Quote:
I need a little guidance on portable headphones.  I'm looking to get a second pair of cans on a budget.  I listened to a demo set of the Sony MDR-V6 at a local music store and really liked them.  I see that Joker gave both the Panasonic and the Sony headphones a 7.75 overall.  If the Panasonic cans are really on par with the Sony V6's then I'd definitely rather get the Panasonics for less than half the price.  Could someone point out a few specific differences between these two?  The MDR-V6 is a little more than I want to spend, but if it's worth the extra money then I'd be willing to get them over the HTF600.  

Thanks!

The HTF-600 has a little more mid-bass (the V6 is nice and flat IIRC) and doesn't roll off the treble as early as the V6. I preferred the Panasonics, personally. 

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #3,895 of 4,593
Quote:
The HTF-600 has a little more mid-bass (the V6 is nice and flat IIRC) and doesn't roll off the treble as early as the V6. I preferred the Panasonics, personally. 

Quote:
I'd try to find the CAL! They frequently can be found for around $60. Also, I got my V6s refurbished for $30, and it is worth looking into.

I hadn't thought about the CAL! headphones.  After reading Joker's review I will definitely consider them over the V6.  My birthday is tomorrow, so I'll see how much funds I can acquire.  If I get a boat load of cash I might just go for the Audio Technica M50s, otherwise I'll probably go for the HTF-600 or CAL! headphones.  I really like the sound of my Sennheiser HD280 Pros, but I'd like something a little more comfortable and portable.  Thanks for the responses!  Much appreciated!

Edit: I just noticed that the HTF600 is 52 Ohms.  Is that going to need to much power for use with an iPod?  I currently do not have a portable amp, so if the HTF600 needs an amp I might go with the CAL! since it is lower impedance.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #3,898 of 4,593
ljokerl, I abolutely loved this post, I just found it so informative (noob headfier here) that I come back to it every now and then just to learn something. I particularly like how you include and review very unexpensive gear as seriously as the high-end goodies: it's quite useful for beginners and, I guess so, for audiophiles looking for toss-in-the-backpack options. 

In those lines, I would love to see the Sennheiser HD201 in the budget-fi section of this review: I own a pair and I do think they are really good cans for their price, and a great option for those willing to make their first baby step into audiophilia... or at least their first step out of the standard-crappy-earbuds realm.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3,899 of 4,593

I'd try to find the CAL! They frequently can be found for around $60. Also, I got my V6s refurbished for $30, and it is worth looking into.

I hadn't thought about the CAL! headphones.  After reading Joker's review I will definitely consider them over the V6.  My birthday is tomorrow, so I'll see how much funds I can acquire.  If I get a boat load of cash I might just go for the Audio Technica M50s, otherwise I'll probably go for the HTF-600 or CAL! headphones.  I really like the sound of my Sennheiser HD280 Pros, but I'd like something a little more comfortable and portable.  Thanks for the responses!  Much appreciated!

Edit: I just noticed that the HTF600 is 52 Ohms.  Is that going to need to much power for use with an iPod?  I currently do not have a portable amp, so if the HTF600 needs an amp I might go with the CAL! since it is lower impedance.

Higher impedance cans (up to a point) are easier to drive as they require less current (V=I*R, raise R, and you need less current (I)). Nevertheless, they may not get sufficiently loud, which is as much about sensitivity as impedance. Nevertheless, all of your options here should work fine with an iPod, and most were designed for portable use. Amping may help low-impedance cans sound better (amps tend to have lower output-impedance) and high impedance cans sound louder. Nevertheless, this is a massive digression, nothing you've mentioned will have problems being driven by an iPod. Also, don't feel obligated to run out and buy an expensive amp. While it may improve some things modestly, most iPods have pretty decent amps and DACs.

Many feel the M50 overrated. I think there are probably better options at that price point. Namely, I'd wait for a sale and get the vmodas. Just FYI, the M80 recently was on sale at Radio Shack for $130, and is currently $140 on Amazon. If you're using your cans on the go, it might be relevant that aside from sounding great, probably among the best in this thread, the M80 is the first can to reach military specs for durability.

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B005HSDLCO/ref=pd_sim_e_3

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #3,900 of 4,593
Quote:
Higher impedance cans (up to a point) are easier to drive as they require less current (V=I*R, raise R, and you need less current (I)). Nevertheless, they may not get sufficiently loud, which is as much about sensitivity as impedance. Nevertheless, all of your options here should work fine with an iPod, and most were designed for portable use. Amping may help low-impedance cans sound better (amps tend to have lower output-impedance) and high impedance cans sound louder. Nevertheless, this is a massive digression, nothing you've mentioned will have problems being driven by an iPod. Also, don't feel obligated to run out and buy an expensive amp. While it may improve some things modestly, most iPods have pretty decent amps and DACs.

Many feel the M50 overrated. I think there are probably better options at that price point. Namely, I'd wait for a sale and get the vmodas. Just FYI, the M80 recently was on sale at Radio Shack for $130, and is currently $140 on Amazon. If you're using your cans on the go, it might be relevant that aside from sounding great, probably among the best in this thread, the M80 is the first can to reach military specs for durability.

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B005HSDLCO/ref=pd_sim_e_3

I didn't realize the V-Moda M80 is selling for only $140.  I would definitely go for that if I get the money.  Thanks for the info on impedance, sensitivity, portable amps, etc.  I guess I need to figure out my budget before I go any further... lol.  The Panasonic HTF600, Creative Aurvana Live!, and V-Moda M80 all seem like great options to me, but the price differences are huge.  I don't know if I'm willing to shell out more than $100 right now, so I'll probably go for the Panasonic or Creative headphones.  But if I get a surprise jumbo birthday check in the mail I might reconsider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back