Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 7, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #647 of 5,854
I just picked up a pair of HiFiMan HE-5LE's and prefer them over the LCD-2's (although I still like the latter). The LCD-2's sound a little recessed whereas the the HE-5LE's remind me of a good pair of electrostatics.
You like those, give the 6s a shot on a quality speaker amp.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #650 of 5,854
Quote:
Yup, it's all about the preferences.

I've tried the LCD-2's at multiple meets with different amps/DACs and they continue to disappoint me. Its soundstage is rather suffocating and the highs...just seem lacking to me. As a whole, the LCD-2 just seems too dark for my personal tastes, and it seems that that sound characteristic is carried on to the LCD-3.

On the other hand, the HD800 continues to impress me as well. I will never forget how "wowed" I was when I heard the HD800 for the first time. Everything just seemed so clear, airy, and very spacious. I would go for an HD800 any time, any day over the LCD-2, but again it's a personal preference for sound.
While on the topic of Sennheiser's headphones, I'm still not completely impressed with the HD650. To me it still sounds rather dark compared to the HD800 *cough Sennheiser veil* and its soundstage isn't all that large either. It's not a particularly fast headphone too, so maybe that's a personal preference as well (in comparison I really like the speed of the K 701 and SRH940). I can definitely see the appeal for it, but it's not my cup of tea.

I agree on the LCD-2s. Everything else about the sound is great though. LCD-3, to me, sounded less suffocated in terms of soundstage and highs, bass was also AWESOME, clear step up in my opinion. But the LCD-3 I heard had a significantly more withdrawn, thin and grainy midrange compared to the 2s. Could've been a defective, or "veiled" unit.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #651 of 5,854
I think your either an LCD2 or HD800 man (or woman
tongue_smile.gif
). Simple as that. Anyone who likes both must be in a confused state of mind in regards to what they want in a sound signature.  

beerchug.gif

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #652 of 5,854
Quote:
tongue_smile.gif
). Simple as that. Anyone who likes both must be in a confused state of mind in regards to what they want in a sound signature.  

beerchug.gif

I like both in different ways. Headphones can have totally different sound signatures while having comparable sound quality. For me, sound quality is what really matters, while sound signature is something I just try to get used to. I love both my HD650 and DT990 or Etymotic ER4 and JVC FXT90 even though they sound totally different, because they are comparable in sound quality to my ears and spending a fair amount of time with any one of them allows me to adjust to their sound signature and to enjoy them for what they are. Plus, you can at least somewhat equalize a headphone to your liking with a half decent EQ.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #653 of 5,854
Quote:
tongue_smile.gif

beerchug.gif

Haha, there's always room for more than one good beer in my fridge:) hehe 
beerchug.gif

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #654 of 5,854
Quote:

I like both in different ways. Headphones can have totally different sound signatures while having comparable sound quality. For me, sound quality is what really matters, while sound signature is something I just try to get used to. I love both my HD650 and DT990 or Etymotic ER4 and JVC FXT90 even though they sound totally different, because they are comparable in sound quality to my ears and spending a fair amount of time with any one of them allows me to adjust to their sound signature and to enjoy them for what they are. Plus, you can at least somewhat equalize a headphone to your liking with a half decent EQ.

Do you feel the Dt990's,are similar in SQ to the DT880-600ohm headphone?
I have a pending order on a pair of the 880's
My other headphones are the lcd-2's & He-6's

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #657 of 5,854
Quote:
Whoa, epic thread.  Thank you for the effort and time put in.

Mind if I ask what you currently do?  Are you still in sound engineering?

Thank you

I still do sound engineering and studio sessions (as musician) but my full time job is headphones.com

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #658 of 5,854
Quote:
Do you feel the Dt990's,are similar in SQ to the DT880-600ohm headphone?
I have a pending order on a pair of the 880's
My other headphones are the lcd-2's & He-6's

The DT990's resemble more of the DT770, fairly laid back, recessed, good bass and sometimes highs can be bright (the DT990 600ohm best of the lot). The DT880 on the other hand is fairly more neutral, doesn't have the bass of the 770/990, but more smooth and coherent with sound. I personally prefer the DT880 over the 770/900 (Pro and Premium) any day of the week.

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #659 of 5,854
I find the DT 990 to be more colored than the DT 880 but its not necessarily worse.  I like the DT880's less "intrusive" character and ultimately I preferred it.  The DT 990 tended to perform better with very aggressive music because it has extra emphasis in the lower and high region.  It's essentially a DT 880 that's been tweaked  to offer a U-shaped EQ curve.  Of course, I am going off impressions which it left on me a while ago as I don't have the DT 990 anymore and I'm reluctant to include it in the evaluation (not because I didn't like it) because I presently am not in possession of it for comparison.  I agree with DefQon that its essence is more similar to the DT 770 than the DT 880, although its certainly more open sounding with an improved soundstage.  The DT 880 may sound boring by comparison, like how some may prefer Coke to Pepsi (i do), but if you taste Pepsi first, Coke doesn't taste sweet because Pepsi has more sugar.  

Hopefully, I'll get to include the DT 990 in my evaluation in the upcoming months.  It's a fine headphone offering.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #660 of 5,854
Whilst we are on the topic of DT880's. I would like to know your personal opinion on whether it is actually worth spending the extra money for the 600Ohm version as compared to the 250Ohm. Pro DT880's can be purchased quite cheaply compared to the 600Ohm premium version. Do you believe the difference in price is equal to that of the sonic capability?

Also, same question for the T1's. I understand they have 'tesla' technology and the drivers are angled, but apart from that they are quite similar aren't they, once again, is it worth spending the extra for something that may not be that substantially different? Would you agree, that it's a better investment spending the remainder of the saved money on a better amplifier? 

Thanks, also, been following this thread since the first day! You are doing a mighty fine job on all the questions. It's like an IAmA on Reddit! Well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back