Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jun 29, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #2,177 of 4,593
Man I must be deaf. Bought a pair of Creative Aurvana Lives for $60. Ended up not liking them at all so I got a pair of Bose Triport AE2s (got a very good return policy!) and like them a lot more.
How the heck do the AE2 have the more balanced signature? I figured it'd be more of a V-shape based on what everyone says. Seems fairly smooth, but not all that forgiving of my source files which is nice.
Sound clarity isn't as good as my KRK KNS-6400. Triport AE2 somehow has a fairly good soundstage too. I think in the end they may be just a step under my $99 KRK for sound quality.
I'm surprised how high I need to turn my volume up on my amp.

I think I may do a Triport AE2 vs Creative Aurvana Live review for fun
normal_smile%20.gif

BTW I bought the AE2 because I needed an ultra-light un-amped headphone for weight lifting. Having a ton of weight over your head and having your headphone falling off is not fun.
So far the AE2 sounds like a pretty good $75-$100 headphone. I thought I'd be absolutely disgusted, but they're not that bad.

ljokerl, think you'll have the SRH-440 review up within 2 weeks? I bet it sounds very similar to the KRK KNS-8400.

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #2,178 of 4,593
Jun 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #2,179 of 4,593
Quote:
Keep in mind that Joker actually buys most of these headphones and very generously spends his time reviewing what he can (not to mention his even larger IEM thread). It is not physically possible to review every single headphone out there, nor is he obligated to do so.
Quote:
The D1001 and Creative Aurvana Lives are clones and sound more or less identical, but the D1001 may have slightly better build quality.

Thanks, true on both counts.

Quote:
Quote:
Could you please tell me, is threre any differecne between K81DJ, K518DJ and K518LE?

mostly colour schemes

I think cable length also. My K81 definitely had a 'studio-length' cord.

Quote:
Man I must be deaf. Bought a pair of Creative Aurvana Lives for $60. Ended up not liking them at all so I got a pair of Bose Triport AE2s (got a very good return policy!) and like them a lot more.
How the heck do the AE2 have the more balanced signature? I figured it'd be more of a V-shape based on what everyone says. Seems fairly smooth, but not all that forgiving of my source files which is nice.
Sound clarity isn't as good as my KRK KNS-6400. Triport AE2 somehow has a fairly good soundstage too. I think in the end they may be just a step under my $99 KRK for sound quality.
I'm surprised how high I need to turn my volume up on my amp.

I think I may do a Triport AE2 vs Creative Aurvana Live review for fun
normal_smile%20.gif

BTW I bought the AE2 because I needed an ultra-light un-amped headphone for weight lifting. Having a ton of weight over your head and having your headphone falling off is not fun.
So far the AE2 sounds like a pretty good $75-$100 headphone. I thought I'd be absolutely disgusted, but they're not that bad.

ljokerl, think you'll have the SRH-440 review up within 2 weeks? I bet it sounds very similar to the KRK KNS-8400.

Either the AE2 is around 400% better than the AE1 or you are deaf 
tongue_smile.gif
. My AE1 sounds relatively poor, considering the price. I can see how the average consumer can be fooled into thinking they are hi-fi after trying only apple earbuds but to me they just sound extremely colored and... wrong. The soundstage is amorphous in shape and completely schizophrenic. I swear it makes 'the delicate sound of thunder' seem like it was recorded on a London bus, with all these freaky vertical positioning artifacts and sonic cues coming from random directions. I have to agree that the frequency balance isn't that bad and nothing is really missing but listening to them critically is an adventure all on its own. I used it in comparisons to the UR55, Fischer FA-004, and Senn HD428 and it came last or 2nd to last almost every time... and that's considering I like its signature more than that of the UR55.

Quote:

I don't think I'll have an SRH-440 review up any time in the near future, seeing as how I don't own one. I've been busy with the IEM thread so the portable queue has been gradually building up. Should be switching back to portables next week.

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #2,181 of 4,593

I don't think I'll have an SRH-440 review up any time in the near future, seeing as how I don't own one. I've been busy with the IEM thread so the portable queue has been gradually building up. Should be switching back to portables next week.

Ooops. My mistake. I could have sworn I read a few weeks back that you nearly had a SRH-440 review ready to post. I must be seeing things. Would have been cool, but oh well. They're not all that portable anyway.

I returned the AE2. They're better than I expected and I think the AE2 is more balanced than the old AE1. I had the AE1 years ago and always loved it, but I had nothing really to compare it to and was coming form some Sony Fontopia earbuds! Maybe I'd hate it now. The AE2 seems a tad less clear than the Aurvana, but has a much larger and more accurate soundstage. I think I'll just stick with my KRK, but it's headband sticks out like 2" on each side so it's so terrible for exercise. AE2 in the end sounds like a fairly decent $60-$75 headphone. It seems to get less clear with specific songs that are more complex with a lot going on. If they were really $60 I would have kept them.

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #2,182 of 4,593

Quote:
Wow i got the m31 today and it had like NO BASS at all.... my $20 iem had more bass

You're not wearing them right. See the wiki here. Also, wrong thread.

Quote:
Ooops. My mistake. I could have sworn I read a few weeks back that you nearly had a SRH-440 review ready to post. I must be seeing things. Would have been cool, but oh well. They're not all that portable anyway.  
I returned the AE2. They're better than I expected and I think the AE2 is more balanced than the old AE1. I had the AE1 years ago and always loved it, but I had nothing really to compare it to and was coming form some Sony Fontopia earbuds! Maybe I'd hate it now. The AE2 seems a tad less clear than the Aurvana, but has a much larger and more accurate soundstage. I think I'll just stick with my KRK, but it's headband sticks out like 2" on each side so it's so terrible for exercise. AE2 in the end sounds like a fairly decent $60-$75 headphone. It seems to get less clear with specific songs that are more complex with a lot going on. If they were really $60 I would have kept them.

Accurate soundstage means Bose seriously revised it since the 1st version.

I'm actually liking my HD428 now. Very icky construction but for a big-brand set under $50 can't really expect better sound than this. A bit of bass roll-off but nothing I can't live with.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #2,184 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Could you please tell me, is threre any differecne between K81DJ, K518DJ and K518LE?

mostly colour schemes

I think cable length also. My K81 definitely had a 'studio-length' cord.

Thank you for your responses, but I have found a slightly different opinion.

Quote:
Depends, the 518 and the 81 have slightly different sound signature. If only I still had two performing 518 drivers I could've given you a comparision.

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #2,185 of 4,593

Quote:
How am i supposed to wear them? I just put them in right? These are the iems..

See the fit guide in the wiki I posted. You're not going to get much bass out of them unless you have a deep, airtight seal. Unless they are defective, lack of bass is the #1 symptom of a poor seal. Also, these questions are probably best asked in the one of the M31 threads for the benefit of those who come looking for answers later on.

Quote:

Early on there was someone who confirmed identical drivers with AKG but you can always try calling them up and asking.

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #2,188 of 4,593

Quote:

Just like how there's supposedly a difference between M50s that come in a black box vs those that come in a white box right?

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #2,189 of 4,593
hi i am new to this forum
first of all thanks for the great guide

i live in argentina and a relative of mine is travelling to NY and i wanted to getr some earphones,
i liked panasonic rp-htx7. but i dont know where to get them at that price ( cant use online services cause my relative wont be staying at a hotel but renting a house, so i wont be able to be sure they will get the package if i buy it through amazon)

is there any physical store where i can get this phones at 30 bucks in ny? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back