Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Oct 1, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #751 of 4,593
Wow after doing quiet a bit of googling tonight and this thread the last few days I might actually pick up the DJ100's. . . It's either those or the Creative Aurvana Live's. Their prices are so close it's really hard to pick, I might just buy the Koss cause it's made in the USA haha.

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #752 of 4,593

Quote:
Wow after doing quiet a bit of googling tonight and this thread the last few days I might actually pick up the DJ100's. . . It's either those or the Creative Aurvana Live's. Their prices are so close it's really hard to pick, I might just buy the Koss cause it's made in the USA haha.

I always liked the Creative's. I may end up buying them again just for a cheap portable. I think at the time I had the Shure SRH-840 and it was a favorite so I took the Creative back. Too bad I sold them a month later due to them only balancing on my head pretty much.

I think most Best Buy's in big cities carry Koss stuff. Then if you don't like them you don't have to pay for a return. I hate sending back headphones in the mail. It costs "them" $20 to send a package by next day, but $17 for me to ship it by UPS Ground!

I drove nearly two hours to get my DJ 100. Kind of stupid, but in the end I didn't mind. Hopefully they'll have that $50 sale on them again soon.

UR-55 is also good. A few still seemed to prefer the Porta Pro, but not me. I'm guessing the Creative is far better then the UR-55, but I haven't compared them side by side yet.

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #754 of 4,593

Quote:
I always liked the Creative's. I may end up buying them again just for a cheap portable. I think at the time I had the Shure SRH-840 and it was a favorite so I took the Creative back. Too bad I sold them a month later due to them only balancing on my head pretty much.

I think most Best Buy's in big cities carry Koss stuff. Then if you don't like them you don't have to pay for a return. I hate sending back headphones in the mail. It costs "them" $20 to send a package by next day, but $17 for me to ship it by UPS Ground!

I drove nearly two hours to get my DJ 100. Kind of stupid, but in the end I didn't mind. Hopefully they'll have that $50 sale on them again soon.

UR-55 is also good. A few still seemed to prefer the Porta Pro, but not me. I'm guessing the Creative is far better then the UR-55, but I haven't compared them side by side yet.

I hated the UR55, but mainly due to fit issues which in turn didn't result into good sound.  I to amn pretty picky when it comes to comfort which is why I have a bass reduced EQ(Slightly unless the song calls for it) XB500.

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #755 of 4,593
Quote:
Posted another update on the Maxell DHP-II if anyone gets bored. I just updated my post.

Mid-Bass humps stink!

Thanks, very nice and comprehensive. I agree that the mid-bass boost can be a little distracting on some tracks but it's relatively mild next to something like the Sony XB500 or even the HD238. I think you'll like them for movies once you get used to the presentation. 

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #756 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:
Posted another update on the Maxell DHP-II if anyone gets bored. I just updated my post.

Mid-Bass humps stink!

Thanks, very nice and comprehensive. I agree that the mid-bass boost can be a little distracting on some tracks but it's relatively mild next to something like the Sony XB500 or even the HD238. I think you'll like them for movies once you get used to the presentation. 

Yes there are certain songs were the Mid Bass is so strong on the XB500's that it can make you a little sick form the arrhythmia. I still very much enjoy them just for the same reasons, though they are definnately not morning cans.

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #757 of 4,593
I picked up the ATH-M30 today and I like it a lot. It may be good for people who don't like the amount of bass on the M50 (me) So far it's pretty comfortable and small. Sound quality is good so far, but I'm only 20 minutes into listening to it. It's far more neutral then my Maxell DHP-II and less bass and that mid-bass hump. Obviously the DHP-II i'm keeping, but i'm interested in finding other good cheap headphones. DHP-II sounds a bit better from what I can tell, but both are fun. Somehow I like the bass on the M30 more for some reason. I expected the M30 to sound like the Sony MDR-V6 but I like it a lot more so far.

Koss told me the Pro3aa has a similar sound signature to my Pro DJ 100 so i'm going to try those as well. Like the Maxell's the Pro3aa has a ton of negative comments on Amazon about them breaking.

I also don't get why so many people say neutral sounding headphones are so boring!

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #758 of 4,593
Added two cheap ultraportables - the Philips SHL1600 and Earsquake PIXI

Quote:
I picked up the ATH-M30 today and I like it a lot. It may be good for people who don't like the amount of bass on the M50 (me) So far it's pretty comfortable and small. Sound quality is good so far, but I'm only 20 minutes into listening to it. It's far more neutral then my Maxell DHP-II and less bass and that mid-bass hump. Obviously the DHP-II i'm keeping, but i'm interested in finding other good cheap headphones. DHP-II sounds a bit better from what I can tell, but both are fun. Somehow I like the bass on the M30 more for some reason. I expected the M30 to sound like the Sony MDR-V6 but I like it a lot more so far.

Yep, the M30 is a strangely underrated headphone despite selling for a very reasonable price nowadays. I'm guessing that a balanced and neutral sound is not what many people look for in a budget toss-around set. The build quality is really excellent as well and even though it doesn't fold, it's still more portable than something like the M50 or the larger Ultrasones.

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #759 of 4,593
Still extremely impressed with the Maxell DHP-II. They're incredible. It's funny how there's another person on here raving about them like crazy and I do the same with the Koss Pro DJ 100. In the end they both sound so similar, which makes it kind of strange. Today though that mid-bass hump was driving me crazy again. It kept coming up whenever it shouldn't be there. To me it almost made me like them a lot less and deduct a point. Some people like this though, but I just rather not have it show up at the wrong time.

So today I tried to see what I could do to tame that mid-bass hump on the DHP-II. Yes, it's that annoying to me, I'm weird I guess. I did a bunch of stuff to the insides to see what changes the sound. Not at first just to fix the mid-bass, but just to see what could improve or change. Removing the foam inside the earcup is a bad idea. It kills the bass and the sound quality is degraded and felt a bit more distant. Strangely the mid-bass was still there.

I put back the foam and poked two holes above and below the driver plastic enclosure. It normally has 3 holes on both the bottom and top taped off. All it is is just tape that they use, so no damage is done that can't be repaired.I don't know how this is possible, but all my music now just seemed a lot brighter (not in a good way) and voices had a bit of sibilance. Actually, just where it was in the recording, but it made it much worse and vocals were just not as good and annoying. Again, I'm not sure how two tiny holes could change the signature so much. There HAS to be a reason Maxell covered them at the factory. I don't think it's my imagination, but it could be. Even so, it's still worth experimenting.

I went with one hole on the bottom on each side and it's perfect. The mid-bass issue is reduced quite a bit. It never shows up in my Cantopop and that's all I really wanted. Definitely not my imagination there! The bass though seems to be reduced a bit too, maybe 2-3%, if that. Maybe not. Vocals now are perfect and sound a lot more clear and slightly more forward sounding, but not annoying. They're now much closer to how they sound on the Pro DJ 100.

Basically NOW everything sounds like an exact match to the DJ Pro 100 (more then before). There's still more bass it seems like. If they're really the same driver, the sound differences could be due to the plastic driver housing and the small ear cups and overall design. Like with the SR-80, there seems to be a lot you can do to change the sound signature for some headphones.

I know I could have just done an EQ setting, but the Ipod Touch EQ is worthless and what fun is that? I want them to sound perfect with NO EQ or at FLAT.

After hearing these I still can't believe people are complaining about the cheap build quality. If they broke in 4 months I'd have no problems buying another pair for $35!
I also avoided them forever because of build quality issues. Right now it's worth it I think.

Now to just figure out how to keep the earcups from vibrating!

UPDATE:

With that one hole open method I guess the mid-bass was still a bit too much, but still reduced. I went ahead and tried the two hole method again and it's far better. Originally I thought it added too much vocal sibilance. I think the problem is that opening the two holes adds more detail and makes the vocals sound much more forward that it's easier to spot the sibilance in the recording. The sibilance is actually IN all the songs and is not the headphones fault. I tried the same songs with 3 different pairs of headphones and it's still there. From my KSC75 to the Triple Fi 10. It's really amazing how many tracks have this issue! With poorer quality headphones it's harder to spot.

Today I got in the Koss Pro3AAT (Titanium) headphone. It's basically has almost the same sound as the Maxell DHP-II and Koss Pro DJ 100. So far the sound is a bit different due to the design and actually may have more bass then the Maxell DHP-II! Between all of these, the Pro DJ 100 has less bass, but it more neutral and has a cleaner and clearer sound quality. DHP-II is very, very close. The two holes on each side opened up definitely help out the quality of the mids, however this is possible!

So far the Pro3AAT has a lot of clamp, but it's not bad. The build quality seems to be as bad as the DHP-II if you go by the reviews on Amazon, which isn't a good thing.

I'm also getting in the Pro4aat, so that may be the best out of all of these, but maybe with an improved driver but with similar sound quality. I'm not sure yet. I've seen a ton of good reviews on the Pro4AAT several years ago. I remember seeing a post from someone who ranked them as being better then the AKG 701! Pretty impressive.

BTW I really need to stop buying headphones.

10/14/10

Still experimenting on the Maxell DHP-II. Two holes open brings out the vocals even more and the mids are VERY forward now, almost too much and makes the sound signature kind of fatiguing and also almost too bright. Bass is reduced by a LOT and it felt like it went a bit missing. Once I covered both holes up there was a slight loss of detail, but the bass came back. Two holes open definitely removes the mid-bass hump, and 1 reduces it. One hole poked is the best way to go I think or else the bass reduction is too much. Without any holes open, the mids are just not quite as forward as I want them, but close. One hole makes them sound about the same overall as the Pro DJ 100. I think one reason these fatigue me more (with 2 holes open) is that it makes them much brighter then the Pro DJ 100. The overall sound signature of the PRo DJ 100 is pretty non-fatiguing, but has a lot of detail, but slightly rolled off highs and less bass.

I'm surprised there is such a huge difference in the sound quality just by opening and closing such small holes.

I ended up returning the Pro3AAT due to them having too much bass for me. The clamping force was the worst ever. It actually hurt my EYES!! Pro3AAT is like a DHP-II with a LOT more bass.

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #760 of 4,593
I read the thread sometime back, purchased the HD 25-1 II's then later bought some RE0's noticed that the RE0's sounded more detailed and had better treble,sold the HD 25's.

I miss having a decent headphones while commuting, the IEMs server more at the gym.

But feels like there is nothing portable out there surpassing the HD-25 1 II's what a shame.

I mean the HD 25's are nice, but definitely lack in a few aspects, they don't do much for me.

Oct 2, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #761 of 4,593
^Are the RE0s actually more detailed, or is it simply more apparent detail because they just omit the entire low end? Or at least a realistic portrayal of the lower frequencies.

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #762 of 4,593

Quote:
^Are the RE0s actually more detailed, or is it simply more apparent detail because they just omit the entire low end? Or at least a realistic portrayal of the lower frequencies.

I don't feel you understand what the RE0's are and because of that I can say they are not for you look elsewhere,could start with the Hippo VB's.

There is no low end emmision,feel embarassed to even mention that,know fact .

Oct 2, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #763 of 4,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Today I got in the Koss Pro3AAT (Titanium) headphone. It's basically has almost the same sound as the Maxell DHP-II and Koss Pro DJ 100. So far the sound is a bit different due to the design and actually may have more bass then the Maxell DHP-II! Between all of these, the Pro DJ 100 has less bass, but it more neutral and has a cleaner and clearer sound quality. DHP-II is very, very close. The two holes on each side opened up definitely help out the quality of the mids, however this is possible!

So far the Pro3AAT has a lot of clamp, but it's not bad. The build quality seems to be as bad as the DHP-II if you go by the reviews on Amazon, which isn't a good thing.

I'm also getting in the Pro4aat, so that may be the best out of all of these, but maybe with an improved driver but with similar sound quality. I'm not sure yet. I've seen a ton of good reviews on the Pro4AAT several years ago. I remember seeing a post from someone who ranked them as being better then the AKG 701! Pretty impressive.

Just curious, is the 3AAT as ugly as it looks in photos? Might be just me but I don't dig the industrial look unless the headphone has industrial build quality to match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You and me both...

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #764 of 4,593

Just curious, is the 3AAT as ugly as it looks in photos? Might be just me but I don't dig the industrial look unless the headphone has industrial build quality to match.

Oh yes, definitely. It's all plastic, but still looks fairly durable. Doesn't look as cheap as the UR-40 though. I was laughing at the build quality of that when I took it out of the package. I never did that with a headphone before, but it was only $30. I definitely would not call call the 3AAT a portable since it's too big. It's somewhat comfortable but has a lot of clamping force, not too bad. My head is small and I had to still put them at '6' on each side. Couldn't believe it. I imagine that 3AAT might be a better built version of the DHP-II, but less portable.

Pro4AAT looks like it's made much better, but looks less comfortable. The ear pads look like hard rubber!

I also am thinking of getting the DT-770 32 ohm version. Maybe trying the ES7 just for fun (hated the ESW9a though). After that i'm done for a very, very long time. At least 6 months..I hope.

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #765 of 4,593
Yeah, the pro3aat isn't the prettiest of headphones out there. Though more importantly, the build quality definitely leaves something to be desired. Still, koss's lifetime warranty does help in that respect. Replacing them will cost you only about $12 - $6 as the "processing fee" and another $6 or so for shipping them to koss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back