The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Apr 1, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #3,796 of 12,991
umm, was just messing with my ipod touch EQ and boosted the 60 and below freq about 5 db, played Let Go by Exist Strategy full blast through my Westone 3, (clearly not a legit basshead setup even) and damn near had a orgasm in my head lol

what I'm getting at is, I'm pretty sure I belong here.  subbed and will slowly read thru  
cool.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #3,797 of 12,991
  umm, was just messing with my ipod touch EQ and boosted the 60 and below freq about 5 db, played Let Go by Exist Strategy full blast through my Westone 3, (clearly not a legit basshead setup even) and damn near had a orgasm in my head lol

what I'm getting at is, I'm pretty sure I belong here.  subbed and will slowly read thru  
cool.gif

We welcome folks with gifs...were too burnt out and deaf to afford the "t" :wink:

Welcome

Any questions anytime

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #3,800 of 12,991
So HBB, would you recommend the pioneer and the Sony IEMs?

I will keep this in spoiler since it's IEM

The Pioneer are cool but for 300 bucks and rough mids...nah. Good basshead bait but I wouldn't buy or rec if quality was important.
The Sony XBA-A2 and A3 are really good and can eat the cayin bass switch and the full pot on low gain and a mild boost on the X5

Was having a ******* blast listening to AC/DC with em...lots of good drum kick and clarity....that BA system really is the balls.

BTW...just got a PM from someone who listens to Techno and they are not happy with the MA. I listen to rock and stuff and love them as open backs so if you want the ma for bass you better think twice. You can get sweet kick drum but these are for vocal/guitar stuff. Love em...but not techno friendly

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #3,802 of 12,991
Hawaiibadboy, seriously? "I listen to rock and stuff"?
Wasn't this the extra bass club?
smily_headphones1.gif

I listen to Rock, Classical, Hawaiian,Reggae, and Hip Hop/Rap

I grew up on.... (Rock) and grew into... (Hip Hop)

Seeing a classical Concert at the Half Shell on July 4th as a child in Boston and feeling the power through my body that a full orchestra pumps and the shell shoots out was epic. I found that same audio/physical combo in Hip Hop and Car Audio comps later.
I gotta feel the bass whatever I listen too.
Rock is like a photo album as the songs mark moments in my life.

I make custom themes for X5's now
biggrin.gif

There is no set of headphones on the planet that are sold to the general public that hit like SZ when amped and eq'd proper.
I listen to Pink Floyd and all kinds on my SZ but debating veil and teaching eq or watching folks not even change the ******* pads got old so I support the true bassheads and try and help the wanna be's. It's a 50/50 prop it turns out right.

Best cans for low listening volume are the 70mm ma900 as vocals and guitar are sweet as **** but I need to replay that **** sometimes in beast mode and the SZ come out.

/OT

Not really OT as I just explained how a basshead was born....at a classical concert
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #3,803 of 12,991
Apr 1, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #3,804 of 12,991

We welcome folks with gifs...were too burnt out and deaf to afford the "t" :wink:

Welcome

Any questions anytime

Thanks brotha 
beerchug.gif

I see ur youtube link there, apparently I been watching some of your vids already, nice to see reviews from someone who take hip hop into consideration!  keep doing ur thing

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #3,805 of 12,991
I just explained how a basshead was born....at a classical concert
biggrin.gif

That's a nice Story.
also like Classical btw.
Not listen to it a lot, but I like it.

I feel your concern about people.
It must be difficult with a thread like this an lot of people coming and asking the same and the same.
It is cool that you are still here answering.
This we have it in common, the attitude of helping and the passion for sharing our knowledge with people with the same passion.

I am eager to learn bro.
Can you teach me more about bassy headphones?
My "limitation" is that I am not interested in cabled. But as said, the ATH-WS99BT are amazing to me. The bass could be even more powerful (I suppose I do am, indeed, a basshead), I would like it to have more body. They say Solid, but that is the only thing I miss, more body. More, density, less air. More dense rumble, more physical punch. Bass must be physical, a feeling, beside a sound. And they do well but can do more). And I am so much curious to try the new Denon (btw, I was meaning these Denon).
But maybe you can teach me other things.
We talked a bt of EQ.
Then of pads.
But, could you describe how different pads (dimensions, softness, material) affect the sound?
I have already ordered these to try them with the ATH. They have a strange plastic thing on the back, I hope they will fit. The way they fit on the Grado is different. But I think I can adapt them. Not much thicker than the original ATH ones, just 3mm more, but should be less soft.
Than I have read you lately talking again positively of the HM5. I may get them too even if so ******* huge.
Then I was thinking to get pads for the Kicker Cush as suggested by someone here (only problem, Kicker is very lame with answering, and their Distributor near me just does never answer at all).
And for what I understood, the pads of the AKG K845BT could fit and be also 3mm thicker.
It will be like 100 bucks of pads. Almost an act of love, to find the best upgrade for my favourite headphone.
Apart for trying different pads, what should I know?
I cannot imagine anything else than EQ and Pads for a BT Headphone.
Eventually Mods. But, no idea.

Well, I was investigating on the best music players for Windows.
Best for quality of sound, resampling, and management of the gain and auto gain to avoid distortion when I boost the EQ.
Neutron in Android has got this function. Impossible to make it distort.
MusicBee for Windows has got a manual gain, and the EQ is nice, it goes down to 32hz (foobar is 55).
I was trying to find the most reliable player also to be sure than when I test headphones and I find distortion it is not the player.

Then I was also thinking about if using some programs to test headphones, so to produce high quality frequencies and have more objective results, less variables. But I have no idea where to start from. Anyway this trascends the basshead theme... :D

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #3,806 of 12,991
Hey! Been lurking for a while in this thread trying to figure out the best way to satisfy my desire for bass while being capable of maintaining a suitable balance for the other genres of music I enjoy. Not gonna lie, there's an absurd amount of information on these forums let alone this thread so thought I would just ask the experts so to speak on the best way to move forward.

Currently have an old pair of v-moda m80's and a jvc ham55x (which were a step up with bass but sound somewhat distorted and buzzy probably due to poor EQ on my part). The v-moda's actually sound great but have no bass. This set up is for at home PC use. It's driven by my motherboard's onboard sound card and an audioengine d1 dac.

My music preferences wildly vary and I'm trying to pin down what could work well in a range from punk music like Bad Religion to rock like Queens of the Stone Age/White Stripes to really heavy bass filled hip-hop such as the Wiz Khalifa track that is often used in the bass paper test (which is a favorite). I also like deep bass in electronic music such as:

I have a few hundred bucks to upgrade my headphone game. Does this unicorn exist? Based on your list, I'm currently leaning towards either upgrading to the jvc hamr77x (which don't seem apt to care for my other musical tastes) or based on some other posts in this thread the ATH-WS99. Any ideas on how I should proceed or anything else I can do to improve things?

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #3,807 of 12,991

That's a nice Story.
also like Classical btw.
Not listen to it a lot, but I like it.

I feel your concern about people.
It must be difficult with a thread like this an lot of people coming and asking the same and the same.
It is cool that you are still here answering.
This we have it in common, the attitude of helping and the passion for sharing our knowledge with people with the same passion.

I am eager to learn bro.
Can you teach me more about bassy headphones?
My "limitation" is that I am not interested in cabled. But as said, the ATH-WS99BT are amazing to me. The bass could be even more powerful (I suppose I do am, indeed, a basshead), I would like it to have more body. They say Solid, but that is the only thing I miss, more body. More, density, less air. More dense rumble, more physical punch. Bass must be physical, a feeling, beside a sound. And they do well but can do more). And I am so much curious to try the new Denon (btw, I was meaning these Denon).
But maybe you can teach me other things.
We talked a bt of EQ.
Then of pads.
But, could you describe how different pads (dimensions, softness, material) affect the sound?
I have already ordered these to try them with the ATH. They have a strange plastic thing on the back, I hope they will fit. The way they fit on the Grado is different. But I think I can adapt them. Not much thicker than the original ATH ones, just 3mm more, but should be less soft.
Than I have read you lately talking again positively of the HM5. I may get them too even if so ******* huge.
Then I was thinking to get pads for the Kicker Cush as suggested by someone here (only problem, Kicker is very lame with answering, and their Distributor near me just does never answer at all).
And for what I understood, the pads of the AKG K845BT could fit and be also 3mm thicker.
It will be like 100 bucks of pads. Almost an act of love, to find the best upgrade for my favourite headphone.
Apart for trying different pads, what should I know?
I cannot imagine anything else than EQ and Pads for a BT Headphone.
Eventually Mods. But, no idea.

Well, I was investigating on the best music players for Windows.
Best for quality of sound, resampling, and management of the gain and auto gain to avoid distortion when I boost the EQ.
Neutron in Android has got this function. Impossible to make it distort.
MusicBee for Windows has got a manual gain, and the EQ is nice, it goes down to 32hz (foobar is 55).
I was trying to find the most reliable player also to be sure than when I test headphones and I find distortion it is not the player.

Then I was also thinking about if using some programs to test headphones, so to produce high quality frequencies and have more objective results, less variables. But I have no idea where to start from. Anyway this trascends the basshead theme... :D

Just touching on pads for now. The denser pads..the firmer ones really pass the energy through to your skull. Pds cover around 1/3 of the side of the head so if your getting bass strong enough to shake your neck meat your doing well. Soft pads eat the energy but are more comfy. it's a balance..gotta sarifice a little of one for a little more of the other

Quote:

Hey! Been lurking for a while in this thread trying to figure out the best way to satisfy my desire for bass while being capable of maintaining a suitable balance for the other genres of music I enjoy. Not gonna lie, there's an absurd amount of information on these forums let alone this thread so thought I would just ask the experts so to speak on the best way to move forward.

Currently have an old pair of v-moda m80's and a jvc ham55x (which were a step up with bass but sound somewhat distorted and buzzy probably due to poor EQ on my part). The v-moda's actually sound great but have no bass. This set up is for at home PC use. It's driven by my motherboard's onboard sound card and an audioengine d1 dac.

My music preferences wildly vary and I'm trying to pin down what could work well in a range from punk music like Bad Religion to rock like Queens of the Stone Age/White Stripes to really heavy bass filled hip-hop such as the Wiz Khalifa track that is often used in the bass paper test (which is a favorite). I also like deep bass in electronic music such as:

I have a few hundred bucks to upgrade my headphone game. Does this unicorn exist? Based on your list, I'm currently leaning towards either upgrading to the jvc hamr77x (which don't seem apt to care for my other musical tastes) or based on some other posts in this thread the ATH-WS99. Any ideas on how I should proceed or anything else I can do to improve things?

What amp are you using?

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #3,808 of 12,991

What amp are you using?

The built-in amp in the audioengine d1 dac. I got it at the time to use with the studio monitors I've got hooked up to this PC. I started doing some reading and it seems like this may be a bottleneck for a lot of headphones. Most of the talk about amps in this thread refer to portable ones for digital audio players or phones so I was unsure if this was adequate.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #3,809 of 12,991

The built-in amp in the audioengine d1 dac. I got it at the time to use with the studio monitors I've got hooked up to this PC. I started doing some reading and it seems like this may be a bottleneck for a lot of headphones. Most of the talk about amps in this thread refer to portable ones for digital audio players or phones so I was unsure if this was adequate.

Cayin C5
FiiO e/12

I know as Iown those they will get the maximum bass most cans can handle (power wise)and are over the line for safe listening levels.

The Cayin is particularly impressive for basshead and anything else. It's a beaut....and a brute.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #3,810 of 12,991
Thanks

Cayin C5
FiiO e/12

I know as Iown those they will get the maximum bass most cans can handle (power wise)and are over the line for safe listening levels.

The Cayin is particularly impressive for basshead and anything else. It's a beaut....and a brute.

Thanks. I'll be sure to invest in a proper amp.

One thing that I was sort of curious of is that this thread has no real mention of on-ear headphones. Granted I'm certain you can't get reach the same level of bass that you can with over-ear, surely there must be something out there that can reach respectable levels. Have you ever tried the Sennheiser Urbanite (not the XL) or Momentum? I tried finding a "bass test" for either but came up short.

I actually prefer my on-ears if I'm wearing them for extended periods of time. Partly because they're more comfortable for me with glasses on, and over-ears make my ears hot over a period of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back