Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 6, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #631 of 5,854
Quote:
I understand that you have not yet reviewed the Sennheiser IE80, but I can easily say it fixes many of the major problems of the Sennheiser IE8, and reduces the bass by a lot. Placing tape over the bass tuning port on the IE8/80 fixes some of the problems, such as controlling the bass.

Also, the Etymotic ER-4 has been a long standing flagship from Etymotic, have you done a review of it?

I owned the ER-4 for a long time, but not in the past 2 years and thus didn't include it.  I am hopeful to bring it in at some point.  A few people asked about this one.  I never found them comfortable.:)

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #632 of 5,854
Quote:

At some point I will definitely bring the HE-400 in:)  I can only hope this will be soon

Might as well include the HE-5LE as well.  They can scale something like the HE-6s so you'll need a pretty good amp to get the best out them.   It seems like these are over looked a great deal.

I see it like this HE-6 > HE-5LE > HE-500.   Haven't heard the HE-400 so I can't comment on them.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #633 of 5,854
David, not taken that way at all.. actually love my HD700 and am looking for a second pair to compliment them (HE500 or LCD2r2). I found your review spot on and I feel that the Lyr tames the highs a bit. Thanks for the great work!

Edit: I wish I had a chance to hear the HD600 and HD650 with the Schiit stack. I may have stopped trying to upgrade a while ago 
wink_face.gif

I don't want my review to look as though I discredit the HD700 as a legitimate offering.  It is a wonderful headphone in its own right (as most of the headphones in my list are). I try to pinpoint the issues I had with it, without making it appear that I thought it was subpar.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #634 of 5,854
I actually know someone that has a pair and they are going to lend me it to try out. I was considering pulling the trigger on the HD-800. But after reading the HD-700 is "warmer" I'm going to try it out. I too have the Lyr>Bifrost.

Going to eq the treble down. I'll let you know my impressions in the HD-700 thread. :)

After owning the HD600, 650, and  HE400 among others, I really appreciate the airiness and openness of the HD700 and don't find them at all harsh and I'm pretty sensitive to that.  Maybe it's my setup with the Lyr/BiFrost and a little EQ, but it works for me. Underamped they can be a little screechy but with the Schiit stack, they're really quite good.  I'm actually listening to the HD700 driven by the Audioengine D1 right now (definitely underamped) and on some pop songs they are a little harsh at times but acceptable at lower volumes.
At the last Toronto HeadFi meet, I had a chance to audition the HD800 through my system and no thanks, sticking with the HD700.  The owner of the HD800 tried my HD700's through some of his gear and preferred it. You really need to spend some time with them.
I wish the HD700 scored a little better but what the heck.  

Again, many thanks to David on the awesome post.  Just the kind of reviews that I as a relative newbie need to help me in making purchase decisions. Next on tap is the HE500 or the LCD2 but at this point, I'm in no hurry.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #635 of 5,854
i am not buying the ad2000 cus i chose the he 500 instead .already has ad700 and pretty happy with it. although priced only 200 i find it really hard to justify another of these mid end headphone, and plus i recently bought the k601, for the same price. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #636 of 5,854
Quote:

Might as well include the HE-5LE as well.  They can scale something like the HE-6s so you'll need a pretty good amp to get the best out them.   It seems like these are over looked a great deal.

I see it like this HE-6 > H-5LE > HE-500.   Haven't heard the HE-400 so I can't comment on them.

u mean he5le? it's definitely not as good as he500. the he6 is a fuse of he500 and he5le i would say

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #639 of 5,854
The OPs [5 of them] are a work of art.  Congrats David on an amazing collection and post. 

Have a listen to a broken-in set of Focal Spirit One cans if you ever get a chance.  You can see a couple of the the headphones that hold a special place in your heart (well, as far as value is concerned at least) I own as well.  I'd be curious if there's any commonality on the Focals too.  I will confess I do usually prefer them with a bit of 2.5KHz [presence] and 20KHz EQ boost and every so slight [-1.5db] 150Hz  cut if my source or amp I'm using at the time allows it; but I do often run them straight uneq'ed too and really love them.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #640 of 5,854
Those KAM HP1s are the coolest looking things since the German Maestro 8.30s and Stax Sigmas (I am very '80s) I don't care if they only seem to sell them via ebay with a 14 day return period and 90 day warranty I need 10 pairs ASAP

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #641 of 5,854
as a die hard hd 650 fan, (and hoping i can speak for the majority of the hd650 appreciation thread subscribers)  absolutely loved how you rendered their beauty, it was spot on in a complete unbiased and, neutral way. Terrific job David on the whole review, this is going down in the history books.

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #642 of 5,854
awesome review... thumbs up! really nice effort u put in!

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #644 of 5,854
Quote:

I see it like this HE-6 > HE-5LE > HE-500.   Haven't heard the HE-400 so I can't comment on them.

Quote:
u mean he5le? it's definitely not as good as he500. the he6 is a fuse of he500 and he5le i would say

I am in agreement with Preproman. I found that my HE-5 LE with Moon Audio Silver Cable was much better than HE-500. HE-6 trounced them both for me.

David, Have you heard the HE-5 LE Could you kindly include them in your review as well? Thanks

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #645 of 5,854
Quote:

I am in agreement with Preproman. I found that my HE-5 LE with Moon Audio Silver Cable was much better than HE-500. HE-6 trounced them both for me.

David, Have you heard the HE-5 LE Could you kindly include them in your review as well? Thanks

I used to own the HE-5, not HE-5 LE and I haven't heard the HE-5 LE that I can recall.  I would definitely like to check them out!  Ultimately, I really would love to include every aforementioned headphone in the review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back