Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Sep 8, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #2,357 of 4,593

Quote:

They have a very Sennheiser-esque sound sig, which works for me, because I got used to it with my Senn iems. So I enjoy them. I A-B'ed them between Roma's HD25-1 IIs, and I have to say that I sorta enjoy them better than the HD25. That could be because I'm used to the laid back and darker sig compared to the brighter HD25s.... That said I can see why some people would enjoy the HD25's more. The TMA's have a better sound stage though. Its only weakness is in the highs which can be compensated with EQ, but its not perfect (I tested with frequency sweeps and could not hear above 19kHz. Where as I could hear 21kHz on my HJE900s). That said, it doesn't debilitate them in any way, in fact it sorta works, because they are very non-fatiguing. 

So overall I enjoy them more than HD25-1 IIs for the majority of my music but that is due to my personal preferences. However... I do plan on getting the HD25-1 IIs, just so I can say I own the same pair of cans Martin Scorsese uses :p (Also, HD25s work better for certain genres, but only marginally imo). 

Oh right.. and the build quality is STELLAR! 

(Note this was only from around a 15-30 minute A-B comparison) 

I got them yesterday and on first listen they were terribly dark and muddy. I think some burn in has helped because they aren't so veiled and laid back. I'm hoping further burn in will help more, because these only have about 15 hours on them so far. I'm planning on playing them non stop for the next week or so.

Build quality is superb; I can't think of any other $200 headphone that I've chucked into my backpack without worry.

Also, hurry up and send your pair to joker! I want to see the review!
biggrin.gif
 I would lend my pair but it seems you've got it covered. Really would like to see what he thinks of these compared to the DT1350 since I was having a hard time choosing between the two.

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #2,358 of 4,593
I'm in the process of moving and things are hectic. I think I'll be able to send them by the end of the month. 

As for burn in, I know mine didn't need it, but it is not unheard of. Let me know how it goes. 

Quote:
I got them yesterday and on first listen they were terribly dark and muddy. I think some burn in has helped because they aren't so veiled and laid back. I'm hoping further burn in will help more, because these only have about 15 hours on them so far. I'm planning on playing them non stop for the next week or so.

Build quality is superb; I can't think of any other $200 headphone that I've chucked into my backpack without worry.

Also, hurry up and send your pair to joker! I want to see the review!
biggrin.gif
 I would lend my pair but it seems you've got it covered. Really would like to see what he thinks of these compared to the DT1350 since I was having a hard time choosing between the two.

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #2,359 of 4,593

Quote:
I'm in the process of moving and things are hectic. I think I'll be able to send them by the end of the month. 

As for burn in, I know mine didn't need it, but it is not unheard of. Let me know how it goes. 

To me these are still improving. I'm sure it's a combination of my brain getting adjusted to the headphones and the headphones also burning in. Still very warm but I am actually enjoying them now.

Only problem is my ears get hot pretty quickly. I think I'd have to switch to IEM's in the summer. They're pretty comfortable though; they only become uncomfortable after 4 straight hours of wearing them.

Also, the cable is terrible. I hate this thing.

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #2,361 of 4,593

Quote:
To me these are still improving. I'm sure it's a combination of my brain getting adjusted to the headphones and the headphones also burning in. Still very warm but I am actually enjoying them now.

Only problem is my ears get hot pretty quickly. I think I'd have to switch to IEM's in the summer. They're pretty comfortable though; they only become uncomfortable after 4 straight hours of wearing them.

Also, the cable is terrible. I hate this thing.

I replaced the cable pretty quickly. It is a great cable for home or for behind a turntable, but not for travel or casual use. 

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #2,362 of 4,593
I'd like to see a Showdown between the DT 235 and Superlux HD660, though the Superlux look pretty beefy and not very "portable"..

Sep 10, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #2,363 of 4,593

Quote:
wow.. this is darn useful thread man.. thanks ..

Thanks, glad to hear it!

Quote:
I'd like to see a Showdown between the DT 235 and Superlux HD660, though the Superlux look pretty beefy and not very "portable"..

Unfortunately I haven't heard any Superlux models except the 668B. Maybe someone else can give a comparison though unfortunately the DT235 isn't that popular either.

Sep 11, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #2,364 of 4,593

Quote:
Yes, better than 'destroyer of wallets' or whatever people in the IEM thread were suggesting.

@ljokerl Which one would you choose between the Phiaton Ms400 all black and the B&W P5 to use on the go with an iphone without amp?i can have both for more or less the same price (here in europe the phiaton ms 400 all black would cost me 220 euro with delivery,i can buy the P5 for 240euro at the local store).I know the P5 scored better in your shootout but i read many posts on the forum and most of the people were highly disappointed by them 
rolleyes.gif
 For me on the go are really important fun sound,style,leakage and durability 
darthsmile.gif

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #2,365 of 4,593
I preferred the sound of the MS400 (and MS300), but the P5 has fantastic comfort and isolation. Both can be driven from an iphone, and both are well built though I wouldn't call either of them particularly durable. 

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #2,366 of 4,593

Quote:
@ljokerl Which one would you choose between the Phiaton Ms400 all black and the B&W P5 to use on the go with an iphone without amp?i can have both for more or less the same price (here in europe the phiaton ms 400 all black would cost me 220 euro with delivery,i can buy the P5 for 240euro at the local store).I know the P5 scored better in your shootout but i read many posts on the forum and most of the people were highly disappointed by them
rolleyes.gif
 For me on the go are really important fun sound,style,leakage and durability 
darthsmile.gif

I'm with Armaegis on this - though I think it could go either way based on taste, I preferred the sound of the MS400. I did give the nod to the P5 on isolation and comfort, which is why it scores a bit higher overall. Value-wise, the P5 just does not sound good enough for its price (which is why so many on this forum have such a poor opinion of it) and at 220 EUR neither does the MS400, to be honest. If forced to pick one I'd probably go with the Phiatons still, unless you really fancy the mic/remote or higher isolation of the P5.

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #2,367 of 4,593
Many thanks to Armaegis and ljokerl for the answers!The mic/remote are really handy ,so the detachable one side cable of the P5 but i'm still looking for at least good sound quality  on the go (i have a pair of Sennheiser Hd25 and Beyerdynamic Dt1350 that i use at home and at the office,i know i will probably not find anything as good as those two sound quality wise but actually especially when i'm on the go,i don't have  my ipod classic/fiio E11 with me and they really require an amp and good sources to shine). Btw my iphone and ipod volume are "Eu capped" (Many thanks to the french laws 
rolleyes.gif
 ) then to have proper volume  i have to use an amp 
normal_smile .gif
  I will think about it,as far as i have understood comparing the Phiaton and The B&W these are the pros and cons :

Phiaton MS400
Pros:a bit better sound quality with a fun sound signature
Cons:two sides non detachable cable,a bit bigger than P5,less isolation and comfort,not so classy looking,no mic/remote,i should buy them on the internet because they are really hard to find in Europe

Bowers&Wilkins P5
Pros:Really good looking headphones but still low profile,awesome comfort and isolation,one side detachable cable,made almost all in metal/leather,2 cables included,i can buy them from the apple store just right down the corner 
tongue.gif

Cons:Sound quality (the most important thing for a pair of headphones, at least for me 
frown.gif
), price

It's just a pity i couldn't find a shop where to try them 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #2,368 of 4,593

Quote:
Many thanks to Armaegis and ljokerl for the answers!The mic/remote are really handy ,so the detachable one side cable of the P5 but i'm still looking for at least good sound quality  on the go (i have a pair of Sennheiser Hd25 and Beyerdynamic Dt1350 that i use at home and at the office,i know i will probably not find anything as good as those two sound quality wise but actually especially when i'm on the go,i don't have  my ipod classic/fiio E11 with me and they really require an amp and good sources to shine). Btw my iphone and ipod volume are "Eu capped" (Many thanks to the french laws 
rolleyes.gif
 ) then to have proper volume  i have to use an amp 
normal_smile .gif
  I will think about it,as far as i have understood comparing the Phiaton and The B&W these are the pros and cons :

If low listening volume is a concern, it's worth noting that I think the P5 sounds best at higher volumes (I usually keep my volumes very low). I didn't get that sense from the MS400.

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #2,369 of 4,593

Quote:
If low listening volume is a concern, it's worth noting that I think the P5 sounds best at higher volumes (I usually keep my volumes very low). I didn't get that sense from the MS400.

Yeah, the bottom end of the MS400 is a little bit rumbly which gives it a sense of body even at low volumes. The P5, while isolating better, doesn't give that same sense of oomph.

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #2,370 of 4,593
Dangit, so i went looking for the Coby set and could only find the "CV215" with silver cups.
In the spirit of the "enjoy the music, not the equipment" thread i decided to get these as a beater can. My M9 gets a 5 on sound quality and they are pretty good to me, same with the KSc75 so for $10 i figured why not? I'm done with IEMs. They had two sets of JVC flats but they were both pink!
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back