Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 20, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #1,756 of 5,854
Quote:
 Again, there's no real point in valuing my opinion on this matter since I've had about as much time wearing the M100 as I have high-heels :) 

And what evidence do we have that you haven't been wearing high heels, hmm?

I'm waiting.

tongue.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #1,757 of 5,854
Pleased I'm not the only one who listens to their music in high heels. (only when the wife is out:wink:

Of course this is for the damping factor you understand. Don't want any unnecessary vibrations traveling from my headphones to the floor. *Cough*

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #1,758 of 5,854
Quote:

The Jade is hard to find

Yeah, hopefully Head-Direct will release the Jade 2 at some point. Any head-fiers interested should check out purrin's petition (link in my sig).

Quote:

I have heard over half a dozen pairs and they have this rattle. If yours does not, then you are lucky.  It comes and goes.

Mine has this rattle as well. Thought I was imagining things at first...

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #1,759 of 5,854
Quote:
The guy has two HD-800's just because one makes a small noise when moving them around.

Schiit, ima go drive my ferrari, a small rock is ganna hit the front bumper, ima buy a new car, yolo.

HA! But that's not precisely why I've kept the headphone.  In fact, in the event that Sennheiser could not alleviate the defective noise I was hearing, I believe they may have been willing to swap it for a new one.  When I heard that the two pairs were different sounding enough to my ears, I decided I'd hang on to both.
Quote:

And what evidence do we have that you haven't been wearing high heels, hmm?

I'm waiting.

tongue.gif

HA!! I walked right into that one, didn't I? But fortunately, took my heels off before I did :wink:
Quote:

Mine has this rattle as well. Thought I was imagining things at first...

Initially it drove me to not even use the headphone.  Now I accept it as a sometimes appearing unpleasant byproduct of an excellent headphone.  But realistically, its an enormous defect in my opinion.  It is impossible (for me) to enjoy the sound of the music while the rattle is happening.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #1,763 of 5,854
Quote:
I have neither done a review, nor heard the M100.  Therefore, I'm not sure if you're nuts :)

Without having heard the M100, I'm pretty confident that they serve a different purpose from the HE-500.  The HE-500 is not really suited towards portable application, while the M100 is.  It wouldn't be fair of me to say that the HE-500 is a higher end headphone without having heard the M100, but my instincts lead me to believe they are in different classes.  Again, there's no real point in valuing my opinion on this matter since I've had about as much time wearing the M100 as I have high-heels :) 

The HD650 has the a fuller tone.  The LCD-2 may be a happy medium between the HD650 and the HE500... fuller than the HE-500, but quicker than the HD650.

Quite the optimist you are ha

3) Insurance :)

We shall see! :)

According to LugBug1, I think I'm off the hook...as long as I don't lose my individual status and associate with men in heels!

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #1,764 of 5,854
Quote:
According to LugBug1, I think I'm off the hook...as long as I don't lose my individual status and associate with men in heels!

Either way, you'll be OK...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pAE5G5OBzw

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #1,766 of 5,854
@David - read your excellent reviews and now just got through this thread. A very heartfelt thanks for this great piece of work! And almost equally as much thanks for answering so many questions about it.

I love some of your nuanced descriptions, but above all I love the fact this was done by one great set of ears and experiences, and that it was a relative ranking - as my mantra has always been in headphones and in life:  "everything is relative". Reading your later comments about your methodology in going back and forth and comparing a HP to others makes your results even more credible.

The downside of your work is now have a bad case of HAS (Headphone Acquitiion Syndrone), and as I was previously thinking about it now, I will have to pull the trigger
biggrin.gif
. I currently have a modded Denon D2000 (which I actually like alot) and for other types of music a 225i. I'm looking for something better but also different - and so I have been looking at the planars and for my $ the HE-400 or 500s. At this point, I'm looking more for things like better soundstage, transient response than just FR per se, as I like to EQ and can smooth out some things - but other qualities are obviously [size=10pt]inherent to the design [/size]so you cant 'tweek' it in/out. I'll be looking forward to your review of the 400, and how you think it compares to the 500.  Thanks again for your most cool work.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #1,767 of 5,854
Quote:
@David - read your excellent reviews and now just got through this thread. A very heartfelt thanks for this great piece of work! And almost equally as much thanks for answering so many questions about it.

I love some of your nuanced descriptions, but above all I love the fact this was done by one great set of ears and experiences, and that it was a relative ranking - as my mantra has always been in headphones and in life:  "everything is relative". Reading your later comments about your methodology in going back and forth and comparing a HP to others makes your results even more credible.

The downside of your work is now have a bad case of HAS (Headphone Acquitiion Syndrone), and as I was previously thinking about it now, I will have to pull the trigger
biggrin.gif
. I currently have a modded Denon D2000 (which I actually like alot) and for other types of music a 225i. I'm looking for something better but also different - and so I have been looking at the planars and for my $ the HE-400 or 500s. At this point, I'm looking more for things like better soundstage, transient response than just FR per se, as I like to EQ and can smooth out some things - but other qualities are obviously [size=10pt]inherent to the design [/size]so you cant 'tweek' it in/out. I'll be looking forward to your review of the 400, and how you think it compares to the 500.  Thanks again for your most cool work.

Thank you:)

The HE-400 review will be added soon!

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #1,768 of 5,854
Thanks so much for this epic labor of love! 

Thought I would add my experience with the K1000. I bought serial no. 10,0XX new many years ago (10+?) and was plagued by the rattle. It always occurred in the right driver. It was a terrible yang to their otherwise wonderful ying. Very annoying.

About 6 years ago, I wrangled a pair of replacement drivers from AKG. I was in competition with Disney, as I recall, who used them in a Disneyworld ride! Anyway, since then the rattle has never reappeared. Don't know if they still sell the drivers. The replacements look the same. Very mysterious but I don't think the grille was the problem though that is what I believed until the driver replacement.

I am truly amazed at your collection!

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #1,769 of 5,854
Dude, im drunk and almost pissed myself cuz I laughed so hard at this. But WTH....YOLO SWAG!!!

Yolo op op oppa gangnam style swag.

Im going to say "nice review" so that my post is relevant to the thread.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #1,770 of 5,854
Quote:
Thanks so much for this epic labor of love! 

Thought I would add my experience with the K1000. I bought serial no. 10,0XX new many years ago (10+?) and was plagued by the rattle. It always occurred in the right driver. It was a terrible yang to their otherwise wonderful ying. Very annoying.

About 6 years ago, I wrangled a pair of replacement drivers from AKG. I was in competition with Disney, as I recall, who used them in a Disneyworld ride! Anyway, since then the rattle has never reappeared. Don't know if they still sell the drivers. The replacements look the same. Very mysterious but I don't think the grille was the problem though that is what I believed until the driver replacement.

I am truly amazed at your collection!

Thank you!

It probably isn't the grill as I have done a mod to keep the grills still and the rattle still reappears (however less).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back