Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jan 13, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #2,791 of 4,593

Quote:
yeah I get confused with the different types of bass, like for the ms400 it was more warmth than punch, for the hd25 it was more punch than anything but still a lot of impact, and for the m50 it was more impact (as in I could feel it). Is my interpretation of the vocab correct ?XD For the studios it was a crap load of impact, and nothing else.  i was hoping for near ball rattling impact, probably a little more than the m80 and m50. Not quite studio level because anything but trash lil wayne hip hop sounded really bad and so undynamic. 

That's a quality problem - I doubt it will be an issue with the D1100 even though they are bassier than the Studios.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #2,792 of 4,593

Quote:

That's a quality problem - I doubt it will be an issue with the D1100 even though they are bassier than the Studios.

oh wow nice so over all more bass presence ? I doubt they have as much impact as the lp or the studios, cause I swear they put a vibrator in those headphones XD 

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #2,793 of 4,593

Quote:
oh wow nice so over all more bass presence ? I doubt they have as much impact as the lp or the studios, cause I swear they put a vibrator in those headphones XD 

In my experience, the D1100 has more impactful and overall better quality/quantity of bass than the Beats. It's a true basshead can with refinement. I can't speak for the LPs although I would like to try those.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #2,794 of 4,593

Quote:
Alright, back to headphones. Thanks to whoever cleaned up the thread.

New HD25 variant: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/dj-headphones_505574

Logic dictates that I shouldn't want them since I'm perfectly happy with the industrial plastic of the regular HD25 and these will command a $150 premium.

What's this "logic" thing.  All I need to know is if they really light up like that.  Then I can wonder into the night with my head flashing.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #2,795 of 4,593
I just wanted to say a great big THANK YOU to ljokerl !!!

I finally received the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II headphones today. They are perfect for me!!!

I'm listening now. I never thought of my set-up as a "rig", but with the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II headphones connected to my iMac I really feel like I have something special.

I should add that I also discovered Pandora with a new iPod touch using wifi in the house. Wow, super! And the iPod Touch drives the HD 25-1 II just fine. I couldn't be happier!

Thank you again,
Ken

My "rig"! I guess you can tell I'm a family man too.

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #2,796 of 4,593

Quote:
Alright, back to headphones. Thanks to whoever cleaned up the thread.

New HD25 variant: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/dj-headphones_505574

Logic dictates that I shouldn't want them since I'm perfectly happy with the industrial plastic of the regular HD25 and these will command a $150 premium.

That is a hefty price for the added remote/mic for the Apple devices, but I know my son would love that functionality. Being able to change the volume and answer the phone without removing it from your pocket or backback is a nice feature. I suspect my son would also like the option for the silver or blue ear cups, so there is a bit of function and style for the $150. Still quite a bit of money for the new features, but it would be nice to have HD 25-1 II headphones with that added! My son has all that on his Dr. Dry Beat Solos, but of course they don't sound like the HD 25-1 II.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #2,798 of 4,593
After talking to the big wigs at the Sennheiser booth at CES, I am more confused than before. All of them claimed that the drivers are identical to the HD25-1 II and that the changes were purely cosmetic. Noone could explain the difference in impedance and one gentleman from Senn UK said it had to be a typo. One thing you can't see in the pics is that they change the pad material - they are now a velvety sort of fabric, not sure how they will fare in long-term comfort but short listening was quite pleasant, no discomfort at all. I was told the foam inside the pads is a little softer now. The aluminum cups/accents did not add much weight compared to my HD25.

Quote:
I just wanted to say a great big THANK YOU to ljokerl !!!

I finally received the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II headphones today. They are perfect for me!!!

I'm listening now. I never thought of my set-up as a "rig", but with the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II headphones connected to my iMac I really feel like I have something special.

I should add that I also discovered Pandora with a new iPod touch using wifi in the house. Wow, super! And the iPod Touch drives the HD 25-1 II just fine. I couldn't be happier!

Thank you again,
Ken

Awesome, glad to hear it!  

Quote:
Don't forget that the price is MRSP, street price will probably be lower.

Probably not for a while, though. Senn is pretty good with price control on their higher-end models.

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #2,799 of 4,593

Quote:
What's this "logic" thing.  All I need to know is if they really light up like that.  Then I can wonder into the night with my head flashing.

but of course they do. 
biggrin.gif

and they look nice in blue too, but 150 usd more? i dont know.

HD25Amperior(Midnight)_IntroImage.png

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #2,800 of 4,593

Quote:

That is a hefty price for the added remote/mic for the Apple devices, but I know my son would love that functionality. Being able to change the volume and answer the phone without removing it from your pocket or backback is a nice feature. I suspect my son would also like the option for the silver or blue ear cups, so there is a bit of function and style for the $150. Still quite a bit of money for the new features, but it would be nice to have HD 25-1 II headphones with that added! My son has all that on his Dr. Dry Beat Solos, but of course they don't sound like the HD 25-1 II.

What a great gift! Very nice of you, I'm sure he'll love it. The HD25 is my most used headphone and I had wished they had a mic also so I'm sure the edition with the mic (and nice styling) coupled with the much better SQ, he'll be happy.

Quote:
After talking to the big wigs at the Sennheiser booth at CES, I am more confused than before. All of them claimed that the drivers are identical to the HD25-1 II and that the changes were purely cosmetic. Noone could explain the difference in impedance and one gentleman from Senn UK said it had to be a typo. One thing you can't see in the pics is that they change the pad material - they are now a velvety sort of fabric, not sure how they will fare in long-term comfort but short listening was quite pleasant, no discomfort at all. I was told the foam inside the pads is a little softer now. The aluminum cups/accents did not add much weight compared to my HD25.

That's pretty strange. Thanks for the info.

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #2,801 of 4,593
Doubt it's a typo. I'm pretty sure, they lowered the impedance, so that it would be louder than the Beats headphones with the same settings. Degrades the sound quality of course, but who cares, right? (lower damping, the amp distorts more) I wonder if the aluminum cups have some degrading effect too, but that's probably not noticeable. Any chance you asked them, whether the cable would be compatible with the old one, or not? 
Quote:

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #2,802 of 4,593
I've posted this in the IEM thread already, but here are my personal listening impressions from CES with the IEMs removed. I've broken them up into three categories. These are based on quick impressions against a couple of benchmark IEMs I brought with me.

Brand
Model (Price)
Type
Notes
Sets I was impressed by and would have loved to write a full review of
AKG / Harman
K550 ($300)
Closed, circumaural
Flat and pretty neutral, but punchy; good resolution, comfortable, excellent build quality, relatively easy to drive
K495 NC ($350)
Closed, supraaural, noise-cancelling
Very comfortable, excellent noise-canceling circuit, fun, reasonably clear sound with ANC off
House of Marley
Exodus ($150)
Closed, supraaural
Clear, well-balanced, good detail, comfortable
Skullcandy
Mix Master Mike ($300)
Closed, circumaural
Easily the best thing I’ve heard from Skullcandy. Rich feature set, nice design and isolation, balanced sound with a bump in the bass, very clean and enjoyable. Would be happier at $200 price point
Sets I was not unimpressed by but would need more time to evaluate properly
House of Marley
Stir it up ($200)
Closed, supraaural
Less controlled & clear than cheaper Exodus
Redemption Song ($200)
Closed, supraaural
Less controlled & clear than cheaper Exodus
Name unknown (price unknown)
Closed, circumaural
Unreleased circumaural headphone. Nice construction and very comfortable. Tuning not finalized; did not sound as good as Exodus
Scosche
RH1056m ($230)
Closed, circumaural
Surprisingly balanced for a Beats clone. Clean, punchy bass and smooth all around
Sets I was not impressed by
House of Marley
TTR Destiny ($300)
Closed, circumaural, noise-cancelling
Muddy and congested. Only works with ANC on
Logic3 / Ferrari
R300 ($300)
Closed, circumaural, noise-cancelling
Muddy and boomy, top-end roll-off, poor clarity. Only works with ANC on
Scosche
RH656md ($130)
Closed, supraaural
New on-ear headphones. Sounded boomy and flat
Skullcandy
Aviator ($150)
Closed, circumaural
Crap all around

Quote:
Doubt it's a typo. I'm pretty sure, they lowered the impedance, so that it would be louder than the Beats headphones with the same settings. Degrades the sound quality of course, but who cares, right? (lower damping, the amp distorts more) I wonder if the aluminum cups have some degrading effect too, but that's probably not noticeable. Any chance you asked them, whether the cable would be compatible with the old one, or not? 

Didn't ask, but the cable attachment seemed similar. I did not see the remote on any of the display units.

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #2,803 of 4,593
Thanks for posting that |joker|. Can I ask what dap/amp you used to test out these cans? Those K550s definitely look pretty sweet. I am surprised though by your 'crap all around' comment on the Aviators though. I find that they sound better when amped but that's just my opinion. Besides the sound, I wish the build and isolation were better, especially for that price tag.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #2,804 of 4,593
Greetings!
I came to your topic to ask you some questions, I have the Pioneer SE-mj5 and I like their sound, of course, not technically the best that I have, but is the most "enjoyable", but I'm going to sell them because I can't use long time, they are too tight, so I want some similar sound (good bass, normal mid, great highs) but more comfortable.

Compared to the-mj5 and Sony MDR-XB700.

Which has more bass?
 Which has more mid / high?
 Which is more enjoyable?
 Which sounds more clear?

I also thought about the models, Koss Pro DJ 100, Denon DN-HP700, actually also in several Audio Technica, but these are out of my price range, because in my country they cost twice as much.

Street Prices in my country. 
[size=10pt]Sony XB700 $105[/size]
[size=10pt]Koss dj100  $100[/size]
[size=10pt]Denon hp700 $147[/size]

[size=10pt]Audio technica M50 $220 (far from my budget)[/size]

[size=10pt]To use just for music.[/size]

[size=10pt]Genres that I normally hear: Rock, Ambient, Full-on, Trance, some Pop, D&B, Metal.[/size]

[size=10pt]If you have any other suggestions, will be more than welcome.[/size]

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #2,805 of 4,593
Hi, ljokerl, while you were at the Skullcandy booth, did you happen to see the Hesh II?

After the Mix Master Mike, it actually looks somewhat promising.. Hoping that it might actually be quite good..

Though I might be wishing for the impossible, the rep. doesn't seem to know what he is talking about,,,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back