Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 18, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,741 of 5,854
Thanks for the massive and comprehensive review David!

Have you had a chance to listen to the r2 LCD2? If you have, is there a big difference, and how would you rank it now? I

I'm upgrading from the 650 and am deciding between the LCD2 and HD800, concerned about the narrower sound stage and the thinness/brightness respectively.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #1,742 of 5,854
Quote:
Thanks for the massive and comprehensive review David!

Have you had a chance to listen to the r2 LCD2? If you have, is there a big difference, and how would you rank it now? I

I'm upgrading from the 650 and am deciding between the LCD2 and HD800, concerned about the narrower sound stage and the thinness/brightness respectively.

I haven't heard the LCD-2 Revision 2 yet.  According to Sankar at Audez'e, the difference is minimal, though the second revision has a slightly thinner diaphragm and ultimately a superior transient response. However, the differences according to him are marginal.  I don't know if that would affect the ranking, though I suspect, if it did, it wouldn't' be tremendous.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #1,743 of 5,854
Man after reading this shootout I got so depressed.

Especially at the beginning about the $30k DAC he used.   Ok, so I can drop 10Gs and get a digital studio, I can have the BEST audio interface, (RME, etc. etc.) but my digital files will never ever sound like the performance we captured. 

Man going from sin waves to 1s and 0s drives me nuts.  Because its like where do you draw the line.  I appreciate that homeboy went all out on his amps because of you do care enough
and are rich enough to spend 4k on some cans, you've just gotten the low down. 

I started looking at the top end ones had a heart attack now I'm looking at the top deals. 

Is there anyway you designed this shootout so you can update it over time as models of headphones get introduced and retired.  It'd be cool to have one spot to check when buying cans instead of reading amazon reviews by 14 year olds.

Thanks,

p.s. no offense to 14 year olds, I was probably smarter then. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #1,744 of 5,854
Quote:
Man after reading this shootout I got so depressed.

Especially at the beginning about the $30k DAC he used.   Ok, so I can drop 10Gs and get a digital studio, I can have the BEST audio interface, (RME, etc. etc.) but my digital files will never ever sound like the performance we captured. 

Man going from sin waves to 1s and 0s drives me nuts.  Because its like where do you draw the line.  I appreciate that homeboy went all out on his amps because of you do care enough
and are rich enough to spend 4k on some cans, you've just gotten the low down. 

I started looking at the top end ones had a heart attack now I'm looking at the top deals. 

Is there anyway you designed this shootout so you can update it over time as models of headphones get introduced and retired.  It'd be cool to have one spot to check when buying cans instead of reading amazon reviews by 14 year olds.

Thanks,

p.s. no offense to 14 year olds, I was probably smarter then. 

Please, don't let it depress you.

I plan to update the thread now and then.  And I will have one headphone added to list in the upcomng week.  

However, I've made a decision that around the number 70 I will retire the review (at least the purchasing of headphones).  I may choose continue to update the review with loaners, but I probably will eventually retire the review.

Another thing to think about (though unrelated) is that in 10 years, I suspect that "the science of digital" will advance so far from where it is now that a DAC equivalent to my own will be able  to found less than half the value it is now.  

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #1,745 of 5,854
Quote:
homeboy went all out on his amps

Lulz
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #1,747 of 5,854
David, wow, what an amazing review in every single way! Thank you!

Have you done a review on the V-Moda M-100s? I'd really love your thoughts on these. I just purchased these. I was expecting a huge soundstage, but don't seem to hear it. I'm no audiophile whatsoever, and it seems crazy that I of all people would be more picky than the masses who have spent so much time at Headfi. Someone else had mentioned that the soundstage was deep as in long, but not wide. Once I heard that, it made great sense, and I could finally envision the soundtage from that perspective. Am I nuts, or is this a valid observation?

Also, based on your review, I am interested in the HiFi Man HE-500. How would that compare to the M-100? I listen to pop/rock, adult contemporary, classical, broadway tunes. I do like bass, not a real big fan of flat sound, but really want clarity and spaciousness with tight solid bass. Since you are an audio engineer, I also suffer from mild-medium hearing loss, I think highest loss in the mids, with loud ringing in both ears. I'd have to pull out my chart for actual figures, if you'd be willing to take a look.

I'm still searching for that perfect sound where everything is wow. Maybe the O2 amp will help with the M-100. Will find out in a few days.

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #1,748 of 5,854
Looking to upgrade from the Sennheiser HD-598 To either the HD-650 or HE-500  Or if it would actually be worth getting the LCD-2's

How would you compare the midbass impact, detail from bass guitar,drums etc between them.
I love the HD-598 for the most part but the treble does tend to be a little much for me at times.

Great review.

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #1,751 of 5,854
Quote:
David, wow, what an amazing review in every single way! Thank you!

Have you done a review on the V-Moda M-100s? I'd really love your thoughts on these. I just purchased these. I was expecting a huge soundstage, but don't seem to hear it. I'm no audiophile whatsoever, and it seems crazy that I of all people would be more picky than the masses who have spent so much time at Headfi. Someone else had mentioned that the soundstage was deep as in long, but not wide. Once I heard that, it made great sense, and I could finally envision the soundtage from that perspective. Am I nuts, or is this a valid observation?

Also, based on your review, I am interested in the HiFi Man HE-500. How would that compare to the M-100? I listen to pop/rock, adult contemporary, classical, broadway tunes. I do like bass, not a real big fan of flat sound, but really want clarity and spaciousness with tight solid bass. Since you are an audio engineer, I also suffer from mild-medium hearing loss, I think highest loss in the mids, with loud ringing in both ears. I'd have to pull out my chart for actual figures, if you'd be willing to take a look.

I'm still searching for that perfect sound where everything is wow. Maybe the O2 amp will help with the M-100. Will find out in a few days.

I have neither done a review, nor heard the M100.  Therefore, I'm not sure if you're nuts :)

Without having heard the M100, I'm pretty confident that they serve a different purpose from the HE-500.  The HE-500 is not really suited towards portable application, while the M100 is.  It wouldn't be fair of me to say that the HE-500 is a higher end headphone without having heard the M100, but my instincts lead me to believe they are in different classes.  Again, there's no real point in valuing my opinion on this matter since I've had about as much time wearing the M100 as I have high-heels :) 
Quote:
Looking to upgrade from the Sennheiser HD-598 To either the HD-650 or HE-500  Or if it would actually be worth getting the LCD-2's

How would you compare the midbass impact, detail from bass guitar,drums etc between them.
I love the HD-598 for the most part but the treble does tend to be a little much for me at times.

Great review.

The HD650 has the a fuller tone.  The LCD-2 may be a happy medium between the HD650 and the HE500... fuller than the HE-500, but quicker than the HD650.

Quote:

So after seeing this all I could think about were two things.

1) Class 1 Felony Theft.

2) Earthquakes.

Quite the optimist you are ha

3) Insurance :)

Quote:
David,

All this talk about the HE-400.  You just might want to do the HE-4 as well.  It's a detail monster.

We shall see! :)

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #1,752 of 5,854
Quote:

So after seeing this all I could think about were two things.

1) Class 1 Felony Theft.

2) Earthquakes.

The guy has two HD-800's just because one makes a small noise when moving them around.

Schiit, ima go drive my ferrari, a small rock is ganna hit the front bumper, ima buy a new car, yolo.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #1,755 of 5,854
Quote:

No I think I see 4 on display there. His backup's backup has a backup.

I only see 2. The other two that might confuse you for HD800s are the HD700 (between the two real HD800s) and the Sony SA5000 (three shelves down on the left).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back