Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Aug 5, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #3,331 of 4,593
Quote:
It just opened everything up. Joker reviewed the moded and unmoded KSC75, and while he may disagree, I would guess that the biggest contributor to that was his Kramer moding, though the distance from the ear may have increased soundstage.

I don't think you could get much more thorough than this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/124243/kramer-mod-ksc75

Thanks a lot! The mods look intended for the KSC75's on their earclips. I really like using the KSC75 drivers on the headband - hopefully those mods (or your mods) would work OK for that.  I will go through that thread and see what I can find. Thanks again!

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #3,333 of 4,593
So I have a pre-manufactured version of your modded KSC75's, in essence. Cool. They are phenomenal for the $20 I paid. I think I like them more than the porta pro.

Yup. On the headband, I prefer the KSC75 drivers. On the earclips, I prefered the Portapro drivers. Go figure. I kept the KSC75/headband, but it was close, and I have a feeling I'll be getting the Portapro's for the clips again someday. Mind you, I also just got a pair of Sennheiser PX100-II's (and am starting to lust over the Beyerdynamics DT1350's), so I think that I should probably just cool my jets for a while!

But back to the KSC75&headband/KTXpro1, yes, they do sound amazing.

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #3,334 of 4,593
It's ok, I have the original PX models in addition to the updated version of the 200s. And two pairs of the black porta pros. Now I have the KTXpro1. I tend to like the small portables more, although I also have some bigger ones...I MIGHT not buy anymore headphones from this point on. But who knows, I might find a great deal somewhere.

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #3,335 of 4,593
Quote:
If you were looking for an upgrade, I found the biggest upgrade to the KSC75 came by simply replacing the plastic bit on the front with a piece of tight, metal window screen. It allows much more air to readily move with the driver. It was a $5, 5 minute mod (I used some epoxy tamale), and I found a pretty massive difference, just a thought.

But, that's off topic!

I got curious and popped off the plastic grille.

Lesson 1: when someone (such as yourself) points me to a good tutorial which includes how to pop off the plastic grille, review that link before attempting to pop off the plastic grille, or else you might do it wrong and break off a plastic tab or something.

Lesson 2: when you see a small dimple in the driver, don't sit there like a dumb-ass assuming that it was already there. Assume that the driver is the thinnest and most delicate material known to man, and that you are putting the dimples into the driver by so much as breathing on it
eek.gif

Lesson 3: take the damned driver off of the headband before doing any of this stuff, otherwise driver destruction is inevitable.

So, after learning my lessons, my right ksc75 driver now looks like this:

D'oh! I got it put back together without any more destruction, and I might not have destroyed the sound (although I would be surprised if not).

Anyway, now I know how to do it properly! I just have to find some appropriate screen material and glue. And maybe another pair of drivers LOL!

Cheers

Edit: Lesson #4: Don't pull the cable out of your phone and leave it dangling, because then you might step on it while walking up some stairs and yank the wire out of one of your drivers. Busted wire definitely affects the sound of the drivers more than a dimpled driver. Sigh!

Aug 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #3,336 of 4,593
Quote:

Lesson 1: when someone (such as yourself) points me to a good tutorial which includes how to pop off the plastic grille, review that link before attempting to pop off the plastic grille, or else you might do it wrong and break off a plastic tab or something.

Lesson 2: when you see a small dimple in the driver, don't sit there like a dumb-ass assuming that it was already there. Assume that the driver is the thinnest and most delicate material known to man, and that you are putting the dimples into the driver by so much as breathing on it
eek.gif

Lesson 3: take the damned driver off of the headband before doing any of this stuff, otherwise driver destruction is inevitable.

So, after learning my lessons, my right ksc75 driver now looks like this:

D'oh! I got it put back together without any more destruction, and I might not have destroyed the sound (although I would be surprised if not).

Anyway, now I know how to do it properly! I just have to find some appropriate screen material and glue. And maybe another pair of drivers LOL!

Cheers

If you use some scotch tape, you can fix it, you should post over in the KSC75 mod thread, this thread is sort of off topic here. Search the other thread for scotch tape and you'll see how to fix it. But no, small dimples are probably not a problem.

Aug 6, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #3,337 of 4,593
Yeah a couple of small dimples on the outside of it shouldn't affect the sound too much.

My old PX 100's have a small indentation on one of the drivers, and I didn't notice any difference in sound. I had an old pair of porta pros that I got replaced that had several indentations in them from me trying to pick hair out of the grill. Again, I didn't notice any strange buzzing or decrease in sound quality. I think that outside covering is mostly for protection. Obviously if it's completely bent out of shape it'll affect the sound, though. But being careful is a good idea...

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #3,338 of 4,593
Or again, Kramer5150 (I think, I always forget the numbers, it's definitely Kramer, though) outlined the process of using scotch tape to delicately fix the driver surface.

Okay, let's let this thread get back on topic!

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #3,339 of 4,593
Quote:

eek.gif

Edit: Lesson #4: Don't pull the cable out of your phone and leave it dangling, because then you might step on it while walking up some stairs and yank the wire out of one of your drivers. Busted wire definitely affects the sound of the drivers more than a dimpled driver. Sigh!

|joker|, this may quite possibly be the last OT post that I ever make to your awesome thread! I got my new KSC75's and successfully got the plastic grills replaced with screen mesh material. So now I have KSC75 drivers with screen mesh on Part-express headband with Portapro pads. Whew! Even though they haven't been burned in yet, I've got to say that this combo sounds friggin' fantastic to my ears. I'm sure that they will keep my lust for the Beyer DT1350's at bay for at least a little while!

Edit: I reverted back to using the stock KSC75 pads instead of the Portapro pads.

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #3,340 of 4,593
|joker|, this may quite possibly be the last OT post that I ever make to your awesome thread! I got my new KSC75's and successfully got the plastic grills replaced with screen mesh material. So now I have KSC75 drivers with screen mesh on Part-express headband with Portapro pads. Whew! Even though they haven't been burned in yet, I've got to say that this combo sounds friggin' fantastic to my ears. I'm sure that they will keep my lust for the Beyer DT1350's at bay for at least a little while!

And knowing you did it yourself makes them even sweeter.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #3,343 of 4,593
I've seen some people with reviews of the PX 200 IIs and they are saying it has "very poor isolation". Seriously? I find them to have amazing passive noise cancelling. What gives? Are they just not getting a good fit?

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #3,344 of 4,593
Quote:
I've seen some people with reviews of the PX 200 IIs and they are saying it has "very poor isolation". Seriously? I find them to have amazing passive noise cancelling. What gives? Are they just not getting a good fit

the main trouble i think is that , those are too small in size . it dont fit me at least .

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #3,345 of 4,593
Quote:
Which of the headphones in the list would you say has a sound signature closest to that of the Fischer Audio Silver Bullet IEMs?

V-Moda M-80, Fischer Oldskool 33 1/3, Panasonic HTF-600. Depends on what you like most about the SBs as the M-80 will have a bit less sparkle in the treble, the 33 1/3 will have less bass impact, and the HTF-600 will have a less sweet and prominent midrange. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back