Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 21, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #5,656 of 5,854
Refinement is a constantly evolving reality -in a industrialized society/economy. Today's "end-game", is tomorrow's 'nice-try'.

pj

I agree to some point but I think in some areas of industry some designs can survive the test o time. This is true, for example, in the super cars world where some older cars are considered legendary and very good despite the age and older technology and in headphones world there is not much innovation, unless there is a breakthrough in a new type of connector or how diaphragms work for example. I thinks this end game headphones will be good for quite some time.

Dec 21, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #5,657 of 5,854
Hd800S and a fully modded th900 by lawton have stopped me from considering other HP. I extensively tested susvara on my system and even with a significant discount ( still mucho) couldn't pull the trigger. LCD4 is the only can I could test to see but just don't have the urge. I found the source addition of antipodes was far more valuable than a HP or different DAC. well thats my cent.

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #5,658 of 5,854
I agree to some point but I think in some areas of industry some designs can survive the test o time. This is true, for example, in the super cars world where some older cars are considered legendary and very good despite the age and older technology and in headphones world there is not much innovation, unless there is a breakthrough in a new type of connector or how diaphragms work for example. I thinks this end game headphones will be good for quite some time.

Without doubt, there have been some excellent cans from 20+ years back (if memory serves me, the Senn HD-580/Precision a fine example).

Yet, there is an endless array/combination of not only drive-units (build quality/consistency) but chassis considerations; mounting techniques, driver angle, material selection and headband (and ear-pad) design (material, shape) but a few considerations. Although it's not rocket science, Sennheiser in particular appears to veer from tried/true design criteria with respect to tonal considerations, and basic head-band design/material choices; the single piece (L-to-R) foam headband 'cushion' (that's directly attached to the frame) is an example of backwards thinking -and questionable merit. (Think the head-band consistency of Stax, Beyer, AKG, Hifiman)
It seems Sennheiser (as of late) are more interested in aesthetic appeal as opposed to tried/true design integrity that was historically a given with Senn's. The sheer number of models available within the same mid-level ($200-$500.) price range is somewhat dubious. If for example, Senn had a Group(ing)/skew that separated/distinguished (made sense of) the in-numerous models on offer, personal selection would be far less daunting.

As it is, I'm left to assume the company is throwing (similarly priced) models out there randomly hoping one "takes". Of course, in the entry/life-style category (shaped by flavor-of-the-month buyers), that's understandable. However, in the 'audiophile' category, the barrage of 500-600 series models, while the not-terribly-impressive (and expensive) HD-800 has been relegated to the forgettable-bin by the 800S that by all rights should have been given a new model-series designation (such as "900" ,HD-810/880 etc.) given its sky-high price (jump) compared to the original -already an expensive headphone. By many accounts, the 800S is far superior to the standard 800; its Star-Treky styling ear cup (and headband) design appears to be the 'star of the show' as opposed to sound quality; elevating the resolution, transparency and accuracy as would be expected at this price point.

Right then, not sure how I veered off topic here other than to say I'll pay homage to classic Sennheiser by ordering Massdrop's HD-600/580 clone at $149. Now that's a price/performance recipe easy to digest -even if its performance falls short of the exemplary Hifiman 400i's.

pj

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #5,659 of 5,854
Without doubt, there have been some excellent cans from 20+ years back (if memory serves me, the Senn HD-580/Precision a fine example).

Yet, there is an endless array/combination of not only drive-units (build quality/consistency) but chassis considerations; mounting techniques, driver angle, material selection and headband (and ear-pad) design (material, shape) but a few considerations. Although it's not rocket science, Sennheiser in particular appears to veer from tried/true design criteria with respect to tonal considerations, and basic head-band design/material choices; the single piece (L-to-R) foam headband 'cushion' (that's directly attached to the frame) is an example of backwards thinking -and questionable merit. (Think the head-band consistency of Stax, Beyer, AKG, Hifiman)
It seems Sennheiser (as of late) are more interested in aesthetic appeal as opposed to tried/true design integrity that was historically a given with Senn's. The sheer number of models available within the same mid-level ($200-$500.) price range is somewhat dubious. If for example, Senn had a Group(ing)/skew that separated/distinguished (made sense of) the in-numerous models on offer, personal selection would be far less daunting.

As it is, I'm left to assume the company is throwing (similarly priced) models out there randomly hoping one "takes". Of course, in the entry/life-style category (shaped by flavor-of-the-month buyers), that's understandable. However, in the 'audiophile' category, the barrage of 500-600 series models, while the not-terribly-impressive (and expensive) HD-800 has been relegated to the forgettable-bin by the 800S that by all rights should have been given a new model-series designation (such as "900" ,HD-810/880 etc.) given its sky-high price (jump) compared to the original -already an expensive headphone. By many accounts, the 800S is far superior to the standard 800; its Star-Treky styling ear cup (and headband) design appears to be the 'star of the show' as opposed to sound quality; elevating the resolution, transparency and accuracy as would be expected at this price point.

Right then, not sure how I veered off topic here other than to say I'll pay homage to classic Sennheiser by ordering Massdrop's HD-600/580 clone at $149. Now that's a price/performance recipe easy to digest -even if its performance falls short of the exemplary Hifiman 400i's.

pj

Interesting I didn't saw that trend with senn but now that you said it I noticed that as well. It's a shame as well because in a way they divide the efforts in development of more field tested designs and in consequence good products for us and this is not even a problem to them, their brand is strong, people will defend and respect almost anything they make, I kinda feel that with some AKG models.

About the massdrop I think it might be the best way to go as well, unfortunately living in Brazil even 150 dollars is way to much and after buying the SHP9500 I had a shock, I always been a music lover, from Beatles to Radiohead, from lo fi rap to Tchaikovsky and I always cared about sound quality, but after getting the headphone I wasn't impressed, yes it's very good, both sound and comfort, but wasn't jaw dropping like to some people, which makes me question if the world of wasting a lot of money on headphones is ideal for me.

Maybe I am a 320 kbps mp3 guy not a flac guy. Maybe only trying a headphone at some store to find out if one expensive can will ever be worth for me.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #5,660 of 5,854
Interesting I didn't saw that trend with senn but now that you said it I noticed that as well. It's a shame as well because in a way they divide the efforts in development of more field tested designs and in consequence good products for us and this is not even a problem to them, their brand is strong, people will defend and respect almost anything they make, I kinda feel that with some AKG models.

About the massdrop I think it might be the best way to go as well, unfortunately living in Brazil even 150 dollars is way to much and after buying the SHP9500 I had a shock, I always been a music lover, from Beatles to Radiohead, from lo fi rap to Tchaikovsky and I always cared about sound quality, but after getting the headphone I wasn't impressed, yes it's very good, both sound and comfort, but wasn't jaw dropping like to some people, which makes me question if the world of wasting a lot of money on headphones is ideal for me.

Maybe I am a 320 kbps mp3 guy not a flac guy. Maybe only trying a headphone at some store to find out if one expensive can will ever be worth for me.

Electrolite: A music lover is all we (really) need to be. I must look up the SHP-9500 -make?

With respect to sound quality evaluation (in this case), it's either the headphone (SHP-9500), amplification, cables or source responsible for the disappointment. Regardless, we must move on to find something more compelling. The good news is that the Koss 'Porta-Pro' remains an excellent, headphone in addition to being compact, portable and affordable (approx. $50. US$ (Yes, fifty dollars).

I recently began 'streaming' audio as another source; Raspberry Pi 3B ($35. US$) running moode/MPD ($10.) into a Schiit Modi-2 Uber.
The addition of the Audioquest 'Carbon' USB cable resulted in an astonishing improvement -even with 128-320 Kb/s 'streams'.
Quite simply, it sounds wonderful, way beyond my original expectations. And, additionally, very, very affordable.

I do not know what may be available locally in Brazil, but Massdrop is offering an amazing deal on the Koss Porta-Pro that I urge any and every one to listen to and own.

BTW, there is nothing terribly impressive about compressed (so-called lossless) FLAC; WAVE file format is the only way to record/copy music.
Yet, with good radio stations incredible sound quality using 128-320 Kb/s streams can be enjoyed -surely to be better yet as superior (compression) algorithms evolve.

All in all, with careful audio equipment selection, truly excellent sound is there to savor for all -at very reasonable prices.

pj

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #5,663 of 5,854
Kindly, Is this thread could be updated to include the latest flagships.
I am fairly certain this thread will not be updated. David Mahler did an amazing amount of work to put up the original and made it pretty clear that he was not looking to go the the process again. If you look at his profile he hasn't even been on since May of last year. A new comparison would be great but I think it would have to fall on another's shoulders to put the time and money into doing this and I'm not sure anyone is up to the task. I suggest just enjoying this epic project for what it is and look to other reviews for newer products.

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #5,664 of 5,854
Ok, make a PART 2

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #5,665 of 5,854
I am fairly certain this thread will not be updated. David Mahler did an amazing amount of work to put up the original and made it pretty clear that he was not looking to go the the process again. If you look at his profile he hasn't even been on since May of last year. A new comparison would be great but I think it would have to fall on another's shoulders to put the time and money into doing this and I'm not sure anyone is up to the task. I suggest just enjoying this epic project for what it is and look to other reviews for newer products.

Many thanks, Pelli for your kindness and for your reply

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #5,666 of 5,854
There are so many new flagship and high end mid-fi HP’s today that I’d be surprised if anyone was to ever tackle this. The time/energy and money would be crazy. Hope someone would take on the job though.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #5,667 of 5,854
May 5, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #5,669 of 5,854
The review of these headphones appear to be nearly 5 years old by now. For the Fostex TH-900's can anyone say if the models being made today still accurately reflect the review from 2012?

There are usually subtle differences in the various production runs i.e. HD-800 earlier productions runs have a slightly different sound signature as compared to the later ones. I listened to an early serial numbered HD-800 versus mine Serial # in the 20,000s. They were substantially the same. You can read about HP changes over time in their respective threads. So I would say that a TH-900 sold today would be much the same as one's produced years ago. Major changes are typically labeled marketed differently such as the BeyerDynamic T1 Gen 2 or the HD-800 S etc.

May 6, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #5,670 of 5,854
The review of these headphones appear to be nearly 5 years old by now. For the Fostex TH-900's can anyone say if the models being made today still accurately reflect the review from 2012?

@rmbagg , there is a th900 mk2 out now, which has detachable cables. sound is supposed to be the same as the original th900. i've seen the original th900 go down to the $900 price point. also there is a limited edition green version floating around as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back