Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Nov 5, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #2,552 of 4,593
thank you very much for writing these reviews and comparisons.

I am currently looking for closed and easily driven headphones to use with my iphone. i am looking for a warm and bassy sound. they should be forgiving because a lot of my mp3s are of bad quality.

i bought the denon 1100 but i am not entirely satisfied. the highs are often too harsh when listening to mp3s. i know that is not the denon's fault because my marantz test-cd sounds beautiful with these headphones.

can you suggest me an alternative to the denon 1100 that is more forgiving especially in regard of the highs. the highs become fatiguing after a while when using bad source material?

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #2,553 of 4,593

Quote:
thank you very much for writing these reviews and comparisons.

I am currently looking for closed and easily driven headphones to use with my iphone. i am looking for a warm and bassy sound. they should be forgiving because a lot of my mp3s are of bad quality.

i bought the denon 1100 but i am not entirely satisfied. the highs are often too harsh when listening to mp3s. i know that is not the denon's fault because my marantz test-cd sounds beautiful with these headphones.

can you suggest me an alternative to the denon 1100 that is more forgiving especially in regard of the highs. the highs become fatiguing after a while when using bad source material?

I haven't heard a whole lot of higher-end bass-heavy sets that are also smooth/not edgy. Sony's XB series comes to mind - very forgiving headphones. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #2,555 of 4,593
any plans from anyone to send Joker the upcoming Fidelio L1 from pillips? it is only $300 and looks portable 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #2,556 of 4,593

Quote:
Hi Joker,

It's probably been said throughout the thread but what kind of equipment do you test the headphones with? Aka mp3 player, external dacs/amps etc.

Cheers

its in his sig, and i also know he uses a mini3 high performance too sometimes 

Home: Audigy4Pro > Zero DAC > Heed CanAmp (modded) > K601 / K701 / Pro 650 / HD580
Transportable: iBasso D10 > HD25-1  |  Portable: J3 > 1964-T / UM Miracle / CT200 / CK10

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #2,557 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi Joker,

It's probably been said throughout the thread but what kind of equipment do you test the headphones with? Aka mp3 player, external dacs/amps etc.

Cheers

Quote:
its in his sig, and i also know he uses a mini3 high performance too sometimes 

Thanks, it's also on the front page of the thread, below the table of contents.

The Fidelio looks great and I was a fan of the old Philips HP1000. Certainly an interesting pair.

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #2,559 of 4,593

Quote:
WOW! What a fantastic thread. Bookmarked and eager to read more. Thank you so much for your efforts!

Thanks, glad the thread has been useful.

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #2,560 of 4,593
Hey joker, you going to review the FOTM Panasonics HTF600? Would like to see how it stacks up against your collection of budget killers.

Oh, and just a head's up; maybe you could try the Superlux HD681F? The soundstaging on these cans are nothing short of amazing.

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #2,561 of 4,593

Quote:
Hey joker, you going to review the FOTM Panasonics HTF600? Would like to see how it stacks up against your collection of budget killers.

Oh, and just a head's up; maybe you could try the Superlux HD681F? The soundstaging on these cans are nothing short of amazing.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm all queued up for the time being, though. There are 5 mid-high end headphones I've been meaning to review but haven't had the time and at least that many more from the <$100 realm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back