Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Nov 15, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #946 of 4,593
Hey this thread is getting expensive for a lor of people actually 
L3000.gif

I just wish there were a place here where i could try them before buy.

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #947 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:
one of the most useful threads there!

be sure to try Ultrasone HFI-15G if You have the opportunity - they're open and dont isolate much, but sound very nice to my ears.

Funny you should mention the 15G - just picked one up this morning - been meaning to try them out for a while. This review thread is turning out to be very expensive for me
frown.gif

nice 
biggrin.gif
 can't wait for your review 

Quote:
Hey this thread is getting expensive for a lor of people actually 
L3000.gif

I just wish there were a place here where i could try them before buy.

X2!! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #949 of 4,593

Quote:
I know Joker has answered this but I wanted to get other opinions.

How portable are M50s? Does anyone use it regularly to commute? I'm thinking about getting them but they seem a little big for portable use. Is there another pair of headphones comparable to M50s but more affordable/portable? Im not an audiophile oranything. I've been using Sony ex56lp IEMs for years(terrible durability - new pair every 6 months). Any suggestions that are more durable and better sounding set than those would be helpful.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #950 of 4,593

Quote:
Joker, how much did you spend for both review threads?
eek.gif

You did like 10 reviews in the past month, and most of the headphones are pretty high end, it can't be good for the wallet.

A lot. If I total up the steet price of the earphones in the IEM thread it comes out to just under $10k. Luckily about 1/3 of that thread is based on earphones people were generous enough to loan me, about 10% is based on (free) review samples, and I got pretty good deals on most of the rest. The Portable thread in its current state totals to just over $3000 though I haven't really had the luck of borrowing very many portables for review (big thanks to those who let me hear the PHX Pro, DJ100, and ESW9A). Of course these aren't one-time investments as I keep circulating the same funds as long as people keep buying the used sets I sell off post-review. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #951 of 4,593

Quote:
A lot. If I total up the steet price of the earphones in the IEM thread it comes out to just under $10k. Luckily about 1/3 of that thread is based on earphones people were generous enough to loan me, about 10% is based on (free) review samples, and I got pretty good deals on most of the rest. The Portable thread in its current state totals to just over $3000 though I haven't really had the luck of borrowing very many portables for review (big thanks to those who let me hear the PHX Pro, DJ100, and ESW9A). Of course these aren't one-time investments as I keep circulating the same funds as long as people keep buying the used sets I sell off post-review. 

Oh Snap! $10k Thats all I gotta say <333

Nov 16, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #952 of 4,593
Could you indicate which Headphones need an amp? I want portable headphones, and am willing to spend about 150 bucks, but do not want to use a headphone amp :p Would reeeeeaaaaaaaally appreciate it :p!

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #953 of 4,593
If you read carefuly the review for the sets you want, you'll find that in some amping is referred to and in some not. That means you have a way to know whether amping is need or not

Quote:
Could you indicate which Headphones need an amp? I want portable headphones, and am willing to spend about 150 bucks, but do not want to use a headphone amp :p Would reeeeeaaaaaaaally appreciate it :p!

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #954 of 4,593

Quote:

What, with all of them? Can't you at least narrow it down?

Quote:
If you read carefuly the review for the sets you want, you'll find that in some amping is referred to and in some not. That means you have a way to know whether amping is need or not

+1. If I didn't mention amping for a particular set that means the differences I heard between amped and unamped weren't worth the time it would take me to write a couple of sentences describing them.

Nov 16, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #955 of 4,593
joker, have you listened to the Denon AH-D2000 before? I'm looking to find a portable headphone that has a similar sound signature. Speaking specifically in those headphones that fall into Tier A. Your comparison has been massively helpful in aiding my search. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #956 of 4,593

Quote:
joker, have you listened to the Denon AH-D2000 before? I'm looking to find a portable headphone that has a similar sound signature. Speaking specifically in those headphones that fall into Tier A. Your comparison has been massively helpful in aiding my search. 

No, never heard the D2000. You may want to look into the Creative Aurvana Live though as it's a rebranded Denon D1001k, or at least uses the same Foster drivers. You're probably a better judge of whether that's the signature you're after. If those aren't portable enough the MS400 should be of interest for a sound that's not too different in a much smaller package.

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #957 of 4,593
My experience with the D2000 is limited, but I think the MS300 may be closer in sound. It isn't quite as pronounced in the bass as the MS400, but a bit more neutral throughout which I recall is closer to what the D2000 is like. Plus the 300 is much more portable than the MS400.

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #959 of 4,593
Just as an FYI in Overstock.com today is a sale on Phiaton PS 500 for ($174 USD) and the PS 320 ($129 USD) Primal Series; today they can shipped for $1 for both or seperately. Maybe and interesting alternative to the MS 300 and MS 400. FWIR the Prrimal PS 320 may be the sweet spot for the entire Phiaton Series of Headphones.

Another FYI if there was anyone considering purchasing a Philips SHP5401/00 set of headphones in the U.S. and was not able to do so-they can be purchased on Amazon.uk.com and shipped to the U.S., placed on order today and after exchange rate and shipping to U.S. it comes out to approximately $44 USD. I probably paid a premium but what the Hell!!!! Should be delivered in 10-15 days.

It still amazes me that Philips and JVC can make such great sounding inexpensive headphones (they may not be the best build quality but amazing sounding nonetheless), the JVC RX700 and Philips HP-910 are two of my favorite SQ headphones even they don't sound very similar to each other. Happy Listening.
beyersmile.png

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #960 of 4,593

Quote:
Just as an FYI in Overstock.com today is a sale on Phiaton PS 500 for ($174 USD) and the PS 320 ($129 USD) Primal Series; today they can shipped for $1 for both or seperately. Maybe and interesting alternative to the MS 300 and MS 400. FWIR the Prrimal PS 320 may be the sweet spot for the entire Phiaton Series of Headphones.

Another FYI if there was anyone considering purchasing a Philips SHP5401/00 set of headphones in the U.S. and was not able to do so-they can be purchased on Amazon.uk.com and shipped to the U.S., placed on order today and after exchange rate and shipping to U.S. it comes out to approximately $44 USD. I probably paid a premium but what the Hell!!!! Should be delivered in 10-15 days.

It still amazes me that Philips and JVC can make such great sounding inexpensive headphones (they may not be the best build quality but amazing sounding nonetheless), the JVC RX700 and Philips HP-910 are two of my favorite SQ headphones even they don't sound very similar to each other. Happy Listening.
beyersmile.png

That's not much more than the SHP5400 cost here back when they were available so a pretty good deal.

Regarding big-name electronics brands like JVC and Philips, it's really a matter of picking apart the crap to get to the real treasures. I've heard some terrible head/earphones from JVC (HA-G55, G101, etc) and Philips (SHL1600, various clip-ons, etc) but I've also heard some magical ones. The HP1000 is simply excellent when paired with the right amp and the SHP8500 is one of my oldest headphones that I've got no intention of selling. One of the revisions of the HA-DX1 is quite brilliant as well - easily one of the best <$100 full-size sets I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back