Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Feb 4, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #1,382 of 4,593
Here goes nothing:

Sony: ZX700, Z1000
Sennheiser: PX90, PX100-II
Audio Technica: BB500, FC700
Ultrasone: DJ1, HFI-15G
Philips: SHE8500
Pioneer: MJ51
AKG: Q460

P.S.: Really enjoyed reading your explanation on Kleer technology in the WR700 review.  Hopefully the technology will stick around for a while and the headphones that utilize it continue to improve in sound, battery life, and affordability (though I have yet to try one).

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #1,383 of 4,593
Quote:
What would the questions be like? Would it still make us guess on a mystery headphones or would it be all logic based like Einstein's question?

I don't think I can make it as bulletproof as Einstein's question so it will probably be 90% logic, 10% guessing.

Quote:
hi ljokerl!

any impressions of HFI-15G coming soon? I'm really curious about Yours feelings about them :wink:

Maybe
ph34r.gif

Quote:
So I guess you will be releasing IEM list ? I'm looking forward to that. Is HF5 on the list ? I'm just curious where it would be placed in your ranking. This guy really needs burn in.

The IEM list  
confused.gif
? You mean the one that's always updated at the bottom of the actual IEM thread? HF3 has been on that list for a while, I'm just waiting for my ACS tips.

Quote:
here's my shot

Sony: V6, ZX700
Sennheiser: HD 202 and 418
Audio Technica: Pro700, M20
Ultrasone: pro750, 15g
Philips: the snug
Pioneer: HDJ-500

Lol. That would be 4/11 with three correct answers shared with previous responders. You didn't do your homework as I for sure know it's possible to get one more correct just by looking at my responses from last night :p.

Quote:
Here goes nothing:

Sony: ZX700, Z1000
Sennheiser: PX90, PX100-II
Audio Technica: BB500, FC700
Philips: SHE8500

P.S.: Really enjoyed reading your explanation on Kleer technology in the WR700 review.  Hopefully the technology will stick around for a while and the headphones that utilize it continue to improve in sound, battery life, and affordability (though I have yet to try one).

5/11, with four correct answers shared with previous responders (three shared w/james). And I think the SHE8500 is an IEM...

And thanks, after taking the time to figure out what makes Kleer special, thought I might as well share. I, too, am looking forward to decent affordable Kleer phones. AKG and Sennheiser wireless portables are just too damn expensive.

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #1,384 of 4,593
My list

Senn PX90, HD 418
SONY MDR V6, MDR XB700
AT FC700, PRO5HS
Ultrasone 15G, DJ1
Philips SWS8000
Pioneer HDJ-1000
AKG 181DJ

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #1,385 of 4,593
pseudo analysis (I haven't really looked at other people's responses)...

Sony: no clue
Senn: probably not the px100ii, but I'm fuzzy on this
AT: no clue
Ultrasone: we've seen mention of the 15G, but I'm not positive on that
Philips: pretty sure I've seen mention of the Stretch
Pioneer: I think it's either the HDJ500 or one of the MJ models (which only narrows it down slightly)
AKG: almost positive it's the Q460

Of course... maybe I'm just trying to throw you slackers off
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #1,386 of 4,593
On my defense, I was on my cellphone, and it hates the forum format so could not read much. :D

2/3 try out!

Sennheiser: PX360, PX100-II
Audio Technica: FC700, Pro700 
Philips: The Stretch

if i get <5 in this one, I'm out.

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #1,387 of 4,593

Quote:

Pioneer: I think it's either the HDJ500 or one of the MJ models (which only narrows it down slightly)

tongue.gif

we should work together on this one
popcorn.gif

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #1,388 of 4,593
Quote:
My list

Senn PX90, HD 418
SONY MDR V6, MDR XB700
AT FC700, PRO5HS
Ultrasone 15G, DJ1
Philips SWS8000
Pioneer HDJ-1000
AKG 181DJ

3/11 with all correct answers having been mentioned before. I said on the previous page that headphones from my fashion vs function thing are not included in this, as are headphones I've reviewed before.

Quote:

tongue.gif

You're on to something on all but one count
tongue.gif
. My suggestion would be to write out the lists chronologically and see what they share based on what I've said. I did that last night and I know it's possible to get three correct answers with 95% certainty but with today's info should be more like 5 or 6.

Quote:

2/3 try out!

Sennheiser: PX360, PX100-II
Audio Technica: FC700, Pro700 
Philips: The Stretch

if i get <5 in this one, I'm out.

This is impressive - 7/11 with all correct answers having been mentioned before.

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #1,390 of 4,593
I just looked at IEM list, I had no idea there is one, thanks for letting me know. My understanding that there is no difference in sound between HF5 and ER 6i. Looks like HF5 is really best value for the dollar with retail at $135. I'm glad that I made right decision. Do you think its worth to upgrade HF5 to AT CK10 ?

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #1,391 of 4,593
Joker, instead of only being able to answer three times, what not make it so that we can only only answer once every 24 hours? Then set a deadline for the whole game. It would prevent people from sniping and it would encourage more people to make attempts.

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #1,392 of 4,593

Quote:
I just looked at IEM list, I had no idea there is one, thanks for letting me know. My understanding that there is no difference in sound between HF5 and ER 6i. Looks like HF5 is really best value for the dollar with retail at $135. I'm glad that I made right decision. Do you think its worth to upgrade HF5 to AT CK10 ?

The Er6i and HF5 definitely sound different. I've heard some people claim that the ER4 and HF5 share drivers but I don't think that's true. 

And yes, the CK10 is an upgrade to the HF5 in my opinion.

Quote:
Joker, instead of only being able to answer three times, what not make it so that we can only only answer once every 24 hours? Then set a deadline for the whole game. It would prevent people from sniping and it would encourage more people to make attempts.

I think that some people would lose interest with a 24 hour time-out. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #1,393 of 4,593
I think that some people would lose interest with a 24 hour time-out. 
It doesn't have to be 24 hours, you can determine the appropriate time interval. The problem that I see with the three guess rules is that I have a feeling that everyone would be very open to answer for the first two guesses, then there will be about 10 people sitting on their last guess.

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #1,394 of 4,593
jokerl, I'm sure others have already asked somethere, but I'm just curious how do you get all these headphones, does anybody sponsor you to do this or you your own money ? Is it sponsored by HeadFi ?

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #1,395 of 4,593
Point taken. Okay: re-iteration of contest rules:
I currently have plans to review eleven headphones. The first person to guess all eleven correctly will receive a token prize. Guesses are now unlimited but there is a 12-hour timeout between consecutive guesses for a single poster. Contest is over one week from yesterday, 02/03, at 9pm PST. Contest limited to accounts with join dates in 01/11 or earlier and more than 10 posts.

Some clues revealed thus far:

-There are two Sony sets, two Sennheisers, two Audio-Technicas, two Ultrasones, a Pioneer, a Philips, and an AKG
-All of the headphones are (to the best of my knowledge) currently in production. No vintage/NOS sets.
-All but one of the sets can be purchased on amazon.com
-Previously-reviewed sets are obviously excluded
-Sets reviewed in my recent Fashion-vs-Function review are excluded
-All headphones follow my usual criteria for what a 'portable' set is, i.e. are at least one of the following
1. Supraaural
2. Flat-folding or collapsible
3. Equipped with a 'portable' cable (<5ft in length & terminated w/ 3.5mm plug)

Quote:
It doesn't have to be 24 hours, you can determine the appropriate time interval. The problem that I see with the three guess rules is that I have a feeling that everyone would be very open to answer for the first two guesses, then there will be about 10 people sitting on their last guess.

Quote:
jokerl, I'm sure others have already asked somethere, but I'm just curious how do you get all these headphones, does anybody sponsor you to do this or you your own money ? Is it sponsored by HeadFi ?

This thread is not sponsored in any way. I am not backed by any manufacturers and I get manufacturer review samples very rarely (maybe 3-5% of the included sets were review samples). It is not officially sanctioned by the Head-Fi administration. In fact, they were not aware of its existence until fairly recently. Most of the headphones are purchased (or acquired in trade) by myself but a chunk is loaned to me by fellow head-fiers for review. I have a revolving fund that is used to acquire new gear so obviously what I am able to buy depends on how easily I can sell off the gear I'm finished reviewing. There's a list of those who helped me out by loaning me headphones in the IEM thread, but the list for this thread is much shorter so I've not yet gotten around to posting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back