Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jul 9, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #557 of 4,593
Quote:
Have really peaked my interest in the MS1.  Looks like something I'll need to get in the near future.  Have to admit, this line from your review "Sennheisers made me think of standing among the trusses underneath" made me laugh straight outloud.  I'm still laughing while typing it.  That's such a great way of describing the sound.  Classic.  It's one of your best lines yet. 

Thanks, I enjoyed writing it. I do think you're in danger of picking up every decent headphone I review with the way things are going. Your wallet may not like it when I finally get around to reviewing the five DJ cans that I have sitting around.

Quote:
One thing that I hate most on the In-ear earphones is the feeling of closure. Things seems to sound muddy and so.
So here is my question:
Will I be feeling the same using Closed circumaural headphones like creative aurvana live?
I am asking because I love all my headphones so far, but when I sit at my my home desktop and put my hd600 on, I realize how great they are, but I can't take them everywhere in the house, and I think the biggest differente over my triple.fi 10, is the sense of openness. 
So now, I am a bit affraid of buying full size closed headphones, as I can't try anyone here.

Even the most isolating circumaural portables don't have the same pressurized closed feel as the TF10. The CAL! doesn't really seal perfectly and I think you should be okay with it. I wouldn't expect a true sense of openness with it but it's not offensive in its closed-ness. 

Quote:
Nice review on the MS1! You just keep rolling out with the reviews, don't you? I have a question to ask. Do you think that the sound signature of the MS1 is similar to that of the head direct RE0? I'm trying to find a can that sounds like the amazing RE0 in terms of quality and signature. If the MS1 isn't the RE0s headphone brother, what is?

No, the MS1 is not really and RE0 in headphone form, though they do share some characteristics. The RE0 is definitely less colored and also a bit less intimate. And the MS1 can't quite keep up with the clarity and detail - even my MS2i struggles to compete with better IEMs. The Alessandros do get the tone of certain instruments (e.g. electric guitars) more 'right' than the RE0 but overall they don't try to be monitors.

In clarity and detail the HD25-1 actually gets closer to the RE0 but also strays farther from the RE0 signature with the somewhat metallic treble and voluminous bass impact. And my AKG K601 can beat the RE0 on smoothness but lacks the treble sparkle/detail and of course sounds much wider/airier. There's no headphone I've tried that gets close to all aspects of the RE0 signature. but I haven't owned all that many high-end sets. The MS1 is damn good in its own right but its just not meant to be an analytical listening device.

Quote:
Once again nice reviews joker, I actually wonder about the difference in sound between the XB500 and XB700 with the only real difference in design that I can tell is that the XB700 have vents on them making them semi open.

The XB500 is vented also, though it's still marketed as a closed headphone. I would be curious to try the XB700 just because they're supposed have even bigger pads (how? why?) but I probably won't since they would be even less portable. 

Jul 9, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #558 of 4,593

LOL.  Yep.  You are right.  It's getting a little scary.  I'm looking forward to you not writing a review everyday. 

Had another question regarding these.  There is talk that these are pretty easy to drive.  When comparing them to the SR60i, how easy would you say the MS1 is to drive?  One thing I noticed about my SR60i's is that they are pretty easy to drive, but they really don't shine IMO until they have an amp connected to them.  When I compared my SR60i to my ES7 unamped, I really preferred my ES7.  but when I amped them both, I really prefer the Grado.  In fact, I think the ES7 sounded worse amped than unamped.

That said, if you were to take the SR60i and the MS1 and play it unamped at 40 percent volume, which one is easier to drive?  Or are they too close to call?

Thanks again for the work done on this thread....the wallet does not thank you one bit! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, I enjoyed writing it. I do think you're in danger of picking up every decent headphone I review with the way things are going. Your wallet may not like it when I finally get around to reviewing the five DJ cans that I have sitting around.

Jul 10, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #559 of 4,593
Quote:
Had another question regarding these.  There is talk that these are pretty easy to drive.  When comparing them to the SR60i, how easy would you say the MS1 is to drive?  One thing I noticed about my SR60i's is that they are pretty easy to drive, but they really don't shine IMO until they have an amp connected to them.  When I compared my SR60i to my ES7 unamped, I really preferred my ES7.  but when I amped them both, I really prefer the Grado.  In fact, I think the ES7 sounded worse amped than unamped.

Too close to call. The MS1 is slightly underpowered with my Fuze but it performs fine with decently powerful players like the S:Flo2, AMP3, or Cube C30. Yes, they become a bit more controlled and even-footed with an amp, but it's not a night and day difference. About the same as the SR60i. The SR80 benefits from amping a bit more IMO.

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #561 of 4,593
Quote:
ljokerl,i know its kinda offtopic but how is SQ on Cube C30? Is it worth to buy it?

The SQ is excellent. The C30 is definitely one of the better players I've heard, alongside the Nationite S:Flo2. The internal amp is very powerful - not good for very sensitive IEMs (for example the Denon C710 is too loud at 3/30 volume and too quiet at 2/30) - but works well with portable headphones and more difficult-to-drive in-ears. Dynamics are excellent and the BBE tuning is everything you'd expect. I do have issues with the C30 and reasons for why the Fuze is still my preferred everyday player, but sound is not one of them. 

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #562 of 4,593
Well if you ever decide to sell that dap you have yourself a buyer :)

Just out of curiosity are any of these headphones (namely the MS400) superior or at the same level to any of your higher quality earphones in sound not including the different experiences in an earphone vs a headphone such as soundstage.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #564 of 4,593
Quote:

Just out of curiosity are any of these headphones (namely the MS400) superior or at the same level to any of your higher quality earphones in sound not including the different experiences in an earphone vs a headphone such as soundstage.

Oh and I forgot to mention that my Cube is pink 
wink.gif

As for the headphones vs IEMs, it all depends on how used you are to IEMs. Some people simply cannot stomach them and will say that the PX100 sounds better than the e-Q7 (yes, I've seen that said on here). For me the answer is no - neither the MS400 nor the HD25 can match the top IEMs in overall clarity, detail, resolution, etc. Don't get me wrong, the MS400 provides a very enjoyable listening experience but they aren't something I'd use for critical listening. As for the HD25-1, they are certainly very capable but not perfect in their musical characteristics. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What issues do you have with it? I heard that battery is really bad,is that true?

The battery life is not horrible but it's pretty bad - around 10 hours max, which is about what my 2.5-year-old Sansa clip is getting after hundreds of charge cycles. Battery drains a bit quicker with flac/wma than mp3 but it's pretty poor either way. Not a huge issue for me as I never listen for that many hours straight and always have access to a mini USB cable (a plus for the Cube - no proprietary connections). I do have an issue with the shiny body, which really makes the screen unusable in direct sunlight, and the not-so-logical menu structure (clip is 10 points ahead for this one). Could be just me on that last one. And of course the fact that I do a lot of listening with sensitive IEMs and there is a lack of volume gradations at that level.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #565 of 4,593
Now that you touched on that issue, if I may ask : how does the sound quality marks from IEM compare to the Portable headphones in your lists?
IEM with 8 for sound quality, in terms of general sound quality is the same for a portable with 8 in your threads?

Quote:
Quote:

Oh and I forgot to mention that my Cube is pink 
wink.gif

As for the headphones vs IEMs, it all depends on how used you are to IEMs. Some people simply cannot stomach them and will say that the PX100 sounds better than the e-Q7 (yes, I've seen that said on here). For me the answer is no - neither the MS400 nor the HD25 can match the top IEMs in overall clarity, detail, resolution, etc. Don't get me wrong, the MS400 provides a very enjoyable listening experience but they aren't something I'd use for critical listening. As for the HD25-1, they are certainly very capable but not perfect in their musical characteristics. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What issues do you have with it? I heard that battery is really bad,is that true?

The battery life is not horrible but it's pretty bad - around 10 hours max, which is about what my 2.5-year-old Sansa clip is getting after hundreds of charge cycles. Battery drains a bit quicker with flac/wma than mp3 but it's pretty poor either way. Not a huge issue for me as I never listen for that many hours straight and always have access to a mini USB cable (a plus for the Cube - no proprietary connections). I do have an issue with the shiny body, which really makes the screen unusable in direct sunlight, and the not-so-logical menu structure (clip is 10 points ahead for this one). Could be just me on that last one. And of course the fact that I do a lot of listening with sensitive IEMs and there is a lack of volume gradations at that level.

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #566 of 4,593
That's a shame. I was hoping the MS400 or that HD25 would be around the same level. I don't buy the PX100 sounding better than the e-Q7 however. Maybe one day I'll be home long enough to get myself a headphone rig.

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #567 of 4,593
Quote:
Now that you touched on that issue, if I may ask : how does the sound quality marks from IEM compare to the Portable headphones in your lists?
IEM with 8 for sound quality, in terms of general sound quality is the same for a portable with 8 in your threads?

I think this was asked a dozen pages back or so because I remember mulling over it and the best I could come up with was 'yes', but with a caveat, the caveat being that I am VERY comfortable with in-ear monitors in general and with the way they present sound. The example of someone finding the e-Q7 to be inferior to the PX100 (I could probably pull up that thread) showcases how far personal biases against in-ears and general lack of experience with IEM-specific presentation issues can skew the scales. But if you feel comfortable with in-ears then the answer is yes.

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #570 of 4,593
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/473643/iems-vs-portables

it's in there somewhere. I was wondering about that when that was mentioned earlier here so I did a quick search

Users who are viewing this thread

Back