Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 16, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #1,711 of 5,854
thought i responded to this...

It can be frustrating yea.  I knew the mutliple retwists would eventually result in damage to the cable.  My cable happens to be terminated to 4-pin also.  It's just that I don't have 3 cables.  I have 4 hifiman headphones and one aftermarket cable haha.  

The HE400 review is on its way.  I also have to revise some other parts of the review to make sure it still reads correctly.  Everything from the #ing to the ranking is manual.  I'm regretting the way I formatted it now haha, but its too late.

Just a suggestion, but you could give Q-audio a try. They've got a big LCD2/3 cable and then sell short tails for the HE-series, HD600/650, and HD700/800. The tails adapt from those brands' connectors to the Audeze 3-pin XLR connectors. That way you've got one cable for all you Audeze, Sennheiser, and Hifiman offerings. I can't speak to the quality myself, but it seems like a nifty solution.

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #1,712 of 5,854
Quote:
Just a suggestion, but you could give Q-audio a try. They've got a big LCD2/3 cable and then sell short tails for the HE-series, HD600/650, and HD700/800. The tails adapt from those brands' connectors to the Audeze 3-pin XLR connectors. That way you've got one cable for all you Audeze, Sennheiser, and Hifiman offerings. I can't speak to the quality myself, but it seems like a nifty solution.

That's a cool solution isn't it?  Thanks! I know very little about Q Audio.  I'll look into it.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #1,714 of 5,854
Also look into toxic cables, they seem to have LOTS of fans, don't have any of their cables yet though.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-the-appreciation-thread/1515#post_8963742

I certainly agree..check toxic cables..if they cant make the cable/adapter for u then its probably impossible..and the quality is topnotch..check the reviews and personal experiences of customers...and pricing is surprising :D

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #1,715 of 5,854
Quote:
That's a cool solution isn't it?  Thanks! I know very little about Q Audio.  I'll look into it.

I do have to say though that the HiFiMan adapter is $30 and the HD-800 one is $50. it seems a little expensive for the budget audiophile. But then again, that's not what this thread is about, right? 
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #1,720 of 5,854
Quote:

Do you mean the L Cush pads that come with the PS/GS Grado series?  No I haven't swapped them out.

Maybe? Im thinking these. 

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsG1AL9icI-Rbln9yYFkCBdXALjS6ZIQbtL_MJDzAAv9knDlrKBQ
HD414 Pads.....with a hole cut in the middle so they look like this

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8k9tYMcsD0N-1ANfEuN5Wl17m7w3GF1UYb5kwUwmD5HsGGohcRA

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #1,721 of 5,854
I know very little about Q Audio.  I'll look into it."

Here the link:

http://www.theaudioguild.com/

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #1,722 of 5,854
David

First, I have owned a pair of AKG K1000 for about 15 years. In all of that time I have not heard a single rattle, not once. not ever. And even as a newly retired headfier my hearing is very accute and I have the graphs to prove it.

Second, you remarked only once about tactility and that was regarding the  HE 600.  The K1k is also very tactile when listening to music of a tactile nature.

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #1,723 of 5,854
Rattle can be repaired in the AKG-office - Therefore they replace the buffer on both sides.

Dec 17, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #1,724 of 5,854
Quote:
David

First, I have owned a pair of AKG K1000 for about 15 years. In all of that time I have not heard a single rattle, not once. not ever. And even as a newly retired headfier my hearing is very accute and I have the graphs to prove it.

Second, you remarked only once about tactility and that was regarding the  HE 600.  The K1k is also very tactile when listening to music of a tactile nature.

I'm sorry you are disappointed with my assessment. 

I have heard over half a dozen pairs and they have this rattle. If yours does not, then you are lucky.  It comes and goes.

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #1,725 of 5,854
Hi David

I was not disappointed with your assessment. As my long acquaintance with the KIK has never once yielded a rattle or buzz or for that matter any extraneous noise I was surprised  and perhaps a little indignant rather than disappointed

Your total review is a masterpiece - obviously a labour of love. And as you say at the very beginning one man's opinion.... You clearly state your preferences so it is relatively simple to extrapolate. I know nothing about headphones save my own but we share almost identical musical tastes ( I want Der Abschied from Das Lieder played at my funeral!) so I very much respect your views.

But to finish the K1K is very tactile. For example I have an unusually beautifully recorded Deutscher Gramaphon LP of Ravi Shankar (RIP) called 'East Meets East' and one can literally feel the strings through the K1 as well as hear them. I guess tactility is as much in the recorded as the transducer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back