Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
May 11, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #422 of 4,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I found the same thing with mine.  Detailed and precise, just lacking in bass.  But really pretty impressive.  Hopefully the retractable system holds up.  That is one handy feature.

What else are you going to be adding to your reviews when  you're able to add to the post?  Always enjoy reading your reviews.  One of your recent posts on the HD25 1-II has finally made me take the leap.  I hope to be receiving them tomorrow.  Did they require any burn in or are they solid right out of the box?

Agreed on the Q68 cord - it's  so thin that I actively worry about getting it snagged on something when using them around the house. Hopefully it'll hold up because the retractable mechanism is indeed very handy.

The reviews currently planned are as follows (order subject to change):

In Progress
Beyerdynamic DT235
Altec Lansing UHP304
Sony MDR-Q68
Equation Audio RP-15mc
Equation Audio EP3070

Planned
Sennheiser HD238
Denon DN-HP700
Ultrasone HFI450
Yamaha RH10ms
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
and more... 
wink.gif

Regarding the HD25, I think you'll like them right out of the box if you like the Sonys. No specifics about burn in - I've had mine for a long time and I remember liking them straight away. 

Quote:

How well do the JVC Flats isolate? I don't want them to be too isolating because then I can't hear my surroundings. I'm thinking of getting a <$10 on ear headphone that doesn't isolate very well instead of using my Etymotics.

Also, if I just stuck them in my backpack, how do you think they would hold up?

I don't think you need to worry about the isolation of the Flats being too great. When I used them outside I ended up turning the volume up a bit to compensate for intruding noise. Not sure about your backpack, though. If you crammed them between books they probably wouldn't last long, If you put them on top or in a separate compartment, they should hold out fine. 

Quote:
I took the foams from some $1,50 headphones available at PartsExpress. They fit perfectly. Original foams (under the fabric) sealed the front of the driver with some non-breathing material, leaving only the center hole for sound firing. This is what Sony probably calls "bass lens" and this works for bassier sound indeed. So I had to recreate the same sealing under the foams, I used a ring cut of a sticky paper.

Thanks for the description. I think I have those Parts-Express headphones (minus the headband) somewhere still. 

May 11, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #423 of 4,593

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think you need to worry about the isolation of the Flats being too great. When I used them outside I ended up turning the volume up a bit to compensate for intruding noise. Not sure about your backpack, though. If you crammed them between books they probably wouldn't last long, If you put them on top or in a separate compartment, they should hold out fine. 

Cool, thanks. I'm bidding on one for pretty cheap on eBay. I hope I get them.

May 11, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #424 of 4,593
The Philips SHP 5400 is continued as the SHP 5401. You can still buy them online. It is dirt cheap too, about 20 to 25 euros, oh yes...

May 11, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #425 of 4,593

Quote:
Thanks for the description. I think I have those Parts-Express headphones (minus the headband) somewhere still. 

Unless you had another pair, I believe the foam from the PE headphones went onto a pair of Flats and is now elsewhere in the Head-fi universe
smile.gif

Will you review these...http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666169321#additionalImage1%22 ?

May 11, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #426 of 4,593
Quote:
The Philips SHP 5400 is continued as the SHP 5401. You can still buy them online. It is dirt cheap too, about 20 to 25 euros, oh yes...

This was mentioned a few pages back. I'm aware that they are still sold in Europe and Asia, just not the US, which is a shame.

Quote:

Unless you had another pair, I believe the foam from the PE headphones went onto a pair of Flats and is now elsewhere in the Head-fi universe
smile.gif

Will you review these...http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666169321#additionalImage1%22 ?

The PE phones come with a spare set of pads, which I should still have 
wink.gif

The Sonys look nice - sort of like a WeSc-HA-M750 hybrid. Clearly imports but hopefully other retailers will pick them up. Not very pleased with paying SonyStyle prices for anything. Actually the whole PIIQ line looks like Skullcandy-esque imports. Especially the eye-popping IEMs with the earlobe clips:

May 11, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #427 of 4,593

Quote:
Quote:

This was mentioned a few pages back. I'm aware that they are still sold in Europe and Asia, just not the US, which is a shame.

Quote:

smile.gif

The PE phones come with a spare set of pads, which I should still have 
wink.gif

The Sonys look nice - sort of like a WeSc-HA-M750 hybrid. Clearly imports but hopefully other retailers will pick them up. Not very pleased with paying SonyStyle prices for anything. Actually the whole PIIQ line looks like Skullcandy-esque imports. Especially the eye-popping IEMs with the earlobe clips:

Wow ... that looks real colorful.

May 12, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #428 of 4,593
I'm planning to order a pair of akg k518, but I have a question what is the length of the headband? I can't find anywhere information about dimensions of these cans. I think I have regular head, but I'm afraid that k518 will have to short headband. If anyone can help I'll be grateful. :D

May 12, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #429 of 4,593
Quote:
I'm planning to order a pair of akg k518, but I have a question what is the length of the headband? I can't find anywhere information about dimensions of these cans. I think I have regular head, but I'm afraid that k518 will have to short headband. If anyone can help I'll be grateful. :D

I don't think headband length is a published specification on any of the headphones I've encountered. To be fair I haven't seen a whole lot of complaints about the headband being too short on the AKGs so chances are it's just long enough for the average noggin. But perhaps someone who still has a K81/K518 and a tape measure can oblige with a number.

May 15, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #431 of 4,593
Well, I was able to get my HD25-1 II this week just before I took a trip up north.  I must say, I was thoroughly impressed.  I got a lot of listening time on planes.  6 flights there and back.  =(  These little beasts do a really good job blocking sound.  I was thinking initially how I would compare them to a similar can like the ES7.  While I find the ES7 much easier to drive and an all around funner headphone, I like the HD25 probably more, because across the spectrum they seem to do everything really well.  Especially vocals.  I didn't really notice the ES7 vocals are not nearly as realistic sounding until I put the Senns on.  When paired up with an amp, the sound is quite clear....good solid low end.  Just a bit laid back which is common for Senns. 

Oh and they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more comfortable than the ES7.  Only tried the pleather pads so far as I got these the day before I took off.  So now that I"M back home, I will try some different things. 

May 15, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #432 of 4,593

Quote:
Well, I was able to get my HD25-1 II this week just before I took a trip up north.  I must say, I was thoroughly impressed.  I got a lot of listening time on planes.  6 flights there and back.  =(  These little beasts do a really good job blocking sound.  I was thinking initially how I would compare them to a similar can like the ES7.  While I find the ES7 much easier to drive and an all around funner headphone, I like the HD25 probably more, because across the spectrum they seem to do everything really well.  Especially vocals.  I didn't really notice the ES7 vocals are not nearly as realistic sounding until I put the Senns on.  When paired up with an amp, the sound is quite clear....good solid low end.  Just a bit laid back which is common for Senns. 

Oh and they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more comfortable than the ES7.  Only tried the pleather pads so far as I got these the day before I took off.  So now that I"M back home, I will try some different things. 

Congratulations on your purchase, the HD 25-1 II's block more outside noise then my RE0s,I miss them sometimes,my first pair
redface.gif

May 16, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #433 of 4,593
Quote:

Hah, definitely agree with that. The ES7 were painful after just a few hours for me.

Glad you're generally liking the phones - the HD25-1 may not be perfect sonically but I have yet to find anything else with as much utility.

May 16, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #434 of 4,593

Quote:

Thank you for that! I almost bought the shp5400 for 260NIS (70$) and then saw your comment, for some reason the SHP5401 sells for 200NIS (55$). So thanks, you just saved me 15$!
55$ is an awesome price since the ksc75 sells here for about as much...

May 16, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #435 of 4,593
Joker, or anyone with HD-25 disassembling experience... Can you tell what's the secret to the HD-25-1 isolation? E. g. materials?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back