Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jun 17, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #2,117 of 4,593

I had the same problem with the k44.  Good headphone but bass was really killing the overall sound.  Kicked up the EQ so that the bass was less in front and gave the mids a much less hollow sound.  They are pretty good, expecially when I picked them up at GC for 29. 

You might try the k518 for that weight lifting thing.  I couldn't imagine anything short of an F3 tornado could even start to move them from your head. 
basshead.gif

Quote:

BTW someone mentioned the AKG K44. That's a very good headphone for the price, but not portable really. It's unlistenable to me without EQing the bass down though.
I got mine at Guitar Center 6 months ago when it was on sale for $30. That thing has some good mids. Out of the box the bass is a bit bloated.

Right now my favorite unamped portable is the KRK KNS-6400. I'm still looking for something that doesn't fall off my head when I do the bench press during exercise.
normal_smile%20.gif

Kind of annoying lifting tons of weight over your head and then realizing your headphone is nearly falling onto the floor.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #2,119 of 4,593

Quote:
Intresting. Can you tell us what full-size headphones have you heard and does the HD580/600 count as reasonably-priced? :)

In the full-size world I'd say reasonably-priced is <$500.

I've heard:

AKG K601, K701
Alessandro MS2i
Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000
Beyer 770/250, 880/600
Fischer FA-003
Grado SR325i
Philips HP1000
Senn HD600, HD650
Sony MDR-SA5000, PFR-V1, MDR-V900HD
Ultrasone PRO 650, PRO 2500

Quote:
84! not far away from 100. :)

Think I've got enough sets on hand to hit 100. It's time that's the issue 
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #2,121 of 4,593

Quote:
Joker, Now I have to ask, can the PFR-V1 can be considered portable? I'd love to see it ranked in your shootout.

It fits my criteria with its portable-length cable but it is in no way portable. It leaks worse than a Grado and isolates less, doesn't cope with any headbanging, and requires an amplifier. Also, I feel like a damn teletubby when I'm wearing it.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #2,122 of 4,593
hey, just wondering why you didnt include the jvc ha-rx 700's in the list. you mentioned them during your M-Audio Studiophile Q40 review, but there wasnt a seperate place for them. also the rx-500s, just wondering if you heard them and if so what you thought about them, thanks!

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #2,123 of 4,593

Quote:
It fits my criteria with its portable-length cable but it is in no way portable. It leaks worse than a Grado and isolates less, doesn't cope with any headbanging, and requires an amplifier. Also, I feel like a damn teletubby when I'm wearing it.

Sounds like a summary of faults lol. is the sound any good? Ive seen them going for 120 - 150$
and only review I could read was in headfonia ... and it was confusing.

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #2,124 of 4,593
Hi, I wanted to ask a few questions about a budget clip-on phone that I intend to buy for exercise and portable use. I was thinking of settling for the Sony MDR-Q68 over the Koss KSC75 for several reasons. They are closed, have an analytical sound which I like, and seem to be comfortable and extremely portable with the retractable cable. However, I still am unsure about a few things in comparison with the Koss.

1. Do the KSC75 just utterly outclass this clip-on in SQ no matter how you look at it? I actually think I prefer the sound signature described by the Sony but if it is clearly inferior, I will settle for the Koss.

2. Does the closed nature of the Sony mean significantly less sound leakage than the open Koss? I am not asking for isolation here, just the amount of sound that others can hear.

3. Is the EQ on the iaudio7 and a rockboxed Clip+ sufficient to round out the sound of the Sony?

Thank you ljokerl for your superb thread that has helped me come to this decision. If you or anyone else could help shine light on this subject, I would most greatly appreciate it.

Jun 17, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #2,125 of 4,593

Quote:
hey, just wondering why you didnt include the jvc ha-rx 700's in the list. you mentioned them during your M-Audio Studiophile Q40 review, but there wasnt a seperate place for them. also the rx-500s, just wondering if you heard them and if so what you thought about them, thanks!

The RX700 does not fit my criteria for a portable headphone and has therefore never been included in this thread. I've never heard the RX500.

Quote:
Sounds like a summary of faults lol. is the sound any good? Ive seen them going for 120 - 150$
and only review I could read was in headfonia ... and it was confusing.

Even at $120-150 I don't feel that the SQ stacks up to good full-size phones. You can get a used K601 for that much and it really outclasses the PFR-V1 in every way. It's a fun toy, though, and I like to keep it around. The signature rolls off on either end and is totally unfatiguing. They also don't really present the way headphones do but I'm guessing it would take well-implemented crossfeed for them to sound more like speakers.

Quote:
Hi, I wanted to ask a few questions about a budget clip-on phone that I intend to buy for exercise and portable use. I was thinking of settling for the Sony MDR-Q68 over the Koss KSC75 for several reasons. They are closed, have an analytical sound which I like, and seem to be comfortable and extremely portable with the retractable cable. However, I still am unsure about a few things in comparison with the Koss.

1. Do the KSC75 just utterly outclass this clip-on in SQ no matter how you look at it? I actually think I prefer the sound signature described by the Sony but if it is clearly inferior, I will settle for the Koss.

2. Does the closed nature of the Sony mean significantly less sound leakage than the open Koss? I am not asking for isolation here, just the amount of sound that others can hear.

3. Is the EQ on the iaudio7 and a rockboxed Clip+ sufficient to round out the sound of the Sony?

Thank you ljokerl for your superb thread that has helped me come to this decision. If you or anyone else could help shine light on this subject, I would most greatly appreciate it.

1. No, the Q68 performs well enough to compete with the KSC75

2. Less leakage, yes, but there is still some. Not quite as bad as KSC75 but not great.

3. Rockbox EQ should be sufficient. I don't know how good the EQ on the iAudio7 is.

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #2,127 of 4,593
Hi all!

posted a separate thread on portable cans for my needs but did not get many answers so I'm trying here.

I'm looking for good isolating and portable cans. I'll mostly use them in metro and planes with my iphone. Music styles are rock, electro and jazz. 
I just purchased Etymotic iem (hf3) but I really think iems are not right for me (really uncomfortable!).

In your review I'm interested by the sony MDR-Z700 which I tried in a sony store and would like some help to compare them with ATH SJ55 and Marshall Majors. Again isolation is important to me.

Thanks a lot!

Jun 17, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #2,128 of 4,593
Not sure what your budget is but I own the TMA-1's and I find them comfortable and isolate well.  Built very tough.  Sennheiser hd-25 ii's are one of the best sounding portables I've listened to.  Sennheisers are built well also but has more clamping force then the tma-1's but not uncomfortable.  Good isolation.  They both cost around $200.  That's my 2 cents.  

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #2,129 of 4,593

Quote:
Hi all!

posted a separate thread on portable cans for my needs but did not get many answers so I'm trying here.

I'm looking for good isolating and portable cans. I'll mostly use them in metro and planes with my iphone. Music styles are rock, electro and jazz. 
I just purchased Etymotic iem (hf3) but I really think iems are not right for me (really uncomfortable!).

In your review I'm interested by the sony MDR-Z700 which I tried in a sony store and would like some help to compare them with ATH SJ55 and Marshall Majors. Again isolation is important to me.

Thanks a lot!

I've never heard the SJ55 and I don't have the Marshall yet. Isolation really doesn't get better than HD25-1 with headphones but even that doesn't quite isolate enough for planes IMO. The HF3 is a very deep-fitting IEM and probably isn't ideal for a first-timer. However, if you're willing to give it another shot I'd recommend Shure Olive foam eartips. If you want to try something more comfortable there's always comfort-oriented sets like the Westone 1/2 and Meelec A151. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #2,130 of 4,593
Thanks.

I've never listened to the TMA-1 but seems to be really electro oriented. Not sure it will do well with rock and jazz...

Regarding iems not sure I want to give another shot but you might be right with Meelec a151. I think I could give them a try for 50 euros on Amazon. I would definitely not recommend the hf3 to a first timer.

Last question: you gave a 8.5 for isolation to the MDR z700. How would this compare to the Meelec for metro/plane?

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back