Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Apr 12, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #5,686 of 5,854
I'm considering getting one TOTL headphone and have somewhat narrowed it down to the two headphones, 1) Meze Empyrean and 2) Focal Stellia. I know it's apples and oranges but for those that have heard both, which is more subjectively enjoyable to you? If you had the choice to pick up either, which would you reach for first?
So oppositte sounding headphones ?

Apr 12, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #5,688 of 5,854
I'm considering getting one TOTL headphone and have somewhat narrowed it down to the two headphones, 1) Meze Empyrean and 2) Focal Stellia. I know it's apples and oranges but for those that have heard both, which is more subjectively enjoyable to you? If you had the choice to pick up either, which would you reach for first?

Couldn’t be more different, if I didn’t need CB’s the Meze would be my first choice... probably. That said, I’ve been using the stellia constantly for nearly 2 months and I haven’t had my head turned by anything else. They achieve a remarkable balancing act of being a tonal and technically clear window on the component chain behind them while simultaneously being addictively musical, which is something I’ve rarely found for less than £10k in speakers. I have been experimenting with various mains related components as well as introducing a new tellurium q black diamond usb between my renderer and dac. The stellia have made it incredibly easy to evaluate each change. I’m not sure the Meze are quite as accurate or tonally correct and they’re definitely a bit slower in the bass even though they extend much further. I have Meze again for this weekend, which will be an interesting refresher now I know the stellia’s so we’ll.:)

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #5,689 of 5,854
Couldn’t be more different, if I didn’t need CB’s the Meze would be my first choice... probably. That said, I’ve been using the stellia constantly for nearly 2 months and I haven’t had my head turned by anything else. They achieve a remarkable balancing act of being a tonal and technically clear window on the component chain behind them while simultaneously being addictively musical, which is something I’ve rarely found for less than £10k in speakers. I have been experimenting with various mains related components as well as introducing a new tellurium q black diamond usb between my renderer and dac. The stellia have made it incredibly easy to evaluate each change. I’m not sure the Meze are quite as accurate or tonally correct and they’re definitely a bit slower in the bass even though they extend much further. I have Meze again for this weekend, which will be an interesting refresher now I know the stellia’s so we’ll.:)

I did very much enjoy Focal speakers and I love my Focal Clear's which I use at home. I have the Elegia's currently at work as they are closed back. They sound excellent through the humble Monolith THX AAA Desktop AMP/DAC. Stellia's would be work applicable, though they are bit more flashy than the toned down Elegia's.

I would only use the Empyrean's at home but I have been very intrigued with the feedback that I have been reading about them. They sound like they could truly be end game cans.

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #5,690 of 5,854

Apples and Oranges for sure. Couldn't be much more different than these two. They do make great complements to each other though. This should be an easy choice though. Empyrean is warm, rich, smooth with great bass. The Focal is pretty accurate and neutral with leagues less richness and bass. Check your preferences and choose wisely.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #5,691 of 5,854
I did very much enjoy Focal speakers and I love my Focal Clear's which I use at home. I have the Elegia's currently at work as they are closed back. They sound excellent through the humble Monolith THX AAA Desktop AMP/DAC. Stellia's would be work applicable, though they are bit more flashy than the toned down Elegia's.

I would only use the Empyrean's at home but I have been very intrigued with the feedback that I have been reading about them. They sound like they could truly be end game cans.

Apples and Oranges for sure. Could be much more different than these two. They do make great complements to each other though. This should be an easy choice though. Empyrean is warm, rich, smooth with great bass. The Focal is pretty accurate and neutral with leagues less richness and bass. Check your preferences and choose wisely.

Definitely could be more different. I'm not sure i can process "end-game" as a concept.. i really wish i could though :wink: The Meze's really do live up to the hype and they seem to sound just as good either direct from my H2, or with the FA Euforia tube amp in front and even with lowly DF red and iphone, mind you so do the Stellia. The Meze are instantly, jaw dropping impressive and very addictive. Everything from crappy 192mp3 to DSD sounds great through them, whereas the Stellia took me a bit more time to properly appreciate, as did the Elegia before them, but for at least there's perhaps more long term nourishment to be had from them because of how well they let me enjoy the music and appreciate system tweaks. Still a very tough call, which has, semi-thankfully, been made for me in favour of the closed stellias, thanks fo my overly sensitive left ear, that plus living in a too-small house with 2 small boys under 5!

One thing i'd add re the Stellia's tuning, no they're definitely on the warmer side of neutral when compared to the Utopia, but the bass is slightly more linear than the meze. As you say, when you get to this price theres not many bad headphones, except perhaps HD820's :wink:, instead it really is down to personal tastes... mind you auditioning these two is very fun problem to have!

Apr 12, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #5,692 of 5,854
I have auditioned them side by side. Coming from neutral IEMs I preferred the Stellias. The Meze are great too but for my taste the are too warm and too slow. If I had the money I would buy both though :wink:

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #5,693 of 5,854
I have auditioned them side by side. Coming from neutral IEMs I preferred the Stellias. The Meze are great too but for my taste the are too warm and too slow. If I had the money I would buy both though :wink:

That is interesting, I am hearing conflicting reports about the speed of the Empyrean's. Some say that they are some of the fastest HP's they have heard and others mention that they tend to be a bit slower. I wonder if this has to do with amp synergy.

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #5,695 of 5,854
I enjoyed reading the list and of that list i own three but my end game have always been the Sennheiser HD-800.

But I must admit I am intrigued by the Beyerdynamic T1 .

I just wish i knew what amps played well with the Sennheiser HD-800 or 800s

Apr 13, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #5,696 of 5,854
Definitely could be more different. I'm not sure i can process "end-game" as a concept.. i really wish i could though :wink: The Meze's really do live up to the hype and they seem to sound just as good either direct from my H2, or with the FA Euforia tube amp in front and even with lowly DF red and iphone, mind you so do the Stellia. The Meze are instantly, jaw dropping impressive and very addictive. Everything from crappy 192mp3 to DSD sounds great through them, whereas the Stellia took me a bit more time to properly appreciate, as did the Elegia before them, but for at least there's perhaps more long term nourishment to be had from them because of how well they let me enjoy the music and appreciate system tweaks. Still a very tough call, which has, semi-thankfully, been made for me in favour of the closed stellias, thanks fo my overly sensitive left ear, that plus living in a too-small house with 2 small boys under 5!

One thing i'd add re the Stellia's tuning, no they're definitely on the warmer side of neutral when compared to the Utopia, but the bass is slightly more linear than the meze. As you say, when you get to this price theres not many bad headphones, except perhaps HD820's :wink:, instead it really is down to personal tastes... mind you auditioning these two is very fun problem to have!

Was the preference for closed backs because there was too much background noise that interfered with your music listening? I have a kiddo coming too and I almost thought I would want an open back so I could hear and not completely close myself off to what was going on. I'm sure my wife would want me to respond asap too :beyersmile:

Apr 14, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #5,697 of 5,854
I just wish i knew what amps played well with the Sennheiser HD-800 or 800s

One good option is shown in my signature line. Another option is Yggdrasil + Ragnarok.
I've heard both rigs and they work well. My rig is slightly less expensive.
ps. Another option is to ask Matt (above). He's heard everything :)

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #5,698 of 5,854
Bravo!

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #5,699 of 5,854

Users who are viewing this thread

Back