Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Feb 9, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #1,576 of 4,593
So, I might have missed it, but did anyone get all the headphones correct?  when do the reviews start rolling out?  Looking forward to some good reads. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #1,577 of 4,593
In answering that particular question I was referring to this thread specifically and not the IEM thread. I do get a good number of entry-level IEMs for review (or I'd still be hovering around the ~100 mark). For Meelec specifically,  I did buy all of the early Mee products myself (SX31 all the way through the original M11), which until recently were the ones I liked best anyway (well, my old M9 and M6 were...). I think the M11+ was the first one they offered to send me. The current Mee IEM lineup I probably wouldn't have bothered with but Mee is located here in SoCal and they let me borrow a lot of the pre-production models for trial/review quite early on. Some of them I got to keep (ones with botched logos, experimental paintjobs, etc) , some of them they replaced later with production ones for photos, etc. According to them I have the only white+gold M21 in existence, for example. So no, I did not pay for the more recent Mee products, for which I am very thankful (not that the HT-21 costs a whole lot next to the P5 or Crossfade LP) but I am always upfront with manufacturers about posting only my own (honest) impressions of how something sounds. 

Besides, this is head-fi and we have the audio police (Pianist, etc)  who will tell me exactly what I should or should not be hearing 
tongue.gif
Haha, it's nice to know that you're not going completely broke over the great reviews you're giving us.

In terms of audio police, I think it's a bit silly to tell others what they "should" be hearing, since all of us hear differently and have different sound preferences. You're more of a treble lover and I prefer a more balanced and warm signature, it's just a difference in preference, it doesn't make the headphones itself any better or worse.

I think owning the items on your review list is really helpful though, I find myself compare my experience with yours and try to understand different hi-fi concept a lot better, so thanks again!

I'm a bit of a late mover, so I don't really buy any gear while they're still in the FOTM status, but if you're ever interested in any of my gear, I wouldn't mind to send them to you for a listen. It would save you some pennies and help me understand my gears more. :D

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #1,578 of 4,593
Quote:
Besides, this is head-fi and we have the audio police (Pianist, etc)  who will tell me exactly what I should or should not be hearing 
tongue.gif

cool.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #1,579 of 4,593

Quote:
So, I might have missed it, but did anyone get all the headphones correct?  when do the reviews start rolling out?  Looking forward to some good reads. 
biggrin.gif

Yes, Hayang got it right. The 'mystery headphone' was the HD428 which is apparently mislabeled on amazon and Sennheiser's site, which is why many excluded it from their guesses.

The full list is: Sony MDR-V6 & MDR-ZX700, Sennheiser HD428 & PX100-II, Audio-Technica FC700 & SQ5, Ultrasone HFI-15G & PRO 650, Pioneer SE-MJ5, AKG Q460, and Philips 'The Stretch'.

However there are already three sets on my radar that are not on the list :p.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #1,580 of 4,593
You should review ESW10 joker. Very impressive sound IMO. lol But I am not even sure you can buy them anymore. They are so rare.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #1,581 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Yes, Hayang got it right. The 'mystery headphone' was the HD428 which is apparently mislabeled on amazon and Sennheiser's site, which is why many excluded it from their guesses.

The full list is: Sony MDR-V6 & MDR-ZX700, Sennheiser HD428 & PX100-II, Audio-Technica FC700 & SQ5, Ultrasone HFI-15G & PRO 650, Pioneer SE-MJ5, AKG Q460, and Philips 'The Stretch'.

Ooh, random question. How does the ZX700 sound?

And congrats to Hayang!

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #1,583 of 4,593

Quote:

Somewhere between good and very good. Reminds me of the V6 without the lower treble emphasis and with quicker bass. 

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #1,584 of 4,593

Quote:

And congrats to Hayang!

Awesome.  Way to go Hayang.
Looking forward to reading the reviews.  Which one's coming first?

Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #1,585 of 4,593

Quote:
Awesome.  Way to go Hayang. Looking forward to reading the reviews.  Which one's coming first?

Well a couple are already finished but the posting order is as of yet undetermined. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #1,586 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:
Awesome.  Way to go Hayang. Looking forward to reading the reviews.  Which one's coming first?

Well a couple are already finished but the posting order is as of yet undetermined. 

May as well post em if you got em? Might I suggest a changelog where you document the dates you've added reviews? Sometimes I'll miss a couple of your additions and won't know what you've added. A changelog would help remedy that.

EDIT: well it looks like you're already doing that. I hope you're not removing dates, though - I know you reviewed the M50 not too long ago but there is no date. Did you recently start or something?

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #1,587 of 4,593

Quote:
May as well post em if you got em? Might I suggest a changelog where you document the dates you've added reviews? Sometimes I'll miss a couple of your additions and won't know what you've added. A changelog would help remedy that.  
EDIT: well it looks like you're already doing that. I hope you're not removing dates, though - I know you reviewed the M50 not too long ago but there is no date. Did you recently start or something?

Actually I do remove them after a month or so - otherwise the index gets very crowded. I always add new sets to the bottom of the list (in each price tier, that is) and the latest ones are usually boldfaced.

As for putting up more reviews, I don't usually post reviews of headphones I intend to sell for ethical reasons. Therefore, the posting is often held up by the slow chugging along of my sale threads, both for portable headphones and IEMs (since I prefer to only keep 1-2 threads up at a time rather than flooding the FS/T forum).

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #1,588 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:

Somewhere between good and very good. Reminds me of the V6 without the lower treble emphasis and with quicker bass. 

Interesting...I'll be on the lookout for a used pair then. I've always kinda liked the V6 sound.

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #1,589 of 4,593
hey joker...i just saw a new headphones named  "Amp'd Mobile XQS-109 Noise Canceling Headphones" which are about $15 in amazon and had recieved quite a few good reviews...as i cant trust amazon for the reviews...can u review that headphone?
Its cheap, foldable, cord is detachable and looks nice...
would be very thankful if u review it :D thnx

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #1,590 of 4,593

Quote:
hey joker...i just saw a new headphones named  "Amp'd Mobile XQS-109 Noise Canceling Headphones" which are about $15 in amazon and had recieved quite a few good reviews...as i cant trust amazon for the reviews...can u review that headphone?
Its cheap, foldable, cord is detachable and looks nice...
would be very thankful if u review it :D thnx

Dude, if it costs $15 just buy it. If it rocks your world then ask ljokerl to review it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back