Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jan 27, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #1,337 of 4,593
Quote:

as they are not made out of "Plastic" like the other skullcandy products...i think these will be pretty sturdy :D

Alright, we should probably take this conversation to the Rambling Room now but what do you mean "not made out of 'Plastic.?" The guy who wrote the review said they were made out of plastic similar to sunglasses.

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #1,338 of 4,593

Quote:
swbf2cheater said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I use a meier Audio headsix for all my amping needs

I know it wont satisfy my immersion needs, but I cant think of anything that meets most of my requirements that I have not already owned

-short cord
-thin headband
-circumaurial ( or supra but man it better be insanely comfortable )
-decent clarity with good stage in height, width and depth
-$150 budget 

lol

Y'know, you're going to have to list everything that you've owned in your profile or somewhere, after which this will simply become an exercise in trying to name something you haven't tried yet.

As for me, I've gone back to basics and my main portable right now is the ever humble Senn PX100-ii. (it used to be the original, but that was gifted to the gf half a year ago)

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #1,339 of 4,593

Quote:
I did compare the MS400 and ESW9a back to back, but that was a while ago. I find them both to have a roundish stage, with the esw9a being a bit larger in all directions. They also have slightly different resonant characteristics, with the Phiatons giving a heavy oomph with lots of body, and the esw9a giving an airier touch to the sound (one would be tempted to say a woody characteristic to the sound, but that's probably placebo talking).  
If you're looking for that total immersion though, I don't think you'll find it in the esw9a (but you never know until you try again right?
rolleyes.gif
)

Oh wow, couldn't have said it better myself. That's exactly how I feel they compare. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #1,340 of 4,593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Y'know, you're going to have to list everything that you've owned in your profile or somewhere, after which this will simply become an exercise in trying to name something you haven't tried yet.

As for me, I've gone back to basics and my main portable right now is the ever humble Senn PX100-ii. (it used to be the original, but that was gifted to the gf half a year ago)

Are you sure about this?  Well, if you insist, sir, here is a post from an old topic a while back.  All the ones in bold are the updated sets Ive owned since that post.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476328/how-many-sets-of-full-size-headphones-do-you-currently-own/30#post_6458929

Quote:
Quote:

[size=inherit]
Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I vote for swbf2cheater as King of Headphones!
[/size]

t
LMAO, I'm an addict for sure. My quest started about 2 years ago trying o find "my favorite set"...which only last week finally ended with a Grado 225i. Previous to that, my favorite out of ALL that i own are the Sennheiser HD485.
Here is my list, I'll try to get a pic of it all soon. Would require like 10 images, lol. Its actually down to 31 now because i recently sold my ultrasone pro 750 and a few others here on headfi, like 5 or 6 IEMS i think and i only had 4 behind the necks that i can find :p A lot of my stock are very cheap headphones.

Astro 
40 Metal Gear version ( awesome...GREY FOX! lol )

Audio Technica
es7
ATH-AD700
ATH-M20
ATH-M50
ATH-D40
ATH-pro5MS camo ( does this count as on ear? I counted it as full sized, but its still on ear, they dont cover your ears totally )

Behringer
HPS2000
HPX4000

Beyer
DT770
T1

DBI Pro

Sennheiser 
PMX100
PMX200
PX100
MM50IP
CX300
mx460
mx580
mx880
mx980

Sony 
MDRXD100
MDRxd200
MDR-NC60
MDR-XB500 ( newer extra bass model )
MDR-V500DJ
MDR-G75LW
MDr-G45LP
Ex32LP
MDREX36v
XB20EX

Grado 225i
Grado 325i / Woody

Skullcandy

G.I Rasta
Low Riders
Hesh
Blue Inked
Black Inked
smokin' black
Titan
Agent

Phiaton
Ms400

Phillips
HN110
SBCHP1000

Shure

Shure 440
Shure 750DJ
Shure 840

Monster

Monster Beats
Turbine
Turbine Pro

Ultrasone 
Ozma 5
Pro 750
DJ1 Pro

Edit: Oops forgot to mention the wireless. I have no idea what it is, it is not labeled. I got it for 5 bucks at a food store :p It has no markings at all, sounds horrible. Cant find the original box cuz it was sitting in my backroom for god knows how long.

there are others but i cant remember them all off the top of my head lol.  Yes. I am an addict.  And proud of it :)  And Armaegis, I loved my Senn PMX100 and 200.  They were fantastic and immensely under rated sets but were not so comfy to use for more than an hour.  I have never owned the model you mentioned but i could have sworn people said they were similar to the pmx behind the head series.  Also I'd like to say thank you for all the help everyone has given me thus far, means a lot to me to have so many experts around here willing to help me whenever I need it :wink:

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #1,341 of 4,593

Quote:
I use a meier Audio headsix for all my amping needs

I know it wont satisfy my immersion needs, but I cant think of anything that meets most of my requirements that I have not already owned

-short cord
-thin headband
-circumaurial ( or supra but man it better be insanely comfortable )
-decent clarity with good stage in height, width and depth
-$150 budget 

lol

You know, since you have tried so many, it might worth going for the lesser know models, like Denon HP1000 "super" djs . that looks too alike the ATH Pro 700 btw. too similar...

And BTW Joker, i am, at last appreciating the Denon HP700 for what it is, with its own original pads, after some days of using only the ATH M50 only, today i listened to the HP700 for about 3 hours, it was like losing a weight from over my shoulders, everything felt more light, shinny, detailed and transparent(?). i think i was getting sick of the bass and the kick and punch of the M50. and i am yet to try the HP700 with my upcoming mini3 
wink.gif
. Thanks.

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #1,342 of 4,593
hey james!  :p

I have eyed the HP700 and hp1000 as you know hehe, my problem with the hp1000 is they are REALLY heavy, too heavy to use for extended periods of time, and I am still looking into that HP700 :)  However, after many hours of meditation I have come to the conclusion that the Denon D2000 is the set for me.  I will hold out until I can find a recabled d2k or find more information on trimming the cable to fit my needs

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #1,343 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:

as they are not made out of "Plastic" like the other skullcandy products...i think these will be pretty sturdy :D

Alright, we should probably take this conversation to the Rambling Room now but what do you mean "not made out of 'Plastic.?" The guy who wrote the review said they were made out of plastic similar to sunglasses.

sorry my bad..i didnt complete the sentence...i meant that these dont have the usual flimsy plastic "Headbands" as the other skullcandies... they are like the aviator sunnys...

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #1,344 of 4,593

Quote:
And BTW Joker, i am, at last appreciating the Denon HP700 for what it is, with its own original pads, after some days of using only the ATH M50 only, today i listened to the HP700 for about 3 hours, it was like losing a weight from over my shoulders, everything felt more light, shinny, detailed and transparent(?). i think i was getting sick of the bass and the kick and punch of the M50. and i am yet to try the HP700 with my upcoming mini3 
wink.gif
. Thanks.

Ah, now you see why I prefer the DN-HP700 to the M50. If I didn't own the easier-to-drive PRO650 there's no way I'd have sold the Denons
wink.gif

Quote:
hey james!  :p

I have eyed the HP700 and hp1000 as you know hehe, my problem with the hp1000 is they are REALLY heavy, too heavy to use for extended periods of time, and I am still looking into that HP700 :)  However, after many hours of meditation I have come to the conclusion that the Denon D2000 is the set for me.  I will hold out until I can find a recabled d2k or find more information on trimming the cable to fit my needs

The HP700 isn't particularly compact either and will never be driven to its full potential with a portable player. I really wish more of these DJ cans had replaceable variable-length cables a-la Numark PHX - would make life on the go that much simpler.

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #1,345 of 4,593
Hello joker! i just got my philips shp5400 ( they are bigger that i thought
L3000.gif
). Can you please comment on my thoughts?
redface.gif

First of all i like the fact that i can really understand almost every aspect of your impressions. The comfort is good but in time are getting a bit tiring, IMO  ksc75 are more comfortable but shp5400 are more comfy. Its my first time using full size headphones and i noticed that my ears get a bit warm. I also like the semi closed factor that isolates some sound but not all.
About the sound: I found it very good in all aspects. The only problem is that i think they are a bit distant when i compare them with my ksc75.
The koss seems more forward and bright but it was a happy thing to see that this fact doesnt mean that philips are not very good in highs. In fact they are more clean and natural. I was tricked by the more distant sound but i was happy to see that when the vocals get their part in the song they are present and bright. I believe soundstage is a bit tighter than ksc 75(?), but sometimes deeper.
I surely prefer them over my ksc75 but i was imagine them a bit different. Maybe their sound needs to grow on me.
Last i too noticed that they are very power demanding. Full volume is ok with my computer and fortunately my cowon j3 drives them very good and actually i think my cowon can handle them better than my PC which is kind of weird.
eek.gif

P.S how can i experience their fast speed you talked about?

Here is a pic!

Jan 28, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #1,346 of 4,593
Try a fast or busy track with the KSC75 and watch them get muddy. Then do the same with the SHP5400. I usually use something I'm very familiar with such as 'come to daddy' by aphex twin, which has parts that the KSC75 simply can't handle.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #1,347 of 4,593

Quote:

Quote:
wink.gif
. Thanks.

Ah, now you see why I prefer the DN-HP700 to the M50. If I didn't own the easier-to-drive PRO650 there's no way I'd have sold the Denons
wink.gif

I'm kind of scared at how the S-logic might be. wouldnt buy one before trying it.

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #1,349 of 4,593
For those who are subscribed to this thread, there's four fresh reviews in my Fashion vs. Function shootout. I'll add them to this thread eventually but it takes some time so probably not for a few weeks.

Quote:
I know they aren't easy to acquire sometimes, but do you have any plans for a review of the ATH-ES10?

No plans at this time - they are out of my price range, availability is too low, and there's plenty of impressions of them out there.

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #1,350 of 4,593
Hey ljokerl, there seems to be a pretty big support base for the Shure SRH 840s and the 750 DJs, and I was wondering how they stack up against the other cans here... They're pretty popular, so are there any plans to review them any time soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back