Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Oct 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #3,526 of 4,593
Nice shootout. Thank you very much. Just ordered HFI-450's.
Hopefully I'll get them next friday 
beerchug.gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #3,527 of 4,593
     was listening to the zx700 of my friend and when is compared to the hd449 , i was like wow !! why would some one buy a zx700 ? may be because of the seal and build , but the hd449 aces the audio quality , at least thats what i feel . i hope joker will do a review of the hd449 soon .

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #3,530 of 4,593
Quote:
Thanks, this thread caused me to lurk head-fi and resulted in my learning much more about headphones, amps, speakers, DACs, etc. I also got ATH-M50s because of this thread.

Very glad to hear that! I good hooked the same way, on a thread comparing several clip-ons posted by Kostalex years ago. The first head-fi thread I bookmarked. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #3,531 of 4,593
It would be good to see the Monoprice 8323 in this list. It is somewhat portable, compares in terms of looks and size of the Panasonics, and would be a decent benchmark on your opinions on them compared to other headphones.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #3,532 of 4,593
Hey joker, I'd love if you could help me a little. I'm looking to buy an Over Ear headphone at maximum 60$, perferably less. Portability isn't very important, but it would be nice if they could fold up. It's really important to me that the treble will be good, smooth and not grainy and painful, since I've had headphones that are like that.
I've been looking at the Panasonic RP HTF600S, should I buy these? Do you have a better suggestion?
Edit: As far as music goes, I listen mostly to rock and metal (anywhere from Pink Floyd to Pantera and Lamb of God), however I also listen to some jazz and orchestral music. I do listen to some tracks that utilize bass in a more modern form, but not alot :p

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #3,533 of 4,593
Quote:
Hey joker, I'd love if you could help me a little. I'm looking to buy an Over Ear headphone at maximum 60$, perferably less. Portability isn't very important, but it would be nice if they could fold up. It's really important to me that the treble will be good, smooth and not grainy and painful, since I've had headphones that are like that.
I've been looking at the Panasonic RP HTF600S, should I buy these? Do you have a better suggestion?
Edit: As far as music goes, I listen mostly to rock and metal (anywhere from Pink Floyd to Pantera and Lamb of God), however I also listen to some jazz and orchestral music. I do listen to some tracks that utilize bass in a more modern form, but not alot :p

What options are available in your area?

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #3,534 of 4,593
Quote:
 What options are available in your area?

I live in Israel so there aren't really good options in a good price, I'm planning on buying the headphones from eBay. It's also possible to buy from Amazon or an eBay seller that only sells to the US, since my girlfriend has a relative there that can get it to me.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #3,535 of 4,593
Quote:
It would be good to see the Monoprice 8323 in this list. It is somewhat portable, compares in terms of looks and size of the Panasonics, and would be a decent benchmark on your opinions on them compared to other headphones.

Actually I think the 8323 is more portable than the Panasonics - the cups are smaller and they fold. Plus, the cable is short (and removable). I think it's pretty good but not as good as the HTF-600. It's a little dark-sounding and wouldn't score above a 7 on sound. 

Quote:

I think highly of the HTF600 but I have to point out that they don't fold up in any way. Other than that they're probably the best you'll get for the money. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #3,536 of 4,593
Quote:

Actually I think the 8323 is more portable than the Panasonics - the cups are smaller and they fold. Plus, the cable is short (and removable). I think it's pretty good but not as good as the HTF-600. It's a little dark-sounding and wouldn't score above a 7 on sound. 

I think highly of the HTF600 but I have to point out that they don't fold up in any way. Other than that they're probably the best you'll get for the money. 

Thanks for the reply! :)
Would you mind telling me a little about the treble of the HTF600 and do you think I'll be satisfied with it?
Also, would you mind comparing the HTF600 to headphones like the HD428 and the Shure SRH440? These are headphones I had little experience with, I liked them both, especially the SRH440.
Thanks alot in advance! :)

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #3,537 of 4,593
Quote:

I live in Israel so there aren't really good options in a good price, I'm planning on buying the headphones from eBay. It's also possible to buy from Amazon or an eBay seller that only sells to the US, since my girlfriend has a relative there that can get it to me.

https://www.blinq.com/#consumer-electronics/headphones/sony-dr-zx701ip-drzx701ip-monitor-headphones-for-iphone/81733

Have your girlfriend get her relative to order these.

I read the part where ljokerl says that the HTF600 trebles lack refinement and can get a little grainy at times, so I was wondering if you were willing to get headphones which have less prominent but smoother trebles.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #3,538 of 4,593
Quote:

https://www.blinq.com/#consumer-electronics/headphones/sony-dr-zx701ip-drzx701ip-monitor-headphones-for-iphone/81733

Have your girlfriend get her relative to order these.

Thanks for the link! That's half the price on Joker's review of the ZX700.
Joker, what's your opinion for these? Is it a better option than the HTF600?

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #3,539 of 4,593
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! :)
Would you mind telling me a little about the treble of the HTF600 and do you think I'll be satisfied with it?
Also, would you mind comparing the HTF600 to headphones like the HD428 and the Shure SRH440? These are headphones I had little experience with, I liked them both, especially the SRH440.
Thanks alot in advance! :)

The HD428 has much less bass than the HTF600 and a flatter, less v-shaped sound overall. I actually quite like the HD428 - it's the headphone that sits at my computer, though if the HTF didn't get so hot with prolonged use I'd probably have kept that instead. Never heard the SRH440.

Quote:
Thanks for the link! That's half the price on Joker's review of the ZX700.
Joker, what's your opinion for these? Is it a better option than the HTF600?

Good price. The ZX700 is definitely smoother than the HTF600. Good sound overall, could use a little more sub-bass to definitively beat the HTF600 in my book but it's warm and punchy. Doesn't fold for transport. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #3,540 of 4,593
Quote:

The HD428 has much less bass than the HTF600 and a flatter, less v-shaped sound overall. I actually quite like the HD428 - it's the headphone that sits at my computer, though if the HTF didn't get so hot with prolonged use I'd probably have kept that instead. Never heard the SRH440.

Good price. The ZX700 is definitely smoother than the HTF600. Good sound overall, could use a little more sub-bass to definitively beat the HTF600 in my book but it's warm and punchy. Doesn't fold for transport. 

Thanks again! :)
As I previously said, the bass isn't all that important to me. So the ZX700 is the better option? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back