Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Feb 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #4,201 of 4,593

IKR...that's why I have 8 headphones:

Panasonic HTF600 - Good
CAL! - AMAZING
JVC HA-S500 - bad, even with mods / EQing.  Not capable of detail.
Marley EM-JH020-MI - Terrible...until you mod / EQ them, to hell.  Then Very Good / Amazing
NVX XPT100 - UNFRIGGINBELIEVABLE
Koss KSC75 - Good for the price
NXG NX-HTDJ - Very Good
Koss KTXPRO1 - Good for the price (better than KSC75, terrible compared to NX-HTDJ)

Nothing compared to Joker though.  :p

EDIT:  The NX-HTDJ are cheaper on Ebay.

Most people love the HA-S500, including me.  They are just as good as Takstar Pro 80/Gemini HSR-1000.  Did you burn them in enough?  The Carbon Nanotubes require serious burn-in because they are very stiff.

Do you like CAL better or XPT100?

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #4,203 of 4,593

Most people love the HA-S500, including me.  They are just as good as Takstar Pro 80/Gemini HSR-1000.  Did you burn them in enough?  The Carbon Nanotubes require serious burn-in because they are very stiff.

Do you like CAL better or XPT100?

I have to say...the NVX XPT100 simply blows the CAL away.  I did a short first-impression on the XPT100s several weeks ago, and I don't think I accurately portrayed the capabilities of these monitoring headphones - yes, these are indeed monitoring headphones, and damn good ones at that (especially at $80).

The XPT100's base IS ever so slightly boosted, but not as much as the CAL's.  Extension-wise, the XPT100 is about equal to the CAL, but the XPT100 not only presents itself with the CAL's depth, but also far better balance and control.

The mids on the XPT100 are fuller and clearer than the slightly V-shaped signature of the CAL.

I have always had difficulty comparing headphones' treble, but the difference between the XPT100 and CAL are literally night and day.  The XPT100's treble makes it evident that the CAL's has a slight grain,as well as some harshness in the upper midrange / lower treble. Right out of the box the XPT100's treble sounded laid-back to me, but I now believe this to be be because I have never heard headphones this neutral and uncolored (all of my past cans had slightly to moderately V-shaped signatures).  I still prefer to give the XPT100's a small treble boost with AIMP3's 18-band EQ (+0.6 DB @ 5.6k and +1.5 DB @ 8k).

Most cans make you choose between comfort and isolation (due to clamping force), but with the XPT100s, you get both, and it's not the "jack of all trades" kind of both.  The isolation is extremely good, especially compared with the CALs.  I am sure you can get headphones with better isolation out there, but I doubt they are this comfortable.  Comfort-wise, the CAL is amazing, but these are better.  They are literally like wearing pillows.  My only complaint would be that after several hours of wearing them continuously, the earpads get ever-so-slightly damp....but I rarely wear them for several hours continuously.

As for portability....lol.  Don't expect to take these monsters anywhere.  They may be light, but you WILL look like Princess Leia while wearing them.  These are definitely for at-home use, or taking on vacations (thanks to their protective storage case).  They also definitely beat the CAL in durability, although there are plenty of cans out there that are more solidly constructed.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #4,204 of 4,593
Got the HTF600 in today, its definitely the most "fun" sounding of the cans I have (HD668B, Stock HD419, and Modded HD419). Although, to me the HTF600 sounds more like the HD419 with extended Treble and less like the HD668B with reduced treble. It's slight but I think the HD668B does highs better (although it's a bit overbearing). On the plus side the lower end is more complete and makes for a more enjoyable listening experience IMO. Also doesn't hurt that it's a lot more comfortable and looks nicer too :)

I was looking at a bunch of frequency response graphs on headphone.com and noticed that the response graphs that fit exactly what I was looking for in a headphone were usually ones that cost 2-3x the price of the Superlux. I guess that's why they are more expensive haha, these lower-priced cans can't do everything right. Gotta sacrifice something somewhere to keep the price tag lower.

(also I think the HD419 would make for a good review; although the treble is recessed it has VERY good build quality for the price and very comfortable.)

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #4,206 of 4,593
  (also I think the HD419 would make for a good review; although the treble is recessed it has VERY good build quality for the price and very comfortable.)

Is that different from the HD428 already reviewed? I quite like that one.

Joker will you test the beyerdynamic cop's?

I tried the COP at CES (see here: http://theheadphonelist.com/ces-2014-headphone-coverage-part-2-audio-technica-stax-beyerdynamic-and-more/). It seemed to be more for fans of bass-heavy sound so I doubt I'll pursue it. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #4,207 of 4,593

Is that different from the HD428 already reviewed? I quite like that one.

Yeah its the entry-level Senns, the successor to the HD418. It's supposed to be a bit more bass-heavy than the 428s but looking at frequency response graphs all the HD4x9 cans seem to share the same driver, but with different tweaks (i'm thinking it's due to the tape they put on the back of the inside of the enclosure)

Honestly I think the HTF600 sounds better but the HD419 is way, way more comfortable (and i think the HTF600 is a comfy headphone)

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #4,208 of 4,593
Thank you to all the contributors here and in the IEM thread, you guys have assembled quite a horde of useful information for indecisive n00bs like me to parse through :D

I had been using the same model of headphones (earbuds) for over a decade - the Sony MDR-ED21LP. It got discontinued and so I've been looking for a replacement. I understood that the 16mm driver seemed to be what made that model so special, but I haven't even been able to find what size drivers are on most of the headphones I've seen in stores. I've tried Sennheiser CX 300 II, but I just cannot get used to them. They sound like a tin can. The Sony MDR-ED12LP "replacement" version of my beloved MDR-ED21LP were awful, AND they hurt my tiny ears. I also tried Sony XBA-1 but the sound on those just isn't as rich. Though the noise isolation is so good it's a bit scary. 

The vast majority of music I listen to are live Pearl Jam concerts. These are official live recordings of a rock band. In addition to the 90s "grunge" music, Pearl Jam, RHCP, NIN, Soundgarden, I also listen to a little bit of "pop" music: Neon Trees, Awolnation, Arcade Fire, Third Eye Blind. Rounding out my tastes would be more mellow sounds like Van Morrison, Billy Joel, Mumford & Sons. I'd love recommendations for earbuds under $100. I came very very close to buying Monster Jamz headphones in a store because of the marketing on the box targeting "live music" but I really didn't want to be stuck with another pair of headphones I don't use (since I've already got 3 I'm not really happy with) so I've come here for some advice. 

Thank you

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #4,209 of 4,593
  Thank you to all the contributors here and in the IEM thread, you guys have assembled quite a horde of useful information for indecisive n00bs like me to parse through :D

I had been using the same model of headphones (earbuds) for over a decade - the Sony MDR-ED21LP. It got discontinued and so I've been looking for a replacement. I understood that the 16mm driver seemed to be what made that model so special, but I haven't even been able to find what size drivers are on most of the headphones I've seen in stores. I've tried Sennheiser CX 300 II, but I just cannot get used to them. They sound like a tin can. The Sony MDR-ED12LP "replacement" version of my beloved MDR-ED21LP were awful, AND they hurt my tiny ears. I also tried Sony XBA-1 but the sound on those just isn't as rich. Though the noise isolation is so good it's a bit scary. 

The vast majority of music I listen to are live Pearl Jam concerts. These are official live recordings of a rock band. In addition to the 90s "grunge" music, Pearl Jam, RHCP, NIN, Soundgarden, I also listen to a little bit of "pop" music: Neon Trees, Awolnation, Arcade Fire, Third Eye Blind. Rounding out my tastes would be more mellow sounds like Van Morrison, Billy Joel, Mumford & Sons. I'd love recommendations for earbuds under $100. I came very very close to buying Monster Jamz headphones in a store because of the marketing on the box targeting "live music" but I really didn't want to be stuck with another pair of headphones I don't use (since I've already got 3 I'm not really happy with) so I've come here for some advice. 

Thank you

Would be nice to have more to go on here but it sounds like you would enjoy a warmer and richer type of sound based on your comments RE: the XBA-1. The Jamz aren't that great. Instead I would consider these:
JVC FXT90 ($95 on amazon) - very good sound quality but with an aggressive sound. Still plenty of bass and with a warm tonal character. Tough to say just how well their sound signature will work for you without trying the ED12LP but I think they're a crowd pleaser as far as IEMs go
Dunu DN-23 Landmine (~$70 on ebay) - these have a very warm and smooth sound. A little heavy but comfortable. Very similar to the Jamz in the way they fit, but built better and way better-sounding. The "safe" choice from a sound standpoint
Phonak Perfect Bass (~$100 on amazon) - these have the worst isolation (still very good compared to a conventional earbud) and most accurate sound of the bunch. They have an over-the-ear fit but very comfortable once you get used to them. They are armature-based so think XBA-1 but with the bass turned up.
Velodyne vPulse (~$90 on amazon) - most deep bass of the four, but pretty good overall and comfortable in fit. Not the greatest sound, especially from an accuracy standpoint, but not bad either.

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #4,210 of 4,593
Hey I am also looking for a pair of headphones that are below the $100 range, I just noticed what you said about the X100, do you think it is also better than the UE6000?

The music I listen to focuses mostly on highs, mids. Not much bass and I don't have an amp. This is the music I listen to, to give you an idea if you wanted to know http://www.last.fm/user/Metaldino

I was also considering Sennheiser 449 as it is in the same price range aswell.

These will be my first real headphones aswell!

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #4,211 of 4,593
  Hey I am also looking for a pair of headphones that are below the $100 range, I just noticed what you said about the X100, do you think it is also better than the UE6000?

The music I listen to focuses mostly on highs, mids. Not much bass and I don't have an amp. This is the music I listen to, to give you an idea if you wanted to know http://www.last.fm/user/Metaldino

I was also considering Sennheiser 449 as it is in the same price range aswell.

These will be my first real headphones aswell!

Look into the Mikros 90 for $79.  There's a big thread about them.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #4,213 of 4,593
Feb 22, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #4,215 of 4,593
Unless I received a SECOND defective pair, those NXG NX-HTDJ I mentioned earlier (rebrand of the Monoprice 108323) are VERY bright.  Almost intolerably so (brightest cans i have ever heard).  Yet again, the bass (which is quite light) is several decibels louder from the left cup than from the right (possibly from a design flaw, but then it should share this flaw with the Monoprice 108323 since they are the same OEM headphone).  I burned them in for ~12 hours with randomly ordered 10-minute periods of white, pink, and brownian noise.

So...can anyone comment on the Monoprice 108323's sound signature relative to what I mentioned above?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back