Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jul 28, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #3,317 of 4,593
Hi Joker,

I been a great fan of your IEM and portable Headphone review in Head-fi.

Through your detail and comprehensive review I managed to find a IEM that fits close to my gene of music.

Monster Turbine Pro Gold.

I dont know if I a bass head but I prefer bass with a sub woofer sort of feel that moves plentiful of air. Vocal and separtation is very important to me. However I sensitive to sharp, bright treble which makes me unable to listen for long extended period. 

Recently I receive a Beyerdynamic T50p as a birthday gift that look like DT1350. Somehow I not satisfied with the sound. It is like something missing. No bass, vocal and everything wrong. I been burning it after 100hrs. The sound improves but still no where near my monster turbine Pro Gold capability.

I thinking of returning it.

Appreciate if I can seek advice from you what portable headphone will suite me best? I willing to top up more to get the sound I want.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #3,318 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi Joker,

I been a great fan of your IEM and portable Headphone review in Head-fi.

Through your detail and comprehensive review I managed to find a IEM that fits close to my gene of music.

Monster Turbine Pro Gold.

I dont know if I a bass head but I prefer bass with a sub woofer sort of feel that moves plentiful of air. Vocal and separtation is very important to me. However I sensitive to sharp, bright treble which makes me unable to listen for long extended period. 

Recently I receive a Beyerdynamic T50p as a birthday gift that look like DT1350. Somehow I not satisfied with the sound. It is like something missing. No bass, vocal and everything wrong. I been burning it after 100hrs. The sound improves but still no where near my monster turbine Pro Gold capability.

I thinking of returning it.

Appreciate if I can seek advice from you what portable headphone will suite me best? I willing to top up more to get the sound I want.

Thanks in advance.

While I've never heard the T50p, I think you will enjoy the sound of the V-Moda M-80. It's smooth and warm but not extremely bassy, much like the MTPG. If you want to try something a little cheaper, the Creative Aurvana Live! might work for you as well.

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #3,319 of 4,593
Thanks Joker for the reply. However the V-Moda M-80 not available at the store.

Audio technica ATH-ES9 (wood), ATH-ES10 (Titanium) are the only 2 that small enough to be consider portable.

Which of the 2 will be closer to my gene?

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #3,320 of 4,593
Quote:
Thanks Joker for the reply. However the V-Moda M-80 not available at the store.

Audio technica ATH-ES9 (wood), ATH-ES10 (Titanium) are the only 2 that small enough to be consider portable.

Which of the 2 will be closer to my gene?

While I don't think either is a great match for the MTPG or as well-suited for what you're asking as the M-80, the ES10 may be downright offensive to you with its energetic, shimmery treble. I would still recommend a Denon D1001k/Creative Aurvana Live! over the ESW9 unless, that is, you can go try an ESW9 in store to make sure it works for you.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #3,323 of 4,593
Quote:
They appear to have the Ti drivers, which if I'm not mistaken, they share with the KSC75. Might be a KSC75 on a headband, of sorts.

Yeah someone else said that. I'm not sure which drivers go with which, but I'm aware that Koss interchangeably uses the same drivers for a bunch of portable models. All I know is that they sound really good, especially given the price.

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #3,325 of 4,593
Quote:
Yeah someone else said that. I'm not sure which drivers go with which, but I'm aware that Koss interchangeably uses the same drivers for a bunch of portable models. All I know is that they sound really good, especially given the price.

You're not kidding. I am loving my KSC75's on the Parts-express headband (with portapro pads). Quite an amazing sound IMO.

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #3,326 of 4,593
Quote:

You're not kidding. I am loving my KSC75's on the Parts-express headband (with portapro pads). Quite an amazing sound IMO.

If you were looking for an upgrade, I found the biggest upgrade to the KSC75 came by simply replacing the plastic bit on the front with a piece of tight, metal window screen. It allows much more air to readily move with the driver. It was a $5, 5 minute mod (I used some epoxy tamale), and I found a pretty massive difference, just a thought.

But, that's off topic!

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #3,327 of 4,593
Quote:
They appear to have the Ti drivers, which if I'm not mistaken, they share with the KSC75. Might be a KSC75 on a headband, of sorts.

This is correct. I think one of the full-size Koss sets uses the same Ti drivers. Might be the UR20. 

Quote:
Joker how about reviewing the Sony mdr zx100 they are only 10 dollars and I heard they are really good.

Sorry, not taking on any new reviews at the moment.

Quote:
If you were looking for an upgrade, I found the biggest upgrade to the KSC75 came by simply replacing the plastic bit on the front with a piece of tight, metal window screen. It allows much more air to readily move with the driver. It was a $5, 5 minute mod (I used some epoxy tamale), and I found a pretty massive difference, just a thought.

But, that's off topic!

That's basically what the Kramer mod is except that your screen will be uniform while the Kramer mod can be adjusted for balance depending on where you drill the holes. 

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #3,328 of 4,593
Quote:

This is correct. I think one of the full-size Koss sets uses the same Ti drivers. Might be the UR20. 

Sorry, not taking on any new reviews at the moment.

That's basically what the Kramer mod is except that your screen will be uniform while the Kramer mod can be adjusted for balance depending on where you drill the holes. 

I considered doing it Kramer's way, but feared that I'd screw it up and figured this was easier. I destroyed my KSC75s recently, trying to extract the driver from the cup (it's a bad idea, don't do it, they are one in the same), but the stock plastic really holds them back, increasing the permeability fo the front is great!

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #3,329 of 4,593
Quote:
I considered doing it Kramer's way, but feared that I'd screw it up and figured this was easier. I destroyed my KSC75s recently, trying to extract the driver from the cup (it's a bad idea, don't do it, they are one in the same), but the stock plastic really holds them back, increasing the permeability fo the front is great!

Sorry |joker| for continuing down the path of OT-ness... but scootsit, how does that mod change the sound?

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #3,330 of 4,593
Quote:

Sorry |joker| for continuing down the path of OT-ness... but scootsit, how does that mod change the sound?

It just opened everything up. Joker reviewed the moded and unmoded KSC75, and while he may disagree, I would guess that the biggest contributor to that was his Kramer moding, though the distance from the ear may have increased soundstage.

I don't think you could get much more thorough than this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/124243/kramer-mod-ksc75

Users who are viewing this thread

Back