Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Aug 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #601 of 4,593
Quote:
Very good review. An enjoyable read through. I especially like your impressions of the HTX7s, I've heard some very good things about them but reviews are few and far between. 

Perhaps you may be interested in reviewing Audio-Technica's SQ5s. You can get them on sale for $60 at Audiocubes for the time being. I imagine they're quite similar to the JVC Black Series, but I'm still curious how they compare. 

Thanks. I was surprised by how capable the Panasonics were for a mainstream phone. The JVC HA-S700 certainly gets some undue praise here in comparison to those. 

Audio-Technica makes too many headphones! I'll be hearing the ATH-EM7 pretty soon courtesy of slntdth93 but we'll see what's what afterwards. 

Quote:
Maybe JVC S650.

Is the 650 collapsible? I thought it was just flat folding a-la Senn HD228

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #602 of 4,593

Quote:
You can thanks jant71 for risking his $15 on the Aiwas
tongue.gif
. I wasn't expecting much out of them and was therefore more surprised than he seems to be. At times it seems like we've made huge strides in the past 10 years in this hobby and then something like these Aiwas shows up and it all starts looking like baby steps. 

Audio-Technica clip-ons look great of course but the price tag of the EW9 is doing a great job of keeping me at bay.

Jant71 has always had a good eye for little-known but great-sounding headphones.  After all, wasn't it he who introduced Head-Fi to the Meelectronics earphones?  I wish I had whatever knowledge, foresight, superpowers, luck, and/or wallet that he has!
This one's for you jant71!
beerchug.gif

Anyway, looking forward to the EM7 review.  Many thanks to slntdth93!

Quote:

Yep, which is precisely why I want to try the Crux. There are a couple of hi-fi clip-ons but almost no hi-fi street-styles. The Gemini definitely looks cool as well though if it was my money I'd be tempted to try the AIAIAI Tracks instead for a lightweight minimalistic portable.

There's also Audio-Technica's just-announced ATH-XS7, probably one of the larger headphones of its kind.  Kind of odd that they chose to make the street-style headphone the higher-end version; the ATH-XS5 uses a more traditional design outside of its unique headband.

Of course, I wouldn't call either of these are hi-fi or minimalistic.
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #603 of 4,593
Quote:

There's also Audio-Technica's just-announced ATH-XS7, probably one of the larger headphones of its kind.  Kind of odd that they chose to make the street-style headphone the higher-end version; the ATH-XS5 uses a more traditional design outside of its unique headband.

Of course, I wouldn't call either of these are hi-fi or minimalistic.

Oh wow, the XS7 is really something. But really, Audio-Technica is going through a GM-like proliferative stage. It's quite scary. I get lost navigating Fischer Audio's site but I can't imagine what the JP version of Audio-Technica's site is like. Luckily their US site never gets updated as nothing is ever officially released here.

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #604 of 4,593
Hi

thanks for a great thread jokerl.  Quick question.  I'm after a pair of portables rather than iems atm (got a pair of westone 2's and monster turbines so that should do for now!) for use at work.  Work in a fairly noisy office with machinery, people talking and so on.  There are times when using iems isn't convenient.  Tried a pair of beyerdynamic 235's and px100's and they were useless at isolation.   So I'm looking at either the px200-II's or the AKG K81DJ's as alternatives.  Would either of these be more successful than the previous two?  Or should I be looking more into the active noise cancelling phones?

Cheers.

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #605 of 4,593
I would go with the K81dj. Isolation is probably as good as it gets with <$100 headphones. I don't do ANC so I wouldn't be of much help there.

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #606 of 4,593
Someone lend Joker a pair of Beyer T50s for review
biggrin.gif
(they sound fantastic by the way)

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #607 of 4,593
And yet another one for the list, how about: Audio Technica ATH-FC700 ? There's so little information on these.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #609 of 4,593
Quote:
Someone lend Joker a pair of Beyer T50s for review
biggrin.gif
(they sound fantastic by the way)

Quote:
And yet another one for the list, how about: Audio Technica ATH-FC700 ? There's so little information on these.

Sorry, no plans for either set at this time. I still haven't finished with the Audio-Technica clip-ons...

Quote:
ljokerl, you're killing me man...

Yeah but you seem to be doing a good job convincing people all by yourself
wink.gif
. I got no listening time in this week because I was too busy doing damage control on the IEM thread and then restoring it from backups after huddler mangled my code
angry_face.gif
. I'm enjoying the Maxells and isn't that what's most important
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #612 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:
ljokerl, you're killing me man...

Yeah but you seem to be doing a good job convincing people all by yourself
wink.gif
. I got no listening time in this week because I was too busy doing damage control on the IEM thread and then restoring it from backups after huddler mangled my code
angry_face.gif
. I'm enjoying the Maxells and isn't that what's most important
tongue.gif

Yeah man but I'm tired. So no review from you at all??? Bummer, dude.

I've heard and/or owned a hell of a lot of the phones in your review lineup and if they deserve a review then so do the Maxell's and you know it.

I mean, how could you not review the best bang to buck in headphones since the KSC75???

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #613 of 4,593
Quote:
Are you working on the EW9?  Interesting.  Looking forward to reading your thoughts on that.  Any clues as to what's next up on the list?

EM7 GM. Good clip-ons, definitely seeing the ATH house sound with these.

Quote:
I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of AKG K518DJs. Thanks for the great review. I wonder if there is anything else you suggest that I look at, below 100 dollars for sure.

Depends on what you're after. For isolation, bass, durability the K518 is hard to beat. For comfort and other sound signatures there's stuff like the CAL!/D1001k and Beyer DT235.

Quote:

Yeah man but I'm tired. So no review from you at all??? Bummer, dude.

I've heard and/or owned a hell of a lot of the phones in your review lineup and if they deserve a review then so do the Maxell's and you know it.

I mean, how could you not review the best bang to buck in headphones since the KSC75???

Lol no intention of canceling the review. I'm working on it, it's just taking a long time because I'm getting sidetracked. I was planning to finish it last week but huddler intervened...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back