Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Apr 8, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #1,876 of 4,593
Added Pioneer SE-MJ5 & Ultrasone HFI-15G

Quote:
Well I've finally had my Sony MDR ZX700's for about a week now and as a noob I can definately hear the difference.

They have certainly improved after some burning in time as initially they sounded really tigt and harsh with not much bass - however after about 5 hours burning in they have loosened up and opened out to give a really rich warm sound with nice bass and from what I can hear a good deal of separation in the frequencies,

I've been more used to IEM's of late but these full size cans just seem to give off a nicer sound altogether - and they're not so big that you can't wear them out and about too.......

I also seem to like them unamped better too (I only have a Fiio E7 right enough).

Joker - you were right about burning them in and noticing a difference from the portapros too....

My ears like them muchly!

I recommend them to anyone - but still not many reviews of them out there.

Thanks for the update! Glad you like them. 

Quote:
I find myself in the category of the "unimpressed". The mids and highs were alright, but I found myself pushing them beyond their intended design in the bass area. Really nice for Electronic / DJ barring the lacking bass. They made the intro of Red Heat by Tosca sound pretty seizure inducing. I fear I will have to give up and go with some m50's or K181's. I didn't quite want to go that large, but I'm tired of searching.

My last hope was the RocNation Aviator or Klipsch Image One. I tried them both at BB today and found the Aviator to be pretty bass light. I had to pump up the bass far too much on my EQ to get anything out of them. The Klipsch wasn't a bad setup, but the mid's sounded really tinny. Very uninspiring. I'm back to my PortaPro's for rock and Turbines for most everything else...until I can snag the m50 or K181. (haven't decided on which)

I have the Image One here and I really don't see what all the fuss is about. For a bass-heavy consumer can it has nothing on the MS400. It's only got around 40 hours on it but unless it tightens up and clears up significantly, I'd say paying over $100 for it is a mistake. Oh and K181 blows the M50 away if bass impact is what you're after.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #1,877 of 4,593
That is interesting to hear. I was also considering the Image Ones at one point. At this point I still feel a bit lost and frustrated trying to find the right set of headphones. I think I will end up going with the Phiaton MS 300. They seem to fit all my requirements and got good reviews. I just really hope I do not break that cord! wish it were detachable...

Quote:
I find myself in the category of the "unimpressed". The mids and highs were alright, but I found myself pushing them beyond their intended design in the bass area. Really nice for Electronic / DJ barring the lacking bass. They made the intro of Red Heat by Tosca sound pretty seizure inducing. I fear I will have to give up and go with some m50's or K181's. I didn't quite want to go that large, but I'm tired of searching.

My last hope was the RocNation Aviator or Klipsch Image One. I tried them both at BB today and found the Aviator to be pretty bass light. I had to pump up the bass far too much on my EQ to get anything out of them. The Klipsch wasn't a bad setup, but the mid's sounded really tinny. Very uninspiring. I'm back to my PortaPro's for rock and Turbines for most everything else...until I can snag the m50 or K181. (haven't decided on which)

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #1,879 of 4,593
I'm thinking of buying the Sony MDR ZX700 headphones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/dp/B004P150LY

Problem is they don't seem to be on sale anywhere else in the UK (Sony still have them on pre order and have them for about £110).

Do you think I should just go for them from the above link, or do they risk being fakes? Another thing, I've never heard of 'British Bargains', has anyone on here?

Finally, the ZX500s are £38 on Amazon from the same seller; are the 700s worth the extra money, as well as the same questions above?

Thanks in advance...

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #1,880 of 4,593
They probably are not fakes.  Fake headphones tend to be popular headphones like the lower priced Sennheisers.

There is the Shure 750 DJs that is been on sale at HMV Online for £60.  They usually go for £90+ and prices seem to have come down recently.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #1,882 of 4,593
They probably are not fakes.  Fake headphones tend to be popular headphones like the lower priced Sennheisers.

There is the Shure 750 DJs that is been on sale at HMV Online for £60.  They usually go for £90+ and prices seem to have come down recently.

Cheers, could they be US/Asian imports? Just hesitating what with them being new and a seller I haven't heard of.

I don't want to get them and find a warrant is out for them. :D

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #1,883 of 4,593

Quote:
Are the denon DN-HP500 good headphones?

Search for Seidhepriest's HP500 review out in the forum.

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying the Sony MDR ZX700 headphones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/dp/B004P150LY

Problem is they don't seem to be on sale anywhere else in the UK (Sony still have them on pre order and have them for about £110).

Do you think I should just go for them from the above link, or do they risk being fakes? Another thing, I've never heard of 'British Bargains', has anyone on here?

Finally, the ZX500s are £38 on Amazon from the same seller; are the 700s worth the extra money, as well as the same questions above?

I don't think you'll find fake ZX700 at this point. No idea what the 500s sound like.

Quote:
Cheers, could they be US/Asian imports? Just hesitating what with them being new and a seller I haven't heard of.

I don't want to get them and find a warrant is out for them.
biggrin.gif

Superlux is a very well-known brand in Asia. The 668B is one impressive piece of equipment, though not exactly portable.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #1,888 of 4,593
If just judging on weight and comfort, the Superlux is portable.  It is extremely light and really comfortable.  But in terms of looks, it is massive and makes you look are a tank commander.  I prefer to wear my Ultrasone out which is heavier but don't look as big.

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #1,889 of 4,593

Quote:
so you already tried them. but by this comment i asume they dont qualify for this shotout?

I like mine better than my AKG K240 for sure.

Well they do fit the detachable cable criteria so I really don't have a choice in the matter :p. I only got them last week and am liking them lots so far.

Apr 12, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #1,890 of 4,593
Hi Joker;

Did you try any Superlux? 662, 662B, 662F, 668 or any?
Some bros here compare this USD50 can to Denon D1100 and superlux win in many areas.

I am moving up from AKG518, before thinking about M750, d510, d1100 and now Superlux.

I bought eterna (2 nos, 1 as gift to other) by your advice. 1st time buying gear without listening, but super happy about that.
So i really want to hear your comment about the Superlux.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back