Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #661 of 5,854
Quote:
Whilst we are on the topic of DT880's. I would like to know your personal opinion on whether it is actually worth spending the extra money for the 600Ohm version. Pro DT880's can be purchased quite cheaply compared to the 600Ohm premium version. Do you believe the difference in price is equal to that of the sonic capability?

Also, same question for the T1's. I understand they have 'tesla' technology and the drivers are angled, but apart from that they are quite similar aren't they, once again, is it worth spending the extra for something that may not be that substantially different? Would you agree, that it's a better investment spending the remainder of the saved money on a better amplifier? 

Thanks, also, been following this thread since the first day! You are doing a mighty fine job on all the questions. It's like an IAmA on Reddit! Well done.

Thanks for the kind words:)

It 600 ohm does sound different, and I think it sounds better.  I am not sure if its worth the price difference, but I haven't used the Pro edition in some time.

Regarding the T1, the construction and the sound is a different world (i'm not saying better world - although I feel it over all is better).  Sonically the T1 sounds entirely different from the DT 880.  The only thing that the DT 880 and the T1 share sonically is that their tonal balance is similar (not the same).  However the T1 is more detailed and overall, snappier and quicker.  I think the T1 sounds better.  But the DT 880 is superior value imo.

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #662 of 5,854
did you go through burn in of the HE500 yourself? I find that these cans have significantly more air presence, meaning i can feel the air moving all over my ear as opposed to dynamic cans just giving mere soundwave blast.

for orchestra stuff it seems to really sound muffled out of the box, but bass is good already for sure.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #664 of 5,854
Quote:
did you go through burn in of the HE500 yourself? I find that these cans have significantly more air presence, meaning i can feel the air moving all over my ear as opposed to dynamic cans just giving mere soundwave blast.

for orchestra stuff it seems to really sound muffled out of the box, but bass is good already for sure.

Orthos, especially open air large-diaphragm ones like Hifiman/Audeze units, tend to move more air than dynamic drivers, by design. This is also partially why "ortho bass" just can't be simulated with dynamic cans.

As for burn-in, it is most likely just you not being familiar with the voicing of the headphone fresh out of the box. HE500s are fairly neutral up top, which means they'll sound a bit dull until your ears are adjusted to them.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #665 of 5,854
Quote:
Orthos, especially open air large-diaphragm ones like Hifiman/Audeze units, tend to move more air than dynamic drivers, by design. This is also partially why "ortho bass" just can't be simulated with dynamic cans.

As for burn-in, it is most likely just you not being familiar with the voicing of the headphone fresh out of the box. HE500s are fairly neutral up top, which means they'll sound a bit dull until your ears are adjusted to them.

well i am used to the k702, and i didn't recall them having such a muffled performance for orchestra classical out of the box..

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #666 of 5,854
Quote:
well i am used to the k702, and i didn't recall them having such a muffled performance for orchestra classical out of the box..

K702 has an upward tilt going from bass to treble; meanwhile HE500s are MUCH warmer in sound signature. The two are quite the polar opposites despite both being neutral.

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #667 of 5,854
Quote:

All the headphones were burned-in prior to my analysis :)  I did not observe the burn-in though as it was happening to note changes.  I believe that Fang may actually burn-in the HE-500 for several hours before shipping as well.

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #669 of 5,854
Simply a MASTERPIECE!    A VERY special MASTERPIECE.

And yes, I think it deserves a little SHOUTING. Hope ya'll don't mind. 
I'm glad to have contributed to David's efforts in whatever small way I may have done as he kindly notes in his [size=15.555556297302246px]acknowledgements section[/size]. He has been such a pleasure to communicate with.  Our trusting each other with some very expensive equipment early along the way, without knowing one other very well in the beginning, is simply a testament  as to how we are all brothers and sisters in this hobby, worthy of each other's respect and mutual trust.  

Thank you, David, for an accomplishment that transcends above and beyond.

DannyB

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #670 of 5,854
Well said, and many thanks to David for his incredible effort and valuable insight. It is an honor to post in this thread. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #671 of 5,854
Quote:
Simply a MASTERPIECE!    A VERY special MASTERPIECE.

And yes, I think it deserves a little SHOUTING. Hope ya'll don't mind. 
I'm glad to have contributed to David's efforts in whatever small way I may have done as he kindly notes in his [size=15.555556297302246px]acknowledgements section[/size]. He has been such a pleasure to communicate with.  Our trusting each other with some very expensive equipment early along the way, without knowing one other very well in the beginning, is simply a testament  as to how we are all brothers and sisters in this hobby, worthy of each other's respect and mutual trust.  

Thank you, David, for an accomplishment that transcends above and beyond.

DannyB

Thanks Danny!!! :)
Quote:
Well said, and many thanks to David for his incredible effort and valuable insight. It is an honor to post in this thread. 

Thank you:)

And thank you to many others who I haven't directly acknowledged! It really means a lot!

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #672 of 5,854
David,

Would you say the KAM HP1 resembles the sound of the K 702 at all? (I'm not only going by looks, but also a few similarities in your description and the obvious fact that KAM are... "Inspired" by AKG.) I'm still looking for a closed headphone with sound reminiscent of my K 702 if you have any suggestions.

This is by the way the best post/thread on this whole forum but I think you've been told that...

Quote:
K702 has an upward tilt going from bass to treble; meanwhile HE500s are MUCH warmer in sound signature. The two are quite the polar opposites despite both being neutral.

Perfectly worded. Some people would go more extreme and say the one they didn't like was "fun sounding and not accurate" etc.
They're both fairly neutral but on opposite gradual slopes.
The 702s sound more neutral to *my* ears but I've also analyzed my own ears over time to realize I hear bass with much more emphasis than treble, so the slight upward 702 slope compensates nicely.

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #674 of 5,854
Quote:
David,

Would you say the KAM HP1 resembles the sound of the K 702 at all? (I'm not only going by looks, but also a few similarities in your description and the obvious fact that KAM are... "Inspired" by AKG.) I'm still looking for a closed headphone with sound reminiscent of my K 702 if you have any suggestions.

This is by the way the best post/thread on this whole forum but I think you've been told that...

Thank you very much for the kind words:)

It resembles the AKG house sound in general.  It doesn't quite compete with the K701/2 really, but it does compete with the K271 which is closed like the KAM. The very affordable Superlux probably has some similarities as well, but again I've not heard it.

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #675 of 5,854
The Superlux sounds a lot like the modern 240, though without some of its oomph. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back