Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Oct 12, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #4,411 of 4,593
Wow.....what a thread! What an amazing OP! Thank you for the reviews!
If I may make a small comment - and i'm sure this has been suggested before. The "sound" score of the headphones should be weighted more heavily than the other categories, except maybe build quality. 

This would allow for a more accurate ranking of the headphones. The Denon HP-700 and Creative Auvarna Live probably should be higher in the overall standing for sound quality and value. I managed to pickup the CAL at SUD47 during an online sale. What a steal. What value. A touch bass heavy but what an engaging and fun music experience. 

Also, I'm really glad to see the ATH-M50, MDR-V6 and HD-25 high up the list. *high five*

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #4,412 of 4,593
  Wow.....what a thread! What an amazing OP! Thank you for the reviews!
If I may make a small comment - and i'm sure this has been suggested before. The "sound" score of the headphones should be weighted more heavily than the other categories, except maybe build quality. 

This would allow for a more accurate ranking of the headphones. The Denon HP-700 and Creative Auvarna Live probably should be higher in the overall standing for sound quality and value. I managed to pickup the CAL at SUD47 during an online sale. What a steal. What value. A touch bass heavy but what an engaging and fun music experience. 

Also, I'm really glad to see the ATH-M50, MDR-V6 and HD-25 high up the list. *high five*

I agree, which is why the sound score is weighted double all the other categories. The plan for the interactive tables is to (in the future) allow certain columns to excluded from affecting the ranking, at the user's discretion. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #4,414 of 4,593
  This is a really great thread and I do appreciate it so much. But just curious why the shure is not on the list?

No particular reason - just lack of time. There's a lot of stuff not on the list that should be 
redface.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #4,416 of 4,593
  lol, I see, this list is really long and I love the review for each one of them. Btw thanks for the review, this is such a good work :)

Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #4,417 of 4,593
I hope Audio technica and Sony provide you a review unit for two more portable headphones to review.

I'm seriously curious on the new ath-msr7 and the sony mdr-z7. 
evil_smiley.gif

I've read most of the reviews here and was happy to see that you enjoyed the sony zx700, though wondered how the m50 got a higher score, but didn't really mind since I still have yet to hear that headphone.

Hope to read more headphone comparisons. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #4,418 of 4,593
Time is currently more of a limitation than product. I also want to do more Bluetooth stuff as there's a lot of promise with some of the BT headphones I've tried lately. Unfortunately I only have a few free hours per day and some days those are spent entirely answering PMs, comments, emails, etc
redface.gif
. I don't see that changing any time soon so I don't know. Maybe shorter reviews with fewer comparisons are the answer. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #4,419 of 4,593
  Time is currently more of a limitation than product. I also want to do more Bluetooth stuff as there's a lot of promise with some of the BT headphones I've tried lately. Unfortunately I only have a few free hours per day and some days those are spent entirely answering PMs, comments, emails, etc
redface.gif
. I don't see that changing any time soon so I don't know. Maybe shorter reviews with fewer comparisons are the answer. 

Bluetooth would be nice,if someone ask about a bluetooth headphone almost everyone says one of the Senn. models, I would like to see others options.

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #4,420 of 4,593
redface.gif

That makes quite the logical sense.

Bluetooth supported headphones are always awesome if they sound great. I hope you get to try them out. :)

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #4,421 of 4,593
  Bluetooth would be nice,if someone ask about a bluetooth headphone almost everyone says one of the Senn. models, I would like to see others options.

That makes quite the logical sense.

Bluetooth supported headphones are always awesome if they sound great. I hope you get to try them out. :)

Up to about 15 so far. Standouts for me are the Sony SBH80 among in-ears and the meelec Matrix2 among on/over-ears. Planning to put up a brief round-up in the near future. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #4,422 of 4,593
Great thread! Very useful!

I was initially thinking to buy some relatively expensive (€200) headphones, but since I am not going to be using an amp and since these will be my first set of good headphones, I decided to start with something cheaper and upgrade if needed.

What would be some great headphones for under €100? I mostly listen to EDM, but I want some headphones that will be good with other types of music also. I would like something that would be fun and engaging with decent bass, but at the same time clear ... I don't like muffled sounds.

I will be buying from Amazon in Europe (uk, italy, germany etc).

Any suggestions?

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #4,423 of 4,593
Joker, have you tried the MDR10RBT yet? I enjoy the Heck out of it and was pleasantly surprised at how good it BT implementation was, almost as good as using the cable connection.

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #4,424 of 4,593
  Great thread! Very useful!

I was initially thinking to buy some relatively expensive (€200) headphones, but since I am not going to be using an amp and since these will be my first set of good headphones, I decided to start with something cheaper and upgrade if needed.

What would be some great headphones for under €100? I mostly listen to EDM, but I want some headphones that will be good with other types of music also. I would like something that would be fun and engaging with decent bass, but at the same time clear ... I don't like muffled sounds.

I will be buying from Amazon in Europe (uk, italy, germany etc).

Any suggestions?

Things are generally quite a bit more expensive in Europe. The Denon HP700 is €99 on Amazon germany but the shipping charge kills it.

Anyway, for stuff that stays within budget I quite enjoyed the Panasonic HTF600 both with EDM and other genres. The Creative Aurvana Live! is very good too. Both are lightweight over-ear headphones with pretty poor isolation. Not ideal for use in loud environments, but otherwise very good. 

Joker, have you tried the MDR10RBT yet? I enjoy the Heck out of it and was pleasantly surprised at how good it BT implementation was, almost as good as using the cable connection.

I haven't tried those but found the same to be true of the meelec matrix2 bluetooth cans that I mentioned above - they sound very good both wireless and wired. I also have a Sony wireless in-ear (the SBH80) and it's great - the folks at Sony know their way around a Bluetooth headphone. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #4,425 of 4,593
joker , have you heard the amperior ? if yes , can you recommend me an IEM close to its charecteristics !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back