Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jul 17, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #16 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is your next target??? Yuin G series??

There's several that I'm considering, but I don't much want to buy them new: JVC S700, G2A, PortaPros/KSC-35s, and Panasonic Slimz.

Jul 19, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #17 of 4,593
"Current: Cowon D2 (I have given all the phones listening time on the Cowon to rule out any impact/bias the Sansas/HTA may have had) "

Great comparison and writeup!
Got news for you, the D2 is adding more bias to testing than the Sansa Clip will. This is due to the D2 not having a flat response curve, where the Clip is nearly dead flat.
The D2 has a very well thought out modified response curve that boosts low and high frequencies. Cowon got superior sound by doing this, because it corrects for the normal deficiencies in human hearing.
Not looking to raise the flames here, just pointing out some technical differences.

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #18 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by 14124all /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great comparison and writeup!

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14124all /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got news for you, the D2 is adding more bias to testing than the Sansa Clip will. This is due to the D2 not having a flat response curve, where the Clip is nearly dead flat.
The D2 has a very well thought out modified response curve that boosts low and high frequencies. Cowon got superior sound by doing this, because it corrects for the normal deficiencies in human hearing.
Not looking to raise the flames here, just pointing out some technical differences.

Yes, I notice a sound difference between the Clip and the D2 and still use both for testing. Luckily, crap headphones still sound like crap on both, so I can't make a mistake there. Similarly, good headphones sound good on either. I'm still amazed by how great the clip sounds for the money.

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #20 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by jung /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some other SupraAural Portables:
Koss PortaPro
Grado iGrado
Yamaha RH5MA

Thanks, I'm still preparing to write up the next round. I've had one of the above three on back-order for a few weeks, should be here soon (or... erm... eventually
wink.gif
). Updates to come!

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #21 of 4,593
Thanks for the review...but for the Mogami Cable can you give me the exacte reference off the cable and the 3,5 mini jack please.
I have just found some days ago koss ksc 75 at a fair for 5 euro but need new cable...so help me it will be my first try.....

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #22 of 4,593
The recable was performed by head-fier pdupiano. I don't know which Mogami cable he used, but perhaps he will remember if you ask. The plug is a Switchcraft Gold/Black Plug. There is an excellent video tutorial of recabling KSC75's somewhere on the forums here. If you're unable to find it I probably have a bookmark somewhere...

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #24 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by specialx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa, at first I thought those Soundmagics were the Sony mdr-710 from the pic
confused_face(1).gif

thanks for the writeup!

You're welcome, hope it was useful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathare34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review...but for the Mogami Cable can you give me the exacte reference off the cable and the 3,5 mini jack please.
I have just found some days ago koss ksc 75 at a fair for 5 euro but need new cable...so help me it will be my first try.....

I asked Paul and the cable is Mogami minature starquad from markertek. All credit to him for the excellent recabling job.

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #28 of 4,593
Wow! Professional job!

Great review with lots of details on SQ, comfort and isolation.

One remark (if I may): Based on the variety of the music that you listened, it would be great to know how each portable responds to different music genres.

Thank you so much!

PS: Please keep any updates coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back