The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 30, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #3,783 of 12,991
What kind of music?
Are you using an amp?...which one?

Mostly hip hop and electronic, I dabble in some Metallica, Beatles, rage against the machines as well. I use the sound blaster x7. Which if your not familiar is a pretty powerful amp and dac. I currently have a fidelio X1, m50x, beats studios and sold or returned hd700's vmoda m100's k550's and more.

Trying to keep it under $400 if possible.

I know that what I am asking for is probably the th600 or th900, but the 900 is out of my range right now and the 600 is close, maybe I could find a used one for $400.

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #3,784 of 12,991
Mostly hip hop and electronic, I dabble in some Metallica, Beatles, rage against the machines as well. I use the sound blaster x7. Which if your not familiar is a pretty powerful amp and dac. I currently have a fidelio X1, m50x, beats studios and sold or returned hd700's vmoda m100's k550's and more.

I know that what I am asking for is probably the th600 or th900, but the 900 is out of my range right now and the 600 is close, maybe I could find a used one for $400.

You should probably go with that. It's worth the money relative to what others offer. It will play everything and has bass on standby in big amounts if you feed it a good bass eq

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #3,785 of 12,991
Has anyone that follows this thread ever tried the bass mod on the Sennheiser HD439?  I have a pair scheduled for delivery this Thursday.  Going to mod them.  I'm wondering how they would rank against the list of heavy hitters mentioned in this thread?  Supposedly, removing the tape on air vents on the back of the drivers makes them bass monsters (at least that's what forum members report).

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #3,786 of 12,991
  Has anyone that follows this thread ever tried the bass mod on the Sennheiser HD439?  I have a pair scheduled for delivery this Thursday.  Going to mod them.  I'm wondering how they would rank against the list of heavy hitters mentioned in this thread?  Supposedly, removing the tape on air vents on the back of the drivers makes them bass monsters (at least that's what forum members report).

They have 40mm drivers. If properly vented who knows?
Make sure it's a good signal with clean power and step it up like OC'ing a CPU.
Step by step
Raise,listen,wait...all clear...no distortion.
Rinse and repeat.
If aaanythiing...anything at all sounds even remotely odd back off and don't damage those cans.
They look sexy. Modding will bork a warranty.

Can you use a solder gun?

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #3,787 of 12,991
They have 40mm drivers. If properly vented who knows?
Make sure it's a good signal with clean power and step it up like OC'ing a CPU.
Step by step
Raise,listen,wait...all clear...no distortion.
Rinse and repeat.
If aaanythiing...anything at all sounds even remotely odd back off and don't damage those cans.
They look sexy. Modding will bork a warranty.

Can you use a solder gun?

Ha, ha. I tried soldering a part on my car a few months ago. The part failed shortly thereafter. So no, I can't solder worth a crap.

I'm aware of voiding the warranty. Only gave $45 for them new so I think it's worth the risk. From what I have read, the main risk is damaging fragile wires that go to the drivers. Plan to be very careful.

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #3,788 of 12,991

Slightly off-topic, but why did you sell/return your HD-700s?  I'm pretty (written as extremely) happy with my HD-650s, but always thought that one-day I'd give them a serious head-to-head with the HD-700s across all of my music types & favorite bands to see how they compare.  They are no bass canons like my SZ-2000s (written as SEX!) but they do bass competently for any "normal" performance expectations.  That statement just piqued my curiosity....

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #3,789 of 12,991

Slightly off-topic, but why did you sell/return your HD-700s?  I'm pretty (written as extremely) happy with my HD-650s, but always thought that one-day I'd give them a serious head-to-head with the HD-700s across all of my music types & favorite bands to see how they compare.  They are no bass canons like my SZ-2000s (written as SEX!) but they do bass competently for any "normal" performance expectations.  That statement just piqued my curiosity....

Sold them because the price for performance was not there for me, during the holidays the hd700 sold for 375 bstock through Sennheiser. At that price they are great, they are extremely comfortable, have great bass for an open headphone but they have very annoying treble spikes. Even after some equing (which I don't like to do) I found the spikes fatiguing. Also, for the over $500+tax I paid for a new pair, I felt money could be better spent elsewhere. Mind you this is my personal opinion, if I paid even $100 less I would have kept them. Selling them freed up some money for me to buy fidelio x1's and a X7 for gaming purposes.

In the future, if I am lucky enough to catch one of those bstock or used sales for under $400, I'd jump right on the HD700 bandwagon again.

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #3,790 of 12,991
Ha, ha. I tried soldering a part on my car a few months ago. The part failed shortly thereafter. So no, I can't solder worth a crap.

I'm aware of voiding the warranty. Only gave $45 for them new so I think it's worth the risk. From what I have read, the main risk is damaging fragile wires that go to the drivers. Plan to be very careful.

When you take the screws out do not carry them across the face of the driver as the magnets are really powerful and suck them right into the dome. That happens a lot. Pull the screws out with your fingers just before they come out and pull them away from the drivers.  Man....so many folks have gone FAIL right there. Little screws and strong magnets....bad stuff. Move slowly and methodically
Practice propping the set before opening as you wanna put zero tension on the wires so make a cradle ...a book or 2 or 3 to stabalize it and then proceed. slowly. Whatever you do can be undone.

The screws...beware the screws.

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #3,791 of 12,991

When you take the screws out do not carry them across the face of the driver as the magnets are really powerful and suck them right into the dome. That happens a lot. Pull the screws out with your fingers just before they come out and pull them away from the drivers.  Man....so many folks have gone FAIL right there. Little screws and strong magnets....bad stuff. Move slowly and methodically
Practice propping the set before opening as you wanna put zero tension on the wires so make a cradle ...a book or 2 or 3 to stabalize it and then proceed. slowly. Whatever you do can be undone.

The screws...beware the screws.

Hey, thanks for the advice.  Will definitely take these things into account!!!

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #3,792 of 12,991
Look like mr60x already on market right now. They have nowhere to run from paper test 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #3,793 of 12,991
@Hawaiibadboy Denon is going to release soon a BT Headphone:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/760389/denon-ah-gc20-headphone-discussion-thread

I absolutely want to try them! I am so curious to see if the ATH can be beaten!
People do not believe me when I describe the ATH. For me, among the BT Headphones, they are the only ones which reach an almost perfection level.
Of course, perfection is always relative, and when something better comes out, you notice what was missing before. Like me loving the Fidelio M2BT and then comparing them side by side with the ATH and saying "no way".
Although I still consider the M2BT the BEST Bt headphone ever for Sub-Bass. It is not a matter of quantity but of the solid body of their deep rumble. Not even the ATh and the UE9000 have it.
But for the rest, ATH.

I am still waiting for the answer of Kicker about the dimensions of the Earpads on the Cush. but I read you say that too thick and comfy pads are not good for the sound?
The Cush seem to have such pads.

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #3,794 of 12,991
  @Hawaiibadboy Denon is going to release soon a BT Headphone:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/760389/denon-ah-gc20-headphone-discussion-thread

I absolutely want to try them! I am so curious to see if the ATH can be beaten!
People do not believe me when I describe the ATH. For me, among the BT Headphones, they are the only ones which reach an almost perfection level.
Of course, perfection is always relative, and when something better comes out, you notice what was missing before. Like me loving the Fidelio M2BT and then comparing them side by side with the ATH and saying "no way".
Although I still consider the M2BT the BEST Bt headphone ever for Sub-Bass. It is not a matter of quantity but of the solid body of their deep rumble. Not even the ATh and the UE9000 have it.
But for the rest, ATH.

I am still waiting for the answer of Kicker about the dimensions of the Earpads on the Cush. but I read you say that too thick and comfy pads are not good for the sound?
The Cush seem to have such pads.

No.
The softer pads are sometimes/often better for sound and comfort but absorb the bass hit/energy too much for me. Folks ask about bass like in the videos and THAT requires XX or HM5.
However many folks use many pads and they all do different things. My SZ2k are primarily for Hip Hop/Rap so the dense pads are my personal choice and a must for maximum bass.....for more balanced soun others may do better.

The Denon D71000? Could be head kickers but they have such comfy pads. Great for long listening ...not for this threads list though.

I just listened to Sony's XB BT offering and it was pretty cool. I don't know much about BT cans though.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #3,795 of 12,991
Saw this thread and thought "surely the TH600 are on this list." I don't much consider myself a basshead but I'm loving my new TH600. When listening to EDM im pretty blown away by the bass they have. Especially when controlled by my Burson Soloist. Really great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back