Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jun 4, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #5,716 of 5,854
Ummm, the Hifiman 400 (i's) is a much higher resolving and nuanced performer than the Senn 800's -.and, at less than half the price !

pj

That is totally not possible, ummm.
If that's a conclusion, then you're not using the right source :)

I've owned many flagships and auditioned more.
The HD800 win, unless I need an Audez'e bass fix, then it's the LCD-4.

YMMV as always in this hobby.

Happy Listening!
RCB

Jun 4, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #5,718 of 5,854
That is totally not possible, ummm.
If that's a conclusion, then you're not using the right source :)

I've owned many flagships and auditioned more.
The HD800 win, unless I need an Audez'e bass fix, then it's the LCD-4.

YMMV as always in this hobby.

Happy Listening!
RCB

Not possible ?? It's totally possible.

Indeed, 'YMMV' must be accounted for; and that leads me to ask
"How could the 'wrong (inadequate) source" be responsible
for comments such as:' superior resolution',' nuance' 'layering',
precision (top-to-bottom cohesion) far more precise and detailed
when/if the source is inadequate ?

Unless I have the model number (Senn's) wrong; I'm referring to
the standard Sennheiser HD-800 (about $800. CAD), vs. the HiFiman
400 (i),

pj

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #5,719 of 5,854
Not possible ?? It's totally possible.

Indeed, 'YMMV' must be accounted for; and that leads me to ask
"How could the 'wrong (inadequate) source" be responsible
for comments such as:' superior resolution',' nuance' 'layering',
precision (top-to-bottom cohesion) far more precise and detailed
when/if the source is inadequate ?

Unless I have the model number (Senn's) wrong; I'm referring to
the standard Sennheiser HD-800 (about $800. CAD), vs. the HiFiman
400 (i),

pj

I've never seen HD800s for $800cad and I live in vancouver so you certainly have the wrong model number. How long did you compare the two headphones and with what set-up? This might be a case of not liking a vastly different sound signature and/or an improperly amped HD800 (if that is what you heard but I highly doubt it).

Imagine listening to an old worn out tape, it'll sound fuzzy and scratchy, maybe you won't be able to hear some of the background detail clearly. Up to a certain point digital sources can be inadequate, after that point your probably paying for a specific tuning and the brand name. Analog is more discerning but it also has a price wall, just way higher up.

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #5,720 of 5,854
I have posted the following elsewhere around Head-Fi, but I'll repeat it here.

What opened up the SQ of the HD800 for me was a better DAC.
Specifically the multi-bit upgrade to my Schiit Gungnir D/S.

It was like turning on the "great sound" switch.
I've stayed with the Gumby DAC (now with the A2 and Gen5 USB) to this day.

The best I ever heard the HD800 sound was at a HP meet here in Nashville.
Dan Clark of Mr. Speakers was here with his rigs: Schiit Yggdrasil and two amps: 1) Ragnarok and 2) Woo-Audio WA5.
The HD800 sounded great with the Ragnarok, but with the WA5 the sound was over the top good (it's a $5,000+ amp).
The warmer tube sound of the WA5 took away some of the brightness of the Yggy and the HD800.

Net, the HD800 scale as well as, or better, than any other HP that I've heard. When you get it right ... it's magical.
It's not possible to see your gear @allhifi as you don't have a profile set-up - we may be able to help you more.

As for the price, (I believe) the HD800 are no longer made new by Sennheiser.
They were replaced by the HD800S and HD820 (neither of which are close to the original HD800, for me).
So it may be possible to buy new, or certainly used, HD800 for ~$800.
Mine were ~$1,500 new and worth every penny :)

Cheers, friends.
RCB

Jun 6, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #5,721 of 5,854
@RCBinTN You missed the part where the said $800CAD. $800cad=$597USD. Your response was to USD; imagine seeing a brand new HD800 for $600USD, thats what @allhifi is saying.

Jun 6, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #5,722 of 5,854
@RCBinTN You missed the part where the said $800CAD. $800cad=$597USD. Your response was to USD; imagine seeing a brand new HD800 for $600USD, thats what @allhifi is saying.

Yes, you're right I missed that. Just for fun, I'm checking the Head-Fi classifieds for used HD800 ...

Jun 6, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #5,724 of 5,854
I have posted the following elsewhere around Head-Fi, but I'll repeat it here.

What opened up the SQ of the HD800 for me was a better DAC.
Specifically the multi-bit upgrade to my Schiit Gungnir D/S.

It was like turning on the "great sound" switch.
I've stayed with the Gumby DAC (now with the A2 and Gen5 USB) to this day.

The best I ever heard the HD800 sound was at a HP meet here in Nashville.
Dan Clark of Mr. Speakers was here with his rigs: Schiit Yggdrasil and two amps: 1) Ragnarok and 2) Woo-Audio WA5.
The HD800 sounded great with the Ragnarok, but with the WA5 the sound was over the top good (it's a $5,000+ amp).
The warmer tube sound of the WA5 took away some of the brightness of the Yggy and the HD800.

Net, the HD800 scale as well as, or better, than any other HP that I've heard. When you get it right ... it's magical.
It's not possible to see your gear @allhifi as you don't have a profile set-up - we may be able to help you more.

As for the price, (I believe) the HD800 are no longer made new by Sennheiser.
They were replaced by the HD800S and HD820 (neither of which are close to the original HD800, for me).
So it may be possible to buy new, or certainly used, HD800 for ~$800.
Mine were ~$1,500 new and worth every penny :)

Cheers, friends.
RCB
Well I can vouch for Gumby it does make good headphone sound great. 800 with Gumby and good tube amp is a killer setup.
I currently have LP with NOS tube paired with Gumby A2 in balanced mode and 800s sounds great. Cant imagine 400s as more resolving headphone.
Not sure of the music or songs he used to compare, may be we can try out those songs with 800s

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #5,726 of 5,854
Jun 10, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #5,727 of 5,854
Those are actually prices of used HD800 listed here on Head-Fi.
Check it yourself ... just search the linked thread for HD800:
https://www.head-fi.org/forums/headphones-for-sale-trade.6550/

Right, your still missing the fact that those used prices are higher than the brand new prices this person quoted. I'm hearing you on the used prices, however, I'm also trying to figure out (for no discernible reason) what allhifi actually listened to. Again, those used prices are higher in canadian dollars than what they said they saw it go for brand new. We might never know what they actually listened to so I'll probably quit trying at this point.

Jun 10, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #5,728 of 5,854
Right, your still missing the fact that those used prices are higher than the brand new prices this person quoted. I'm hearing you on the used prices, however, I'm also trying to figure out (for no discernible reason) what allhifi actually listened to. Again, those used prices are higher in canadian dollars than what they said they saw it go for brand new. We might never know what they actually listened to so I'll probably quit trying at this point.

Yep, to each his or her own. A lot of folks love the HE400i and it's likely easier to find a rig that drives them well.
I don't even know if you can buy HD800 new any longer. Another flagship bites the dust ...

Jun 14, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #5,729 of 5,854
Have you tried HD800 with some EQ? Much more effective and reasonable than finding "amp synergy" imo if it's practical feasible for you. I'm a bit unsure how neutral HD800 is. After adjusting FR back and forth taking into account the measured response, HD800 is great for music but still sounds a little bit brighter than reality sometimes. The brightness compensates for things though, I could actually use sharper in piano recordings for instance.

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #5,730 of 5,854
I personally like the "bright" sound of the HD800, one of their best qualities IMO. I hate dark/veiled headphones that hide the music.

I do use some EQ with my HD800, via the DSP studio in JRiver ... so digital EQ.

Here's a screen shot of my typical HD800 set-up. The lower SPL at 6kHz reduces listening fatigue, for me.
The lower "PreAmp" setting gives the amplifier room to "breathe." That also naturally improved the bass SQ. YMMV.

I would prefer to do EQ on the analog side, that several other folks have recommended.
Therefore - on the lookout for a Loki Max (balanced) from Schiit Audio ... maybe someday :)

Digital EQ for HD800 in JRiver.png

Cheers,
RCB

ps. There are many more opinions and DIY mods for the HD800 out there! In particular, @johnjen is an expert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back